Super Charger

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by TOE CUTTER, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." For the cheap seats, that's "pot, kettle?"

Sorry TC, I'll refrain going forward...

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Ahhh... My bad

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    John,

Is he still selling the supercharger for the 5th gen? He's the guy that has the username Toro, right? I wonder how many people have actually bought them. Do you think the supercharger decreases engine longevity at all? Does it add weight or take away weight to the bike?

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Do it Reg! Who cares about longevity - you have a spare motor on the bench!

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

ask and you shall receive brother

6. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

I have always said that if there was a spare engine sitting on my floor I would do what I did with my GS500 and start checking valve piston clearance and go for a bigger camshaft and longer duration. Make it sound angry and have to idle the bike at 1500 to keep it running The cam is so big. Might give about 7-10 hp at the wheel but would add to the WTF is that bike factor because it would really lope like a V4/8. I have had great success with Web Cams Cold weld and regrind process. Which builds up the lobes and then they re grind an polish it all. If you go with a Blower then a mild-medium duration with a high lift if its any thing like Car motors. The GS cams are NA and set for no power below 4k and then from about 6k to 12k+ RPM it keeps pulling.

No real engine building has been done from what I have seen. The most effective way to get power with any motor now days is turbo/supercharge is the best bang for buck so I don't think anybody will. The Set of Cams alone will cost about 1200+. Then if you want pistons or if you can find that rumor big bore bike kit the go with another 2500 bucks. You will just throw money down the tube and have an NA engine with maybe a total of 25 Wheel horses more. That near the same price as the A&A kit with less performance.

What does get me if the A&A kit was tested why and the hell didn't he have the clutch slipping issue worked or is Toe boosting beyond the A&A recommended settings.....

Then the other factor is there Toe probably hasn't called his insurance company and told them, "Hey I put a Supercharger on my bike and its stupid fast now can you raise my rates to cover the additional risk and full 5k of accessories."

I want my thumb please........(back on subject)

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    No, no I did not and I ain't gonna.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    This is a very interesting thread - threadjacks aside. I love the power characteristics of my VFR. But who wouldn't want a little more power? Or maybe A LOT more power. Although I am not sure what I would do with 160+ HP in my sport-touring.

So, I am excited for TC that his VFR is a superbike. But I am also interested in his ride reports about how the supercharged bike rides on the touring end of the spectrum. I gather - and TC can correct me if I am wrong - that the Uber VFR is a sensible sport-tourer if the rider chooses to ride it sensibly.

I like that TC gives us the straight shit.

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The bike for the most part is unchanged for day to day riding. It does have noticeably more power all the time (no need to down shift to pass in 6th) but unless you whack it open in the first three gears at high RPM's it is just better smoother power. 40+mpg at 75mph......crazy power wheelies in second and in third with some love......it is a perfect set up once you get used to it and for the price it is a deal. Given the money I have tossed at mods in the past it is a deal at twice the price. The fact that the bike runs FLAWLESSLY is just a bit of icing on the cake. I was ready for some sort of disappointment (as you must be with any mod) but this is as advertised. It is the real deal.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I must put oot there that I do not baby my bike as those that have rode with will tell you, I ride it like I just freshly stole it. I was very worried aboot hitting the rev limiter after this mod and with good concern because it really makes a ruckus when I do but has not puked a valve and related parts.Sounds like a formula one car when missed under power. It is really hard to not bounce off the limiter when getting used to the power but part of the learning curve. Second gear is magical power and the hardest to get used to and get it stuffed into third withoot missing a shift is tough but comes around with time.

11. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I was reading about a guy who blew his 675 on my Trumpet board, and he made his gearing taller to make the power more gentle (just cogs - sprockets), any thoughts or needs of doing that TC?

12. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have gotten used to it and really like it the way it is and first is tall enough for parking lots and traffic.

13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Toe, what happens in 1st at about 6400 RPM?

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Vtec has no affect in first gear and the bike is just fine as long as you do not open the throttle too much.If you do go past aboot half throttle at any point the bike just stands up instantly.

15. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Hahahaha....I read this and said "WOW" outloud with a giddy chuckle and everyone around me at work just gave me a funny look.

LOL.....awesome.

16. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I did the same damn thing, that bike is sick sick sick!!

17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I should have known about VTEC in 1st, but I rarely accelerate hard from a standstill (1st) so I forgot.

18. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Tell the truth, Toe. The "Gee-Whiz!" factor must be amazing with a supercharged 6th Gen VFR. It must be fun to know - whether you prove it or not - that you can smoke the kids on their 600 supersports and maybe (?) the liter-bikes with your portly old tourer-VFR. That alone would be enough . . .

19. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    From a dead stop I am not worried aboot much.

20. y2kc0wb0y

y2kc0wb0y New Member

Always cool to be the first with something! Probably been said already (didn't read too far back), but People have taken stock Honda engines and added turbo chargers and superchargers for years in the automotive world. If you keep your AFR's in spec across the powerband, crankcase pressure down, there is no reason this engine will not last and last.

That said there is a limit to how much stress the rods or piston ringlands can take regardless of tuning. Likewise, superchargers create a lot of heat on the intake track so if you run lean at all you're probably looking at melting a piston without much feedback - but if you have good ignition timing computer you can control against that too
    :) congrats sounds like a fun fun bike.