Stumbling and surging

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by chainedlightning, Jun 26, 2012.

1. lshark

lshark New Member

be careful out there,i almost crashed on some black ice when i stepped onto my deck this morning !!!! tis the season

2. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

You're right, however they would need to put my red fairings on the new one, not to fond of the neon blue. Haven't seen the blue in person though and didn't like the red till I saw it at the dealers.

3. lshark

lshark New Member

i liked the blue better in person, i still like the red better (which i love ) don't like the grey center tank section..would like to ride one to see if they fixed the zbomb situation

4. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

If/when the problem on my bike is fixed the z bomb will be a must.

5. lshark

lshark New Member

best $64 you'll ever spend.....huge improvement...makes the bike much easier to ride...not just faster

6. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Most def...usually ride till they start salting. When I was sixteen some 25 years ago I rode my 83' Nighthawk 650 and then my 85' Interceptor 500 year round for three years. Bought bikes instead of a car, winter came and I asked dad to borrow his truck to go to work; he replied you spent your money on bikes you ride em! Ride I did through the 91' Ice storm and all.

7. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Just left work at 3:30 pulled up to a light and went to pull away sputter and stumble like it was going to stall then took off like a banshee almost throwing me. Dealership is on the way home so i pulled in, they can't believe it. Call Honda .

8. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Pete and repeat walked into a store Pete walked out who was left, repeat. Pete and repeat walked into a store Pete walked out who was left.......you get the idea.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. lshark

lshark New Member

check your state's lemon laws

10. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Think that's my only option, I told the dealer Honda could buy it back and use it in their R&D department. Trust me eventually one of their test riders would have it out and see what I'm talking about; hopefully he wouldn't get hurt on it. This sucks owned it 5 months it's been in the shop 2 of them. Cant enjoy or feel comfortable riding because you always have to be ready for it to act up. Numerous times it has done it around corners or merging into traffic. One word describes it, DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife says get rid of it, and what put someone else in jeopardy? Dealer says well a PC or juice box should fix it. Why should a customer have to dump $500 into a brand new bike for it to run right? Not to mention warranty would be void!

11. lshark

lshark New Member

law states that modifications to a vehicle cannot void warranty unless the problem was a direct result of the mos.... but shouldn't have to fix a new bike at your expense .. get in touch with DOT and register a complaint

12. DrMacDaddy

DrMacDaddy New Member

United States
    Map
    Mlloyd.....does Honda USA have a Lemon-Law that you could stress with your dealer to at least get the bike replaced with a same year/model/color bike? Intermittent problems are always a bear to get fixed, as they never seem to surface when you bring your failing vehicle in for service or repair. But you did say that you captured one of the events via a Go Pro video camera, right? Well, did you dealer take a look at that video coverage? Perhaps mount the camera so that it's focused in on the gauge console....close enough to pick up the audio of the engine. Ride it until it acts up again. As many cases as you've experienced so far, it's sure to act up again. Then you'll have video of the rpms dropping to nothing....then blasting up to redline limits, and the audio of the stuttering engine to back it up. Just an idea if the dealer pushes the bike back in your direction indicating that they can't find anything wrong. You spent way too much money and time on this crap already,.....but sometimes "evidence" is what they have to have in order to act from a corporate standing. I hope it gets resolved soon for you.

13. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

My whole problem with adding a PC or the like is that I am spending money on a bike that should be right in the first place, it's the principle of the matter and you can bet if I had any complications resulting in damage from running lean or with electrical involving the fueling during my warranty Honda would point in the mods direction. Not a variable I want to add to this equation at the moment. They already noted the Akrapovic pipe in my case and said it could be enhancing the problem. We all know this is :crazy: but just how they roll. Btw plugs they pulled looked like they were burning optimum.
    NYS does have a lemon law and does include motorcycles. The video I took does have audio and you can clearly hear the bike break up and see it buck as I accelerate around a corner (bwaaaa bup bup bwaaa). Honda is supposed to have their district manager contact my dealer and in turn contact me this week. The incident I captured was only a small example compared to how it acts sometimes. The snow is starting to fly in my area and frost is settling in so we will have to see what direction we go in? I really appreciate everyones posts on this matter and someone out there may have had the same issue and is now problem free? A few of the folks I am discussing this with thought they had the problem fixed only to have it act up 1k miles later. So disappointing. Really want to come out in the end with my bike running right and saying Honda really does stand behind their products.

14. lshark

lshark New Member

lemon laws depend on the state in which you live....i hate to say it but you need to lawyer up!!

15. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Trying to let Honda do the right thing, but I believe after this being the 4th time it would go into the shop, and the last time it was in more than 30 days we both know that this is pretty much it. They are also aware the forums I have been reviewing and am pretty confident they have been following this thread. I will keep everyone advised as this progresses. I know there are a few others on here with the same unresolved issue awaiting an outcome.

16. lshark

lshark New Member

the closest mine has ever come to doing anyting like that is when it was cold, just running for a minute or two and i stalled it pulling away after spinning the tire a little wet leaves.....it was very hard to start, but did and ran rough for a few seconds...otherwise the fueling is good (post Z Bomb, just ordered Z Fi and Akro slip on today !!! ) i really hope Honda takes care of you, because this is really an awesome bike ....check out the 2013 in black !!!!!

17. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Honda let me know because their tech can't reproduce the problem they can do nothing for me. So it sounds like those of us that have the problem are getting it stuck up our ass.

18. strada

strada New Member

Just got my call from ......Randy at American Honda (866 784-1870 ext 14416) ....informing me there is nothing they can do unless the dealer can duplicate the problem.

19. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Where do we go from here? Going to contact attorney general and try to go lemon route, but may be difficult considering the problem can't be replicated. I told Honda since it's winter in NY now, they could have the bike ship it to their R&D facility and drive it for 1500 miles and I gurantee the problem would happen. They replied we already drove it 50 miles to which I responded put some real seat time on it. We argued on the phone for half an hour at which point I hung up. Done with Honda!

20. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Randy is the same guy that called me. Apparently I pissed him off and ruined it for all of us. Getting the documents necessary from the dealer and contacting the attorney general to file a lemon law complaint. They said the Go Pro video was inconclusive because they could not see my throttle hand. Even though there was video of it bucking and audio of it sputtering.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012