Thank God it isn't mine!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DanThornton, Apr 13, 2015.

1. DanThornton

DanThornton New Member

United States
    Map
    Had a friend who in the last couple of weeks bought an 86 VFR750 RWB. Bike is exceptionally clean. He bought it from the original owner. Less than 20,000 miles on it. Only problem is the bike has been sitting for about 8 years. So he knows it will have to have the carburetors gone thru. He picks up the bike which has a Kerker White Tip slip-on as the only modifcation. Owner has the original mufflers packed in boxes. This thing comes with a bunch of nice extras.

My friend gets the bike home and starts to go thru the bike. He finds there were mice in the air box which is no big surprise. Problem is the mice had been in there forever. Chewed though the filter and down to the carburetors. They actually chewed away a good portion of the slides on a couple of them. That was a new one for me to see.

I wanted to share the pictures of what the intake ports looked like after they got the carburetors off.

IMG_3460.jpg IMG_3462.jpg IMG_3462.jpg IMG_3461.jpg

I felt that all of you would appreciate seeing these photo's and as I called it, "Thank God it isn't mine".

That is all mouse urine. They couldn't get past the throttle plates but it is about the worst I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them. I did walk him thru cleaning it all up and it has. The valves do not appear to have any disscernable leak down. Sticking a camera inside the cylinders and looking didn't show anything else. He bought a set of carbs off eBay and will be redoing the ones he has. I suggested junking them and buying a good set but he didn't want to spend the money! LOL

Hope the pics make you all laugh and be thankful that you don't have to deal with cleaning up the mess.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe the dudes from Practical Sportsbike Magazine can help him build a better mousetrap.

3. zxn9ne

zxn9ne New Member

I bought my first bike as a project with no battery so I couldn't start it. It was a good enough deal so I didn't give it a second thought. This is what I found. [​IMG]
    Rat poison pellets in the carbs...and intake manifolds.
    [​IMG]

At least the mice left the wiring and carbs in tact.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You truly are the VFR Troll of the Year. So good at it, you should take up fishing along the lines of that River Monsters dood. Can I suggest you switch it up and do it in broken English, or some other type of spin, for even better comedy. You know, take it to the next level. Don't rest on your laurels....:potstir:

5. Iowa VFR

Iowa VFR New Member

That is crazy! Sux he has to deal with that but a cool little story while bringing the old girl back! Keep is posted!

6. Badbilly

United States
    I see you have a soul mate in tow.. Like they say, "that's one."

Suggestions are always welcome. Making fun of some dude that may very well speak as many as three languages, several dialects or who employ various regionalisms as we find in many places is more suited to you than me.

Living near the ocean nearly all my life, I do fish. I am waiting for the River Monster dude to hook on of those OZ "salties" someday that may be taking a dip in fresh water.. I expect also that he will be starting a new salt water series in the near future. I would love to see him boating a 50lb Humboldt Squid off the coast of Chile or in Baja waters. Or, landing one of those bigass halibut that come in at 400lbs..

I do agree on taking things to the next level and not resting on laurels too heavily.

For your next lessons, there are dozens of fish puns on Google that can be employed, The meaning of resting on one's laurels has several meanings which seem to have escaped your laser like POV and you might even like this aboot fish that I normally sell framed for a fin.

Sell a man a fish scaled, gutted, filleted and deep fried and you feed him for lunch, unless
    it’s a 600 lb tuna then it’s probably on it’s way to the Tokyo fish market.

Teach a man to fish and if he follows all the rules he will most likely have to toss it back or it will spoil because the dudes in the fish and game office are off on one of those four day weekends and he's is better off just buying some surimi or a can of tuna at Safeway.

7. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

My favorite fish pun is from proverbs :Fish.24.7. If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! :Fish.24.7.:eagerness:
    John

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Soooo back to rodents. ......

9. Badbilly

United States
    Little Beaver say, " Me gus-dusted!"