Test rode the 1200

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by tinkerinWstuff, Jun 25, 2013.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Local used dealer had a 1200 sitting there for the last couple weeks. Planets finally aligned properly and I managed to take it for a test ride.

[​IMG]

I can see how people get past the looks and love this bike. The power delivery was great. The brakes were awesome. The suspension felt nice for stock setup. Smooth as all hell in 6th on the freeway.

The pegs felt pretty high compared to what I'm used to on the 5th gen. Between the ergonomics and how the engine delivered the power, I felt it was more sporty than the 5th gen.

Just wish I could try a DCT.

I was worried I might be ruined for my 5th gen. But a few miles down the road on her and I was all smiles again.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Take care Tink - test rides can be the start of a dangerously expensive slope:scared:, but you have done it now, so hassle the dealer to let you test ride the DCT, whilst you still have in mind how the stock 1200 feels.

You know you want to do it....:smile:

SkiMad

3. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    This was a used bike with 1,135 miles on it. The used dealer hands out test drives like a kidnapper van hands out candy. The bike looked like brand new still ( as it should). The salesman also volunteered to watch our two year old while we testrode a Wing.

Oh, that roar when the exhaust flapper opened was impressive.

If they ever get a DCT in there, I'll be on it like Oprah on a diet. (On it hard and back off quick as shit).

4. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    My DCT is in for service as I tap on my iPhone waiting for breakfast which I road to on his Multistrata demo's. It's always been the bike on the top of my wish list and this is my first ride on one. Wow, what a sound and has the torque I hope the VFR will come close to once the the restrictions are removed. Sure felt like a dirt bike on steroids after spending so much time on the Viffer. It sure didn't disappoint but I'm glad I choose the Viffer, but if anybody has a spare $20,000 to lend me it would make the perfect 2nd bike.

Don't try one Tink

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I chose a Ford Explorer over a Ferrari. Probably a good thing. Those Italian cages are expensive.

Will we see Tink on a Wing. Is he soon to be a Wingdinger? Stay tuned.

6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Could happen. And I'd be grinning ear to ear like the guy dating the nympho fat chick that loves to give head.

7. Badbilly

United States
    At the ton?

8. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Tink, obviously unless it's a DCT you're as likely to move as a Frenchman living next to a brothel. That's a pity until it happens.

I think - and I've said this from the start - that the whole "xth generation" was a huge marketing blunder of Honda. Now a lot of people who know Honda are still comparing the VFR1200 to the other VFR's. Not fair: it's a totally different bike altogether. Much more comparable with the K 1300 S for instance. And I chose it to replace my Aprilia Futura.
    The restrictions in 1st and 2nd were another major cock-up. We're not children or are we?
    I'm not saying anything - good or bad - about the DCT concept. Simply because I'm not interested and never rode one.

9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been curious myself. Did you like it enough to buy one?

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    If I was in the market to buy, it would get serious consideration. I felt the detuned 1,2nd everyone talks about, I'd have to look at peg lowering options, and of course a tailored seat.

Other than that low rpm 1,2nd gear thing... That power was sooo smooth and that shaft drive was like butter.

11. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    If I had the $$$, I'd have one. I may be in the minority, but I dig the looks.

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    It's ok jev, we have the same taste in other areas so you're still ok in my book

13. SinNH

SinNH New Member

Tink, how did the engine internals sound compared to the 5th gen's? :noidea:

14. Cafox

Cafox New Member

I am buying a 2012 VFR DCT next week. I can't wait to get some miles in on the bike, and do a write up myself. This will be my fist two wheeler. I am currently riding a Can Am Spyder. I an tired of getting stuck in traffic. I have been watching this forum for the last 7 months and it has answered a lot of my questions, and helped me decide on all the Mods I want. So thank you to everyone on here.
    I will be posting soon.
    Nikki

15. Badbilly

United States

Is jev the dude who is dating the nympho?

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Not sure how to answer that but it sounded like 15yr old new technology without the gear whine.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing more from you and your new bike.

I hope so