Stumbling and surging

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by chainedlightning, Jun 26, 2012.

1. strada

strada New Member

Don't anything has to do with the startup time. mind had it's stumble on many different situations, once like you while feeding onto RT 95 and feeding quicklly to left lane exit. soon as I gased it the biked stumbled as car were coming up my butt. After the last service in which they checked all contacts it was good for 500 miles and then bang it happened again.

2. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Hey GenUserC15

The problem doesn't coincide with warm-up time etc. I've had the issue occur, early on in a ride, mid way, and close to the end of a ride.

mlloyd,

I doubt that calling Honda before a dealer has had a chance to look at the bike will do much good. You never know though. Is your bike stored for the winter or are you still riding it?

3. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Yea Strada, after our reps talked, he checked my harnesses, changed the plugs, reset ECU, and acted up within 25 miles of that.

4. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Up for the winter now that salts on the roads. you should make the claim with Honda at least it will be in their system.

5. GunuserC15

GunuserC15 New Member

I ride it almost every day. We're lucky here in Texas. Our bad weather months are late January till late March so we have plenty of riding time.

I'll call today and schedule a service time for the dealer to look at my bike.

6. GunuserC15

GunuserC15 New Member

Just called the dealer. He said before I bring it in I should check the battery cables for a loose connection.
    (Where's the roll-my-eyes imoticon?)

7. strada

strada New Member

GunuserC15........now the dancing will start! in my lemon law state you have to have brought the bike in at least 4 times before a claim can be made. Mine started at less than 500 miles

8. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Yea..battery connections? smh. They tried to tell me I got a bad tank of gas, possibly water. Oh you're running the recomended gas? try running 87 oh that didn't work probably because you should be running higher octane, oh that didn't work maybe it's your riding style...... Blame it on anything but a manufacturer defect or bad software. These are the idiotic insults that piss me off.

9. New2010VFR1200Owner

New2010VFR1200Owner New Member

United States
    I am having the EXACT problems with my 2010 as mlloyd. I have approx 5000 miles. WHAT is the solution? I haven't heard any answers. Somebody PLEASE let me know what you have done to fix the problem. I cannot ride this bike if it is going to stumble on me.
    Thanks!!

10. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Report to American Honda Powersports 1-866-784-1870 and then file a complaint with the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) Many people are experiencing this problem, but no one reports it, making it tough to make Honda step up and admit a problem. If everyone with this problem would report it to NHTSA then they would do an investigation and would probably come out with a recall

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  11. strada

strada New Member

I will second that! need to let Honda know about the problem.

12. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Unfortunately they have not given a fix. This is the sixth case in the U.S. that I have heard of and a couple in Canada, but I'm sure there are more. The problem is intermittent and dealer/ Honda Rep can never duplicate the issue customers are experiencing. Report as noted above and keep al documentation, if dealer writes a work order be sure it is very specific and typed or written in a logical order.

13. crakerjac

crakerjac New Member

Add me to the 'this happened to me too' list. 1300 miles on the clock and I experienced almost the EXACT same thing as stated in post #1.

The place I bought my bike is ~100 miles away so I'll have to see if my local Honda dealer will take a look at it. Not sure if this will do any good since it seems that this problem is difficult to reproduce.

I know previous gens had problems with the charging system... could this be related to that? From what I've read, this issue seems to pop up shortly after the bike starts... Maybe there is a relation to the battery/charging voltage and a sudden loss of power.

14. Volfy

Volfy New Member

Knock on wood... this has not happen to my '10 yet.

Noticed some discussion on "warm up". I don't start-n-idle any of my vehicles. Some folks call that "warm up". I always just start up and let run for 10-15sec tops to ensure good oil circulation... and go. I do "warm up" the engine by going easy the first few miles. Engine warms up much faster when it is in normal operation.

15. New2010VFR1200Owner

United States
    My 2010 VFR now has 8000+ miles on it and the problem has happened about every other month. It seems to happen not long after I stop for gas or am idling in traffic. I am beginning to believe that it might be vapor lock due to the use of ethanol. I can't think of anything else that would come and go like this. Not sure what can be done about this except a redesign for a better ventilated injector system. No response to the complaint that I have filed with the NHTSB and Honda cannot, will not deal with a problem that they cannot reproduce on demand. I am the stuckee.

16. alexdig

alexdig New Member

Have a look through the thread.
    All I can tell you is that I had the problem.
    The problem without question has been rectified.

17. alexdig

alexdig New Member

I have just under 4,000 kms on the bike since the counter measures were done on the bike.
    I can say with confidence that the problem has been fixed.

18. New2010VFR1200Owner

United States
    So what I can see is that you had your plugs changed and have gone about 2800 (4500km) miles without the problem recurring. You mentioned something about the Canadian solution but didn't say what that was or that you had applied it to your bike. Another post says that they had their plugs changed and that the problem recurred shortly thereafter. Can you be specific about what you did to your bike to fix the problem. This whole thread is a bit helter skelter what with flippant comments about floor mats etc. I am looking for some solid information. Thanks in advance.

19. VFR joe

VFR joe New Member

My CB1000R has done this a few times, and it seems its related to me driving off when the automatic choke is in use.
    (I know there is not a choke, but the EFI creates one).
    If I take a couple more seconds to simply rev the bike some, before I take off, its fine.

remember when bikes had a choke knob, and many would drive off with it on, only to have the bike not idle later, until a friend would come along and turn your choke off?

this might, might be what you are experiencing.
    just a thought, that's all.

20. crakerjac

crakerjac New Member

Would this foul out the plugs?