Sidi boots are they great quality

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by vfrfly, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    It's a little hard to buy into, that the really fast guys are wearing leathers and boots, helmets or even skivvies that we the great unwashed slow guys can buy online. Sort of like WSB racebikes are just stockers with a couple of tweaks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, you get lousy boots you're certainly entitled to bitch about it, but why not iterate why they are garbage? Did the soles fall off, the zipper quit working, the leather tore at the seams, inner liner tore, you get the picture. Just saying a product is garbage doesn't exactly lend your rant any credence. And you listed 2 products and then "etc, etc," which means every other brand out there is also garbage?

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah I'm pretty sure the boots Marquez and Rea wear are a bit different than what you buy off the shelf at Moto's R Us!

I know that both Alpinestar and Dainese may design their gear in Italy but their assembly and maybe even materials usually comes from one of the Slavic countries! A few Astar pieces I own were made in Vietnam. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

4. Badbilly

United States
    Never trust a Slavic cow I always say except when in San Pedro.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Had Corbins, advertised as the "worlds mose comfortable boots" :bs: Returned them and they held on to them for three months and returned the same uncomfortable boots. AlpineStars got destroyed racing, Prexports disintegrated carbon fibre and all. Have another pair of cold weather Prexports and they are ok, toes are almost worn through. For me, the best street bike boots are the Bates Fast Lanes. One pair must have 100,000 miles with a date from the manufacturer 1991.

Liked that boot picture of the "fast guys" pretty kewel.

Not to be confused with "Das-Boot" Hate sub-titles :loco:

6. Badbilly

United States
    Bates boots may be outsourced. Joe Bates original shop was in Lakewood, CA. Two ladies owned it for awhile and the shop was relocated to Signal Hill. I had a hand me down full one piece set of leathers that I got from a buddy that worked for Joe. The ladies later made some kick ass great gloves. Met them at the first CW Cycle show in Seattle..

Threre were a total of 12 fast guys the flew the X15, so those boots as opposed to Das Boot numbered 24 plus the same boots worn by the Mercury Astronauts and various pilots atternding the USAF Areospace Pilots Research School. Some of the Dehner designs go a back to pre Das Boot (1981) when first shown in theaters with subtiles. One version of the Dehner boot are from WWI tankers. The zip up the front Troopers were designed by General Curtis LeMay for quick donning when we had to put a SAC B52 in the air in a hurry.

The original Das Boot was a five hour miniseries that is, I understand, on DVD. The English language directors cut (2 hrs+) is great. Herr Prochnow speaks flawless English and I think it's his voiceover on the directors cut. Hell of a film!!!

Saw it in Seattle in 81.

The Dehners that are shown and not shown were worn over full pressure suits . Some of the sizing was, depending on the suit compensated for the pressurization capability of the particular suit or not when the physical constraint of the boots was sufficient to compensate for a ambient pressure loss or a cabin pressure failure. The guys flying the X15 were not all that big. The cockpit is small. Not a clue as to what sizes the boots actually were, since each pilot had his own gear...Sort of like the bike "fast" guys , so a good guess sez that the dudes here can probably get any size to fit. McKay was a hefty dude and Joe Engle was around 5"10 or so.

Gotta have good shoes when flying "high" at damn near mach 4. ....and I never saw a harleydood with a pair of Dehners either...LOL..