The bike the new VFR1200 should have been?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Echo3Niner, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

I don't know about handsome because that is subjective but in my opinion my Honda Crossrunner fullfills your other two criteria. In some ways I find it more fun than my VFR1200 DCT was

2. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

For me the looks are important. I would never spend money on ugly looking bike (GS, ouch). VFR looks beautiful (the back I would change a little, but...). It is just nice to own a good looking bike. Then when you drive the VFR it is just pure pleasure no matter if it is high speed driving or small country roads. And the exhaust note is nice (especially on non-flap after market exhaust).

But as this was the things I would change;
    - this has no meaning for me but I think it was a mistake for Honda to limit the top speed and the power on first two gears.
    - The rear shock is a dissapointment. If you don't have to adjust it it is ok but when you do... . The compression knob gets jammed and is too close to the frame. The rebound adjustment is useless.
    -The seat is sliding forward. Looks good but not ok for long rides.
    -The OEM bags are too small. Extra 3 litres per bag would change a lot.

But all those things can be changed by yourself so not any major problems. Except the first point where (I think) it is just a lot of unnecessary talk which have no meaning in real life.

3. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

As I said looks are a very subjective thing as the saying goes " beauty is in the eye of the beholder". To me a bike is for riding not for looking at so as I used to say about my multistrada 1000 " The looks don't matter as I can't see it when I'm riding it" :).
    Maybe the above might have something to do with the fact that to me my bikes are more than a hobby or pastime as they are to many people but are my only means of personal transport. As an example I'm sure nobody would buy a Deauville for it's looks or for fun however I find mine to be an ideal tool for eveyday use all year round which is why I'm on my 3rd. This one already has over 33500 miles on the clock

4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
  6. cayman

cayman New Member

by "closer", I intended to imply power, weight, handling, etc. everyone here already knows that the VFR must by definition always be a V-FouR, right?

7. cayman

cayman New Member

you're kidding, right?

I like progress, and in a motorcycle this means lower weight and better performance with each generation. Honda didn't deliver this in the last 2 generations of VFRs or with the Crossrunner, which is tragic. so sad to see Honda chasing after porky Harley and BMW super-size-me machines instead of setting new standards themselves.

8. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

Not really as it's versatile a V4 and a middle weight

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    LOL! Some dudes go all pissy if Honda or the other manufacturers don't build exactly the bike they are having wet dream fantasys about. A 1200 and 30-40 K will get darn near what anyone would want.

10. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

The VFR has always been a product that had more refinement in it. Even at 5th gen bikes which so many love was not about power it was about tech it had fuel injection. Remember there Sport not Supersports. So they would not always chase the lighter aspect.

Better performance remember sometimes performance is about Power to weight Ratio and this the 1200 kinda kills pretty much everything in the VFR line if I really took my time to look.This was already brought up in this thread.

It kills the 5th and 6th gen by about 1.0lb/HP Simple numbers 600Lb/140HP=4.3 520/100=5.2 (wet weigths) (Both 6th and 5th gen are close to this with pipe and power commander at wheel stock most measured a slight less about 98-95HP)

More sport per pound.

I had consider other bikes but its Still the new VFR and it is a VFR and its what A VFR should be.

11. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

I have to agree. I was really happy with my VFR1200DCT and as I have stated before the only reason that I changed it was that due to my old knee injury (and age if I'm hones) the weight and riding position became too much for me. My topple in the car park was the final straw.
    For most people the VFR1200 is an excellent bike

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    As I have said many times, I would LOVE to ride a 1200. The engine alone - without regard to the chassis and fit/finish - seems worth the price of admission.

Er, not that I would EVER under ANY circumstances purchase a bike NEW from a dealer! What a tragic waste of $$$!

13. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    It kills the 5th and 6th gen by about 1.0lb/HP Simple numbers 600Lb/140HP=4.3 520/100=5.2 (wet weigths) (Both 6th and 5th gen are close to this with pipe and power commander at wheel stock most measured a slight less about 98-95HP)

And so it should, it has an extra half a VFR800 engine.

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Right. My 6th Gen makes about 101 HP - but I have shed a bunch of weight from stock (though not the centerstand!). Still, the thing that makes my bike fun is the suspension mods.

BUT a bunch more HP wouldn't hurt, if you know what I'm saying . . .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

If none of ever bought new bikes from a dealer there would be no used bikes for others to buy and in fact quite soon there would be no dealers to buy from. also the manufactures would go under so no more advancement and even more importantly no more spares made

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Fine. Guys like you buy new bikes. I buy them used after guys like you eat the enormous depreciation loss. Everyone is happy.

17. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

You make it sound as though we are wrong to buy new bikes. I am nearly 65 and I have worked long hours and shift work since the age of 15 and I I intend to work past my 65th birthday. i feel that this entitles me to spend my momey how I wish. I don't smoke or take drugs seldom drink so my money goes on my two big passions which are my bikes and following my football team. Remember those of us that buy new bikes can do so without those who buy used but you can't buy used if nobody buys new

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Kinda depends on the bike too and if ya keep em or not. Got a 78 SR that was $1425.00 OTD . Been offered 3k for it. My 91 VFR was new and I see no good reason it will not see over 100k miles easy. I do change my skivvies and sox every day though.

19. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Rocker, I probably owe you an explanation. I look for used bikes because I can get them cheap. I don't even care if the plastics are rashed, because that means even more off the purchase price.

So, once I have the bike at a low price, I can put my money into aftermarket bits - PowerCommander and Dynotune, suspension, brakes, wheels (!), etc. - that matter to me WITHOUT ending up with a ginormous total investment.

As I said, everyone's happy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  20. qman

qman New Member

After having and loving a 98 then a 2000 VFR (yellow of course)...I was waiting with baited breath for the new gen in 2010.....And then to my disappointment that huge 1200 ST replacement comes out!
    I opted for a 09 R1200GS, and couldnt be much happier. Id like to see equal riders keep up with a new GS in the really tight twisty stuff! Plus a 800 mile day I would never consider on my old VFR...500 yes, 800 no. And I would pick the GS over my old FJR1300 for touring too...no question! If you havnt been on a 08+ GS, you SHOULD try it!....You'd be amazed...I was! AND ...its cheaper than the 1200VFR too!.... :) I wouldnt spring for the Adventure version though...unless you really want to do offroading!