Tassie trip planning questions

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Mark 024, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi everyone,
    I have just started planning a Sydney to Tassie trip for myself and a few mates for Feb 2011. There will be about 10 days around tassie. Basically leaving Devonport to Pipers Brook, on to Launceston, Scotsdale, down the east coast, Port Arthur, Hobart, Huonville, Strathgordon, Queenstown/Strahan, Zeehan, Reece Dam road,Wynyard, Murrawah and back to Devonport. On showing this to trip to a few blokes who have been and on the net research some have said I should be going anti-clockwise. This is due to being easier to climb up the corners overlooking Queenstown and the Sidling outside Scotsdale. If any of you have been around or live in Tassie I would love and appreciate your opinions. Cheers Mark :biggrin:

2. SJC

SJC New Member

Sorry I can't help you much with the trip planning but keep in mind that the world superbikes are on in Feb. at Phillip Island. You may be interested in including that in your trip plans.

3. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi SJC, Thanks for that. Ive been caught up in the Tassie leg and havent even looked at the trip down to Melbourne. I was hoping to include a visit to Phillip Island just to go around the track, hadnt got that far. Your suggestion is even better. Cheers

4. SJC

SJC New Member

No worries :thumbsup:

5. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi mate, going anti clockwise would be the best way to go, when leaving devonport i would go to the west coast via cradle mt then on to queenstown and hobart, there are many roads worth riding without getting on the h/way, make sure you have wet weather gear as the weather can be very changeable, especially the west coast, great roads well worth the visit, let me know if you need any further info, cheers

6. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Csb,
    Cheers for the info, I will just flip my trip and head west first. As you said I have read that the west is generally wetter than East. I will have a P plater with me who for obvious reasons is still a fair weather boy. My thinking for going East first was to get him used to the roads before tackling the generally wetter West coast. I really should stop baby sitting. Looking forward to it.

7. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Can any of the Tassie boys inform me if there is an abundant supply of High Octane fuel (95 or 98) around Tassie. I was reading somewhere (Australian Road Rider - I think) that said 'there was none'
    Can you guys shed some light on this??
    Cheers