Stray7Hundie Rebuild ?!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by RogueRC24, May 13, 2022.

1. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Great, looks like I am almost mission accomplished. Thanks again guys (you gotta say "guys" like Simon Crafar)!!
    Just going to clean the carbs exterior because I did not purchase any parts (i don't need a fuel leak because I cracked open the ancient seals). I would like to see what an oil change/coolant change and valve adjustment does first. Insulators are ruined so she may not run perfect.
    The bike was ridden regularly it's entire life so besides old fuel lines the carbs/tank were pretty clean. Tonight will be lube up the insulators and jam them carbs back on. Reconnect everything and take here down the block. The exhaust may hold me up a bit due some kind of better make shift connection on my part. Hopefully I can start welding next week. :)

Oil pressure rating on our v4 engines. 40-60 psi range?

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good luck!

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
  4. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Ah perfect!! Thanks again Mr. Smith! I am working with Eric (EYHonda) on some fittings. :) shhh top secret.

5. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Well, shit on a stick. There is no way in hell those insulators will let me back in. Hard as a rock, cut all to hell on each side. Used techniques learned here and on v4 dreams. I decided to be a good boy and pimp out my wife's jeep before she gets back into town.
    I also managed to do a fuel clean on the exterior of the carbs. They came out pretty dang nice. So off to purchase land to buy some gear to get this POS back into operational condition. Have a good night.

6. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Insulators are on their way. I also spent some time straightening the gauge/headlight subframe. I am now within a 1/8" straight on each side. I may have to do more but we shall see once I try out bodywork. Unless the engine takes a dump, I am moving forward with the RC30 bodywork. for the upper and lower. May keep OE tail. I still like the original tail very much.
    I made my block off plates yesterday. I think they came out nice.
    IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3203.JPG
    I don't have any cool M10-1.25 bold heads so I will head out to the hardware store and see what they have.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  7. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I messed with janky7hundie and the bastards at MRcycles sent me 3 not 4 insulators. I picked the best of the rest and put him back together. When I pulled the fuel tank I couldn't stop the flow, now I can't get anything out. time to tear down tank.
    Bike fired right up (external fuel bottle). Still a little knock going on, but whatever. I have heard worse and he could probably do another 40k. I ran out of effort last night and my 750 is crying for help.
    No revs past 6.5k. Actually runs out of fuel I think. Time for a carb tear down. I will order up some carb parts later and dial in the carbs.

I am assuming same jets/pilots as last time + fuel o-rings..etc

Back burner this proj/parts bike until further notice. Covid has gotten me and would rather put my 750 back together.

8. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    So.. can I convert an f2 triple set to fit the this 7hundie project? I was thinking of purchasing a lower, removing the long stem, cutting off the CBR stem and somehow (welding?) the stem into the F2 triple. bleh, just typing it sounds like a PITA.
    Or.. do the F2 and euro lower (41mm) triple have the same fork off set? Thoughts, opinions?

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The Euro 88-89 lower absolutely installs on a 86-87 as stock. Here you can see I modified the stops for the lower bars and 900RR fairings clearance.

20201011_154059.jpg

My first set-up on the RC26 was F2 triples and it worked fine, but there was some modding of course. I had the weld bead that held the post machined down on the Bridgeport and pressed the stem out. I then machined a chamfer to capture the split-ring that the VFR uses as it's "stop" when you press the post in. The F2/F3 stops have to be modified extensively to clear the frame. I also drilled them for adjustable stops.

Euro triples can be had, but they are not cheap. Usually over $100 to get them here. I've gotten lucky a few times as I am always scouring for them at a decent price. I think I got one for like $60 shipped from Germany.

The offsets between CBR and VFR are different, so you need a matching upper clamp for whatever set-up you choose. I chose to get a Euro upper (as seen in the pic), but I should have just got a 90-97 VFR, as they are much nicer looking. I thought the offset was unique to the VFR, but it turned out it was just different from F2/3.

I happen to have an F3 lower clamp that I am working on. Machined, chamfered and first round of stop mods done. I keep meaning to check my stop clearances in a frame. I may let it go if you want to go the CBR route, as I have enough Euro triples now.

RogueRC24 likes this.
  10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Every one of my 86 VFRs sound different. Quite different. I have gone thru the valve train and everything looks perfect and all have been adjusted by the same person (me). And they all sound different. They are not the quietest engines, but my 86 with 50K+ is by far quieter than the others with less than 20K. Go figure.

When I swapped frames on the RC26 and decided to go thru another 700 engine to have pre-installed in the frame and just swap everything else over. I always thought the fist engine was a little noisy. Well, the 2nd one that I went completely thru sounded exactly the same. So I have just come to accept that they have character.

RogueRC24 likes this.
  11. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    The knock is pretty good and according to a vid posted by Weezy ( https://vfrworld.com/threads/my-rc24-resurrection.59777/page-10#post-635513 ) is supposedly was caused by non-firing coil. Basically one cylinder was just dragging up and down no burning fuel/air. It is on my list to get to but work has gotten in the way again. I am still waiting on my last bits from powder coated so I can't even fire up lil-red. FACK!
    I ask about the triples because I need to filter out parts, but not sure what I can keep and what to toss. I will put more thought into how all this 7hundie is going to go, build wise this weekend.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Here's the F3 clamp I'm working on.

PXL_20220701_220244843.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220701_220300166.jpg

The F3 clamp is heavier than the F2, but also substantially stronger.

13. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  15. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    On it! Offer sent. thanks Capt.

16. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Just to clarify, do the main jets and pilot upgrades go for the 700 as well as the 750 or just clean and leave those carbs alone? I was going to order up the small parts to get this bike running best as possible.

17. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Put some 42 pilots in there for sure, 40 at the very least. Shit, I have 45 pilots in the RC26. Depending on exhaust, you can bump the mains. With a 4-1 mated to the stock headers, I'm running 125 mains in the RC26. Thing runs absolutely tits. I jetted my 86 750 that eventually donated that 4-1 very similarly, and when I went to stock mufflers I didn't change a thing. Still runs perfect on the modified jetting. Actually did a week long trip around NE British Columbia, many times in elevation with zero problems and still got decent mileage. These bikes are pretty forgiving I've found regarding jetting. If one is being finicky, you have other issues.

18. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Good deal, I will order up some jets and the necessary o-rings today.

19. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I just got my Ebay front fairing. It is in fair shape, but it did come with the windscreen so not too bad of a deal. Thanks for the find Capt. The guy put it in a box without any packing material. WTF people. Surprised it wasn't mangled. It should work for this project though. :)

20. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    I hear ya, someone shipped me a CBR600F3 fairing from the UK and it was wrapped in that clear cling wrap you cover your leftover food with. !! no box, no bubble wrap, just kitchen cling film.