Starter needed for an 83 VF750F.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Outlawz24, May 28, 2008.

1. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey there guys...

My roomate recently bought my 83 Interceptor off of me and it needs a starter...the starter that i had gotten for the bike turned out to be a Sab/Mag starter which spins the incorrect direction for the Interceptor. So i need a starter for this bike..this part is the only thing thats keeping the bike off of the road.

2. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Can you swap the power leads on the starter and make it spin the other way?

3. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    It seems that does work since thats what wound up being done in the end..a lil bit of cutting and resoldering after repositioning the magnets and we have a reversed starter.

4. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    So, you were able to make this work? Does it function properly? That's a great option because I've heard of this happening to people before. It's difficult to tell which started it is from the outside so they are often mislabeled. Can you post some more details about what you did?

5. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    We were able to make it work. I will ask my roommate exactly what he did but from what i seen he cut the wires from magnets and their attachement points. Then he switched the magnets positions and resoldered the wires. So basicly he took the magnets that were once in the negitive position and moved then to where the positive magnets were and vice versa. I will ask him later today to confirm but if i recall right thats what he did.

6. LDESTRUKTO

LDESTRUKTO New Member

just wondering if you had more info on this rebuild for a sabre/magna starter... there are lots of them out there even rebuilds/new for 1/2 the price of the interceptor starters... so if a conversion is available please do let us know how it was done...

also since this is an older post how long did it hold out for???