Stainless steel headers

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by pap11y, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Pap11y,
    Good stuff about the pipes.
    When you say an improvement in performance, is it top end as I keep reading??

2. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Headers

Quote: When you say an improvement in performance, is it top end as I keep reading??

Ok as I am no expert and even poorer with terminology here goes.

I find that the engine is beefier in low revs. My bike used to have flat areas and I would have to change gears more often. Now I can accellerate in low revs in 3rd and the bike handles it mush better.

I feel like I am getting more out of each gear and don't need to change gear as much as I used to. This could all be due to the idle though (not sure - they recommend it needs adjusting).

I'll give a final verdict after I get the bike dynoed (hopefully within the next 3 weeks - waiting on mechanic).

I think the headers did more for the bike than the rear exhaust, but replacing both is a huge improvement.

I am also hampered by the fact I have made multiple mods so am not sure which mod has done what :)

All I can say is my bike now is at least 50% more ridable and I am enjoying it heaps more with the full exhaust and new rear suspension.

3. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Cant wait to hear of the dyno report

4. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    Capt where did you get those rear sets?

5. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    You and I both :)

6. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Before you buy delkevic headers - Read this

Just an FYI before you buy these headers.. They do not supply clamps for rear header pipes where they link to the larger header assembly. These cost $90 from honda. I managed to source some but this is a real pain in the arse. They told me most people use their old clamps. Old mild steel clamps on new stainless headers... NOT likely. Also I was told by the dyno dude that because there is no hole for an o2 sensor it limits his ability to get the O2 mixture perfect. I was pissed about the clamps and delkevic have adjusted their ads to specifically mention they are not supplied. They are still a good product but its best to know these things..

7. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just put a stainless delkevic header system on my 2000 vfr and this eliminates the cat. , I also changed the muffler to a stainless delkevic stubby oval muffler., I have just installed a power commander and will bringing it in to be set up on a dyno in the next coupkle months.

8. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    It would be great to hear what you think since the change (without dyno).

There is talk about how much you get hp wise. I think its minimal (but I rarely rev past 8000 - I commute in heavy traffic), but the ride difference and ascetic value are high :)

9. pc_

pc_ New Member

These work perfectly, are stainless, and cost about $10 each.

Cobra Stainless Motorcycle Exhaust T-Bolt Clamps - BikeBandit.com

10. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I dont think I am going to gain much hp either and I may even loose horspower before I have it properly mapped on a dyno. Will let you know before and after mapping hp ratings I cant get out and ride....... still snow on the ground and salt on the streets so I cant try it yet ..... it sure sounds nicer !!
    I think stock at the rear wheel is about 90 hp and have heard of guys getting 106 hp with almost the same set up! Anyway its more just to make it mine and diffrent from any other 5th gen I come across, If I wanted faster I could by a diffrent bike........

11. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
  12. Adamant

Adamant New Member

Map

13. hawglet

hawglet New Member

They are a Harris rear set, and no longer available as I understand it in the States at least. I bought a set about 5-6 years ago. I wanted that same set, polished but they weren't available any longer so I had to get Black anodized. I don't remember the company name anymore but they were the importer for Harris and had sold the contract off to somebody else who was not going to carry these apparently anymore. I'm not sure if Harris even still produces them anymore. Salesman told me I was getting the last new set available in the States. Not too much too them if someone wanted to reproduce them but they'd need to talk to a good patent attorney before hand.

14. honda 4 ever

honda 4 ever New Member

hello i have a 2000 vfr also so u can take off the cats n not screw up the fi or do u have 2 get a power com n map it thanks

15. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    You need the O2 eliminators to stop FI light - I think.

You can buy them for approx $40. If you get a power commander they come with it.

I had a power commander before I had the headers so am not sure how ride is affected with headers alone.

16. honda 4 ever

honda 4 ever New Member

ok cool thanks for the info how did u like the power commander worth buying

17. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I think the PC changed the ride of my bike considerably. Feels like I have smooth accelleration in each gear. Also fells like I can wind it out longer.

Only downside is the lumpyness feel of the bike is gone.

It does make throttle control smoother in my opinion. Most power gains were at 9000 rpm plus according to my map so considering I commute every day, I never get to use this. That being said it is much smoother generally.

Just make sure you factor $300ish for the device and the same again for a custom map.

I really wanted to do the works on my bike. I think you could be happy with no PC and good headers/exhaust.

I did the pipe and pc3 first. I then did headers and PC map.

Next day it is nice (shitty weather in Sydney), I'll unplug the powercommander and tell you exactly what the difference is (I am keen to know for my own knowledge).

18. honda 4 ever

honda 4 ever New Member

thanks 4 the info i really like the bike the way it is just don't like the cat i think it chokes it down only thing id change is i would like a little crisper throttle response i have a Erion racing slip on the rest is stock

19. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Pap,
    How did you go with unplugging the pc3??

20. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I haven't done it yet. I want to back up my map. Also had the first day in about 4-5 weeks where I could ride on Sunday. Was still a bit wet up the old pacific hwy but good to be out again.

I'll let you know hopefully this week.