Solo Denver to Seattle Bike Trip

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by tacomaviffer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    Autozone has FRAM filter in stock (I remembered no K&N from this forum). No motorcycle oil (I bought at cyclegear). Fortnine on youtube has a pretty good camping video. Think Hammock to sleep on.

tacomaviffer likes this.
  2. tacomaviffer

tacomaviffer New Member

United States
    Guys. I'm sorry but I've been busy and have not logged in for a few days. I really appreciate the input, oil change is something I had not considered, but will now! I imagine I will slightly overpack, but camping does require some gear, and I want to avoid hotels as much as possible. I looked at weather patterns and figured I would be ok, but will proceed with caution at high elevations! I think I will forgo the chair, hammocks are great!!!! Unsure about clothing, but I am a cold person so will need to bring warm layers, especially for night. GETTING CLOSER!!!!!!!!!!!

3. tacomaviffer

tacomaviffer New Member

United States
    Also who makes the most VFR friendly tank bag? I'm thinking small-mid size like 10-15 litre. I found a couple joe Rocket Manta bags on CL cheap, but they look ridiculously small. Seems like a water bladder would be a good idea for the tank bag in summer.

4. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Kriega make an adapter to take the US series of bags as tank bags, expensive but once you've got it it'll always be very useful

I'd take some knee grip material for the tank, gripping the tank lightly takes a lot of strain of your arms, I frequently travel long distances over 2 weeks and covering decent mileage day after day I always find my arms get the worst on the VFR .... I could slow down I suppose ...

I have no idea what these soft ass fairies on here are on about needing to replace the OEM seat, it's fine

Zeta likes this.
  5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Don't bother packing an oil filter. Readily available at any auto parts store. I use the Honda Civic filter. Slightly larger but on my 6th gen, the coolant hose can be moved easily enough to get it in. The only difference between the two is the car filter ha more capacity.

Trakrat and duccmann like this.
  6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Randy do you have a part # for that filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tacomaviffer

tacomaviffer New Member

United States
    I'll take the tank grip under advisement, I've got a bit of a sore lower back and trying to get kinks worked out before I leave, (got bar risers), I have spent a lot of time on bicycle seats, any padding is a luxury!
    Tank grip is a great plan! I'm looking for more tank bag functionality than the Kriega, like clear map /cell phone holder area, Also want magnetic so I can quickly remove it with valuables.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Not with me right now. I am out and about with the wife and Fifth wheel camping. I will be back end of the week. But it is easily found at the counter where these are sold. There is usually a book on hand most of the parts stores I have dealt with including Wally World. I put them in my wife's 2010 Honda Civic, my son's 2003 Honda Civic. I would be willing to bet all recent Honda Car or lite trucks (within the last 20 years) use this same filter. If I can manage to find it on line, I will update the post. Otherwise I will have to wait till I get home.

duccmann likes this.
  9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I am sure it is this one: 3323
    I am also sure it is the same filter number regardless of who the end seller is ie: Bosch or Fram. Just that Bosch is a filter. Fram is toilet paper wrapped in a tin can.

Trakrat, Bubba Utah and duccmann like this.
  10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Cool thanks
    Enjoy the fifth wheel livin.
    Hope the weather is great.
    107 here today in SoCal

Bubba Utah likes this.
  11. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Ducc, It's not much better here in Utah. 99 though I will take the 8 degress less any day!

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yah I know, my grass at my Herriman house is hurtin

Bubba Utah likes this.
  13. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    I picked up an inexpensive tank bag at cyclegear 3 weeks ago they had sedici on sale. I actually have gotten good use out of it. Cold drinks, or ice pack to be cool, extra gloves, the best part is it actually allows me to rest my chest on it during a long ride. I think it was like 10-15$ on sale from 40$

Thank for the info Randy on the filter! That's something I can put to good use!

14. dABIT

dABIT New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a Nelson-Rigg magnetic tank bag I really like. Has pouch and holder for water bladder, clear map pocket, expands extra 2", rain cover and converts to back pack so you can easily take it with you when you get off so you don't have to worry about someone taking your stuff. I don't use a phone holder I just put it in the map pocket. Think I got it on clearance from Bikebandit $50. Good luck on your trip, relax and have fun. misc 1218.jpg misc 1220.jpg misc 1221.jpg misc 1222.jpg

15. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    image.jpeg image.jpeg I did this same exact thing last August. Got a killer deal from Sun, paid deposit over the phone, and flew out after the weekend to pick her up and ride to Orlando (1881 miles). Took an easy 3 days fwiw.
    I was concerned about what to bring also. I ended up wearing my gear on the flight out( kevlar pants, t shirt, mesh jacket), and packing a couple pair of underwear, toothbrush, and and extra shirt in a small backpack that I strapped to the tail. Brought a small magnetic tank bag too. It is only about a $30 uber ride from the airport. They had me out in only and hour! They even installed a small usb pigtail (mine was Battery Tender brand. It plugs right into a battery tender plug and has a usb) to the batt for me so I could charge my phone et al. Brought a Ram mount phone holder for the stem and a long cord. Worked perfectly to use phone as gps, waze, music ect.
    I also brought Frog gear in case it rained. This was a great idea, because as it got cold at night I put it on and kept very warm.
    I wouldn't worry about an oil change, just do it when u get home. If ur worried, ask the dealer to throw it in...I bet they would, they threw in a couple things for me and also shipped my rear seat cover so it wouldn't get damaged!
    Ride went flawless. Seat and position was great. Do keep an eye on the chain as u will need to tighten it after about 500-1000 miles...easily done with te supplied tools in a hotel parking lot btw. Don't forget a small can of chain lube...can even buy it from the dealer or auto store in Denver.
    First 500 miles went sloooooow! But the rest of the trip was great.
    I did have a license plate screw come lose and lost it. Had to make do with a paperclip until I found another at a truck stop.
    Have a great time and be carefull.
    Troy