Single Sided Swingarm on VF500F?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by BLIGHT, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
  2. ligurt

ligurt New Member

Italy
    Hi, did you encounter any problem fitting the nc30 tank on the vf500f frame? I mean carbs air box, bolting holes, etc.
    Thanks
    Pietro

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Holy 4 year thread resurrection! Good read nonetheless :)

4. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    this is super cool. Makes me wan to do the F3 front end swap on mine more than anything, but still some awesome engineering. I wonder if there's a thread documenting the f3 swap that I can look at. I know everyone wants to relocate the fuse panel but I actually really like it where it is.

5. BLIGHT

BLIGHT New Member

United States
    Thanks guys.... the project was 95% finished when life and work just got in the way. Sad to think it's really been 4 years??!!
    The VF500 is land-locked by 6 or 7 other motorcycles in my garage. I can see it, just can't get to it easily.
    The F3 front end conversion is top notch! I used my VF500 forks on another project (VT500 cafe conversion!)
    I've done several other projects since then. Someday there will be a shortage of CBR 600F3 forks & wheels.
    Latest project is a VFR1200 customize. What a bike!. I need to sell a car to make more garage space for bike access!
    Cheers,
    BLIGHT

6. BLIGHT

BLIGHT New Member

United States
    Also... I picked up a genuine NC30 alloy frame from the UK... someday, I want to see if my VF500 engine will slip in without major hassle.
    The wheels, forks, and rear swingarm just bolt to the NC30 frame so it's an idea with merit.
    I need to check with DMV and see if they would re-register it as special-construction with the alloy frame, like the chopper dudes get away with.
    It's currently registered with the OEM steel chassis VIN number.
    Of course, if the VF500 motor won't fit the NC30 chassis, then oh-well.
    I also picked up a spare NC30 rear swingarm and rear wheel just because they are so hard to come by here in the USA!
    BLIGHT

7. ligurt

ligurt New Member

Italy
    Blight I know it's super sexy to see your own thread being resurrected after so long time, but you didn't replyed to the first question about the fuel tank :courage:. Here's what I'm going to fit on my vf400f badly photoshopped. The black one is my old bike, while the coloured one with diamond frame is what I'm planning to build. To say the truth everything is ready in my garage. I just need the time and some more money to finish the project. I also add two images of the vf500f yoshimura stage two cams a friend bought in the USA many years ago and used on his vf500f. They seems to fit the vf400f as well as written on the data sheet. I payed 600 dollars! I hope they worth the money I spent. img063.jpg IMG_20160513_125928.jpg IMG_20160401_195321.jpg honda-vf-400-f-01.jpg copertina copia copy2 red.jpg

8. BLIGHT

BLIGHT New Member

United States
    Sorry... I responded to the tank questions directly to the poster. The NC30 tank does indeed fit the VF500 steel frame with some mount bracket trimming.
    Super-sexy? hmm, I thinking not so much. Depressing reminder actually that I never finished it up!
    Good luck with your ambitious project!
    BLIGHT

9. ligurt

ligurt New Member

Italy
    if you are not a phantom you are still in time!
    Thanks for the encouragement.

10. willi777

willi777 New Member

United States
    Not finished, but has kept many inspired, i assure you. Time for another 4 year resurrection... the question of whether the 500 motor will fit in the NC30 frame was asked over at greybike.com, VF500 engine in an NC30? http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24169. The answer was- a 97 VFR750 was stufffed into an NC30 frame, so the 500 should fit easily. http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18988&start=0
    Actually they said why bother with the old tech cam-eating, valve-swallowing 500 when a more modern and bullet-proof gear driven cam 750 will fit. Can't say i'd argue with 89 reliable Honda hp, but how much heavier is the 750 motor compared to the 500 mill?

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    "The answer was- a 97 VFR750 was stufffed into an NC30 frame"

[​IMG]