single vs. double

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cstmvfrguy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The bike was an 86 with a third gen swing arm and wheel. I figured that would be my starting point.

2. willi777

willi777 New Member

United States
    Definitely keep us posted, with pics if you can. I've only seen one first gen bike (in the link a couple posts ago) with a SSA... and that was just a mock up.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Well I am too much money into it to not see this through and I have done far more ignorant things. I wiil start to post next week.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Well I started today. This will be a little more of a pain than I had hoped for. I have to order bearings to fit the swingarm to the 86 frame bolts. Kinda beating a dead horse until I get a central point for wheel and chain alignment.Don't laugh but I am on dial up and have to go to a friends house closer to town to post pictures. I will try to post pictures this weekend.

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Whats dial up?

6. supertex

supertex New Member

:pound:funny

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The 86 is torn down and swing is mocked up in the frame. Pretty close fit . Trimmed 1mm off left outside of arm and 0.5mm of both sides of right. The left side is a floating bearing on both 86 and 01 swing arm so it just needs to fit in and decided to cut down 01 bearing insert to mate with 86 pin.Right side sets side to side so an insert will have to be made to take up clearance from bearings to pin and then I will cut spacers as needed to fit . Pretty straight foward so far. After mounting is done I will know where the wheel is on center and it looks very close so I should be able pick up right with brake spacer or left with wheel hub. Chain alignment is off so a new drive sprocket will have to be made to space it out but there is plenty of room . I will adrress ride height and linkage when I am done with machine work next week.

Attached Files:

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I D on left bearing putting up a good fight. I'm still on this . When my ducks line up I will post again.

9. supertex

supertex New Member

Anything new?

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Time

Funny you should ask. Got the left bearing back today from a qualified machinist and fit the swing arm in. Need to set side to side on right side of swing arm and then I can center wheel that looks vary close to center all on its own.I have had to install Heli bars on 07 , repair a damaged a arm on a civic(torn off), do a seized top end on a xr50, try to part out a 01 VFR 800, figure out why a xr 400 wont start , try to keep 86 cluster f@#%#@^$ lined out and pull down a day job. Do not take it as whining , just a little strung out. I am going to try to take some time off to finish parting out 01 and get side to side spacers cut on Friday. I will post pics when I get time.:ncb:

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Left side

The left side is really easy to explain. The OE 01 bearing was cut down in length to 45mm and the ID was cut to match the OD of the 86 left pin. It is a floating bearing so this was really easy to do, left and right is not an issue here it just needs to fit and not touch the frame.The picture is of the left side pin and the bearing cut to length and the ID to match OD if pin. I know most of you are used to a through bolt to mount a swing arm but in 86 the crack they were smoking made the pins look like the way to go .

Attached Files:

12. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Right side

The right side is a little more complicated. The OD on the 86 pin was really quite small , so I made a spacer to span the gap from the 01 bearings to the pin of the 86. It is the long thin spacer in the picture. The two OE 01 spacers were cut down by 3mm . The far right spacer is the small one in the picture and it was cut to be flush with the swing arm pivot and a stainless shim made up the be the mounting surface on the frame. The shim was only needed to provide a surface for the bearing to contact hte frame, I was worried that the spacer would wear into the frame due to its small size and the OE 86 spacer was made with a large surface area to prevent that.This may sound complicated but its really very straight foward when your looking at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. cstmvfrguy

cstmvfrguy New Member

Map
    that's awesome you sound like you need somethin to do with your time.

im glad your tackling this project sounds like you got it going pretty well.

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Right side

On the inside of the right side the spacer just needs to fit in and when bolt is tightened it pulls insert over and pulls the whole thing over to the frame, and frame and locks it down.

Attached Files:

15. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    project manager side bar

The project manager would like to mention that none of the 86 parts were altered in any way and the bike could be back in original condition in an hour or two.I would fire this jackass if I had a thumb.:crazy:

Attached Files:

16. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    nice job , that project manager looks like he is a hard nosd one , but he probably has a soft side for .......oh, rubber balls and jerky treats....

17. supertex

supertex New Member

"Funny you should ask. Got the left bearing back today from a qualified machinist and fit the swing arm in. Need to set side to side on right side of swing arm and then I can center wheel that looks vary close to center all on its own.I have had to install Heli bars on 07 , repair a damaged a arm on a civic(torn off), do a seized top end on a xr50, try to part out a 01 VFR 800, figure out why a xr 400 wont start , try to keep 86 cluster f@#%#@^$ lined out and pull down a day job. Do not take it as whining , just a little strung out. I am going to try to take some time off to finish parting out 01 and get side to side spacers cut on Friday. I will post pics when I get time."

Is that all? :wink:

Sounds like you could use five minutes of down time and a hot cup of tea.:smile:

Looks great so far. Seems you have everything handled. Can't wait to see it mounted. Expect it to look great.:thumbsup:

18. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    mounted

I installed the swing arm for the last time (hopefully). All went as planned . The wheel is very near center but still need to measure it.Now I am on to the shock linkage. It looks pretty staight foward up to the shock itself. The 86 is a fork style and 01 is a block design and way too long. the 86 would be a dead on fit if it were the other style. I have been pleased with commonality of all the parts and bearing sizes. Spent all day at the bone yard finding a shock that was what I needed and will have to resize a couple of bushings . Will post on that when I unf@#* it all.I will pick up the pace a little now that a couple of project are done and 01 is parted out.

Attached Files:

19. cstmvfrguy

cstmvfrguy New Member

Map
    i am glad you responded to my question now when you get it complete i'll give ya my address and let you come put it on my bike lol in all seriousness it looks super clean.

20. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    ok

Done. I work for Caterpillar and we do engine repowers and any kind of custom hose , electrical, mechanical b/s needed. It's the first one that kills you , the second or third one is a snap. Bring it.With some parts please. And beer.Coors light in the bottle.:biggrin:I could bang the next one out in 14 days tops.