SUSPENDERS

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by NIBBLER, Jan 12, 2020.

1. NIBBLER

NIBBLER New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Now I have your attention. I am changing my front fork internals and the fork bottoms to Firestorm Items. The stanchions remain VFR800 Fi1. In another thread on this site it’s stated that these internals and fork bottoms slip straight into the VFR’s stanchions. Thus, you should also gain the Firestorms compression damping functionality. However the part numbers are different on the schematics and there appears to be a small hole in the bottom of the VFR’s stanchion near the bottom bush which the Firestorm doesn’t have. Can anybody tell me if the absence of a hole is to allow the compression damping functionality on the Firestorm? If not what is its purpose and why doesn’t the Firestorm have it? Also stanchion lengths and internal diameters are listed as different. The diameter difference suggests that the fork caps are not interchangeable? Images at the bottom of the page...

VFR Stanchion specs:-

Outer Diameter: 41 mm
    Inner Diameter: 36.3 mm
    Length: 628 mm
    Top Connection: Internal Thread
    Bottom Connection: No thread
    Thread: M37 x 1.0

VTR Stanchion specs:-

Outside diameter: 41 mm
    Inside diameter: 36 mm
    Length: 633 mm
    top connection: threaded
    Bottom no thread
    Thread: 37 x 1.0
    Colour: Chrome

VFR Schematic:-
    upload_2020-1-12_11-54-35.png
    VTR Schematic:-
    upload_2020-1-12_11-55-22.png

Thanks

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I think the chrome tubes are different lenghts so you need to put all the internal gubbins out of your vfr into the vtr lowers. The only change will be the lowers

3. NIBBLER

NIBBLER New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks Darth. That would seem the only available option unless I swap out both the VTR stanchions and VTR Lowers. Lets see if anybody out there can answer the questions I have asked. It would have been good to get the compression damping.

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Insider

Canada
    Map
    I am not quite understanding... you want VTR lowers and VTR cartridges with VFR tubes... why not swap out the entire fork and you have it all, no fuss no muss? Sorry I don't know the answer to the hole in the VFR tube, but you might be onto something about the compression damping... again, I'd just swap the whole fork.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Map
    I didn't realize the VTR had external compression adjustment. They obviously both HAVE cartridge compression damping. I think a lot of people going this route tend to have custom damping done since they are apart in any case.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
  7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    VTR's don't have external compression adjustment, just the rebound adjuster needle which reaches from the fork cap down to the rebound valve. Compression damping bypass control is by way of a 0.1mm spacer shim between the valve and the shim stack (exactly the same/as bad/ as the VFR). The external hole in the stanchion may be to facilitate air purging during filling but it can't have any effect on damping, which all takes place in the cartridge.

I bought some bent VTR forks, threw away the stanchions and kept the lowers and the damper parts including (obviously) the fork caps. Reassembled that with my VFR uppers. All of which worked great, especially as I also had some decent springs and valving from DMr in there.

The extended fork length is controlled by the top-out spring on the cartridge meeting the lip on the inside of the stanchions; my recollection is that the cartridge dimensions are identical between the VFR and VTR so the fork length ends up the same using the VTR lower/cartridge and the VFR stanchion. In any case it is not a big deal to slide the forks slightly up or down in the triples if some ride height adjustment is needed.

NIBBLER and Captain 80s like this.
  8. NIBBLER

NIBBLER New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi raYzerman. Basically its easier and way cheaper to find slightly bent or badly pitted VTR forks and swap the parts. My stanchions are mint so I would really like to reuse. A decent un pitted whole VTR front end is a considerable expense by comparison. Also I want to do the job as I haven't done this before.

9. NIBBLER

NIBBLER New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi Terry. Thanks for the wealth of info and the explanation of the rebound adjustment needle. I cant understand how the fork caps fit thought as the I/D is different. If you say they fit then fair enough, you have done the job. Worst case scenario is I reinstall the VFR internals if I encounter a problem. Great stuff.

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    No worries; if you need any actual measurements I have my modified forks hanging in the garage (I sold my VFR with the 600F4i/6G parts installed). Figured I'd save these for some future project...