Tankbag and Tailbag comments/suggestions on Cortech, Nelson Rigg, and Road Gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by soundmaster31, Apr 25, 2009.

1. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Thanks for the pictures RedMenance. Is that the "Large" size? Nice to finally get some perspective of how much space it takes up on the VFR.

2. 3rdtimein

3rdtimein New Member

Map
    Soundmaster, email me your phone number and I'll explain both bag set ups. I had just typed a long description and my pinky smacked the escape key. I'm in Iraq and would just as soon not have to retype the whole thing. Let me know if you're interested. Sorry dude. Check these puics and I'll do my best to explain if your confortable with providing your phone number.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
  3. 3rdtimein

3rdtimein New Member

Map
    I see RedMenace has some pics which provide a good perspective of relative size. The pics I uploaded show (vaguely) the small motofizz bag on my XR650. Thank you RedMenace, I was equally interested in your pics since I just ordered the medium bag to mount on my C14 tail rack. And since I'm at it again, I may as well detail the Ortlieb drybag set up. \

So........The Ortlieb thin drybag panniers exterior are made of cordura and the interior is a rubberized coating. The rubberized coating is not el cheapo spray on or a liner, these are well crafted bags. They are no frills in the asthetic department. They use a "roll top" closure which would be like not using the "ziplock" strip on a ziplock bag and instead just rolling the bag down on itself. This closure works even when the bags are stuffed full, very WATERPROOF. Each side has strap with quick release buckles which secure to the bottom of the bags. These straps do not flop around, cannot fall into the drive system, and have tension adjustments at the buckles. Ortlieb makes two sizes, I have the smaller version (look on Aerostich.com) which have a snap-in PVC piece per side in the bottom. The mounting system has two, 2-inch heavy velcro straps that go over the seat (I've read these straps can be routed under the seat on some bikes, the Corbin saddle on my XR would not permit this). The velcro straps are also very well made. The stiching throughout is solid and each bag has extra plastic d-ring's on the front and rear for extra security of the bags sliding around. No "extra" straps are included with the bags but as good old capitalism would have it, Aerostich does sell applicable strap. I actually purchased these too, 8 straps cost $16.00 - each is 8 ft long and can be cut to length, won't get to see these till I get home next month. The smaller bags have a per-side area-volume that will easily hold 3-4 laptop computers folded up (for lack of a better comparison). The textile design allow items to be stuffed in tightly. The added d-ring securing points keep the bags from moving around too. The large Ortlieb pannier volume is stated as 2400 cubic inches to the thin bags 1400ci. One consideration is the amount of clearance you have between the pipe and textile panniers on your VFR (I almost typed VTR, sorry guys). Let me know if this helps.

4. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded New Member

Jeans and cotton sweatshirts will take up about 5 times the room that a synthetic clothing will. I can pack probably 7 pairs of synthetic pants in the same space as 1 pair of jeans. That should really help with your packing.

If you haven't picked up a tailbag yet, the Cabelas boundary waters duffel is fully waterproof and bombproof. Its not a "motorcycle" tailbag. But add a set of rok straps and you'll be fine.

Ditch the E21 saddlebags in favor of soft bags. Those are super tiny.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I see this thread is 1 1/2 years old so my suggestions might be worthless to you now but here's what I have. First photo was for a two week trip from South West BC to Central California. Second photo was a three day Kootenay Tour last summer.

Going to Cali, I had the Teknic tank bag folded down to its lesser capacity but fully extended for the second photo. I had no difficulty with any of them. And when I went to Cali, I had clothing and gear from basically three seasons.

ON REQUEST, I can post up photos of how things are attached courtesy of fellow VFRW Lgn001 and links to the pieces I have. Sorry for the delay, this is the first I have seen of this thread.

Mt Shasta  Apr 1.jpg 6.jpg

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

holy cow Randy, can you see over that tank bag???

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Actually you can rest your chin on it and ride. Not great if you are into technical corners though.

I rode for three days like that on the Best of the Kootenays Tour of SUmmer 2010.