Spark plugs

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RVFR, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The replacement interval for my 97 is every 6k miles. I would recommend to stick with the standard NGK plugs as the irridium and platinum plugs run wider gaps and take more voltage than the coils are designed for. You may end up hurting the coil and performance.

2. DEZLPWR

DEZLPWR New Member

I have never heard this before... :confused: I run NGK Iridiums, and the gaps are the same as stock plugs.

3. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map

I would guess that if you are using the stock gaps then your probably ok. They platinum plugs run a gap of .090 compared to the stock .032 .... I bought the correct plugs for about $6.60 from a local autoparts store so I just stick with them.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I went with the stock plugs as I couldn't find any ND iridium plugs at the time, I also went .035 on the gap, she runs real sweat. Hmm sorry I missed that question on where that little rubber plug was, as I didn't dig in that deep, the shop tech was the one that told me what he found. therefore no photos.

5. rabbipal

rabbipal New Member

Hi guys .. I just did my plugs in the 5th Gen (VFR800i). Bike was starting to idle crappy in the mornings. Didnt want 2 wait for the Honda Stealership to open on Monday (did it on a Sunday) and only place I could find the plugs I needed was at Advance Auto Parts (Autolite 4302 - bargain at $1.66 each, pre-gapped to specs - I checked to make sure). The 1 set of plugs were easy to get to (under the seat/gas tank), just pop up the plug leads, unscrew the old plugs and screw in the new. The second set was in front of the bike directly behind the oil cooler. If I plopped the bike up on its center stand and knelt in front of it looking directly between the forks, you can see the oil cooler just above the front inner cowl. No need to remove cowl/fairing. Just unscrew the the 2 bolts holding the oil cooler up and let it fall forward. U can see the 2 plug leads behind it. Heres the kicker .. I have a socket driver lever that bends (got it at Sears for like 7 bucks for changing plugs on my old bike, a '93 FZR1000) so it was really easy unscrewing the plugs and putting the new ones in. If you don't, you have to get at them from the sides so you have to remove the cowl (I think) and the side fairing. Didn't take long .. maybe 20 minutes to do all 4 plugs. Bike fired right up .. the old plugs (NGK Iridium) at 16K miles (thats how much I have on the clock) were extremely fouled up. I am glad I did replace the plugs .. bike roars now (well, relatively speaking of course :) ).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  6. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map

Now that you have the system down pat - Start over and install some NGK plugs and get those POS Autolite out of that nice bike .....!!!!!

7. rabbipal

rabbipal New Member

LOL, was waiting for some1 2 give me grief over that. Ordered a set of NGK I's this morning of ebay ... next oil change gonna swap out the plugs as well. Figured the Autolites would tide me over for a few thousand miles at least. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  8. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Just about to tackle replacing the plugs on my 5th gen, hope it's not too much of a struggle!! I have the oem toolkit.