The Kid has learned to LEAN

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by zoom-zoom, Sep 13, 2014.

1. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later, and TODAY WAS THE DAY.

My son Liam has enjoyed riding with me on the VFR for some time now (a couple years) and today he seemed to put 2 and 2 together. We have both enjoyed many a father//son ride together and though most of them have been under 100 km's at a time, today we did a bit farther at 150 km's. It was a later in the day ride, and we left home around 4 PM and returned just a short while ago. Since we don't have person to person communicators in the helmets we rely on hand signals and gestures to communicate basic things. Today during the ride after a fairly twisty stretch of road, my son Liam gave the 3 quick squeezes around the waist which indicates th the wants me to stop because he saw something he wants to tell me about. I pulled off to the side and he was just itching to get off the bike and giddy with excitement about something. He asked if we stop for a minute and take off our helmets so we talk about the stretch of road we had just ridden down. WHATEVER, I thought and removed his helmet. After removing my helmet, he reached up and wanted me to give him a hug and I knelt down and he gave me the biggest squeeze. He said to me, "Did ya notice daddy, did ya feel me on the back of the bike?? When you lean while we go round corners I leaned in with you and stuck my knee out a bit like the racers do. It felt so cool, it was soooo much fun." My response to him, "I most certainly did Liam, you were doing a great job." He was soooo proud of himself and had a HUGE grin from ear to ear. As we got our helmets back on Liam asked if we could turn around and go back the way we came so he could try the leaning thing again.

I knew new there were times when he was sitting up straighter on the back of the bike and times when he would hold tight and lean with me (like he had a choice when he was younger and had trouble getting his arms around my waist) but today was different. Since he is getting older and a bit bigger he has taken a bit more to sitting upright behind me and just holding on to my jacket with his hands when going straight and would hold on tighter when going through corners. But TODAY, he was initiating the lean and really moving with me when I leaned in to the corner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking knee dragging corners with the 7 year old hangin his butt off the seat and holding on for dear life. Nope, this was just a twisty section of road with a 70 km/h limit and a few good 40 and 50 km/h corners. I knew he was back there, and today just felt, WELL, different and smoother. All the corners felt smooth and I could just feel Liam on the back moving with the bike. It was sooooooo cool and we had a GREAT time.

We stopped at a restaurant in Kelowna named Milestones (similar food choices to The Keg) for some dinner and it was all he could do to contain his excitement. Every new person who came up to the table was greeted with the "My daddy and I just came back from a really fun ride on the motorcycle and I was leaning in to the corners. It was soooo much fun!!" When we got home, he was just as giggly. He ran up the stairs and told my wife how much fun he had and that he wanted to learn to ride a bike so that he could go riding with me. Maybe watching the Moto GP races and watching Mark Marquez has been more enticing to him than at first I thought.

Now all we have to do is remember to start bringing the camera and take some photos. The little guy has been a little less receptive in the last while to having his picture taken so no photos. Soon I hope we will be able to get a few more ride photos.

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Great stuff mate, I'll never forget the day I could no longer feel my wife in the back while on the twisty stuff.
    It took a while, but she finally got it and stopped being scared.
    We can now ride with the boys and keep up.
    I've got three girls, 16, 14 and 5; not much luck in getting them to enjoy it.
    The 14 comes now and then, hoping the 5 year old will join me when the time comes.
    It's a great bonding pass time.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    So cool. I can just see him in Milestones. He was excited when we met you guys there in the summer. AND HE ARRIVED THERE IN A VAN!

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    When I offered to send my boy cor lessons,(he was 17) his response was "I'm not ridinv that thing" Wice has said "Not gonna happen." Daughter road with md once. So guess my life on the bike will be forever solo. Don't know if I am sorrowful or greatful.

5. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm fairly certain that it will be awhile before Liam gives up riding with dear old dad. Until the day comes that is when he says, "Dad, can I get my own bike now?" I will continue to enjoy the one on one time as often as the days will allow. Mind you, once his sister is old enough and big enough to ride with me, then the fight may become WHO gets to ride with dear old dad. Chantal is already chomping at the it to get her turn on the back of the bike and at the rate she is growing I think her chance will arrive by the time the spring returns to the Okanagan Valley.

6. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    One thing I have never been afraid to do or worry about is riding with my wife. She and I have spent many, many hours on the bike together and she is a fantastic passenger. As a matter of fact she does more of the work than I do I think. Her ex boyfriend was an absolute speed junky and she learned very quickly how to move around when the going gets twisty. When my wife rides with me I almost feel, well, ..............USED, as about the only thing I need to do is operate the clutch, gas, and brakes. My wife does most of the leaning and I am just along for the ride,................. Oh and to operate the controls. She actually got tired of the crazy rides and insane speeds and got her own bike. After getting tired of always being the one left behind in the group and my remaining within her visual range she got to thinking that the one who was always looking out for her well being as a new rider (me by the way) she decided it was time to find a new boyfriend.

Its also nice to have a wife that isn't afraid or against the idea of letting the kids ride with us. Their grandma on the other hand, WELL, that is a different matter entirely. Grandma knows my son rides with me, she just doesn't want to know about it when it happens. LOL.

7. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for sharing a great story, Mr. Z. My brother & my sister probably wont let their kids (6 & 4) ride with their uncle...They dont approve me riding...

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I completely inderstand that. My two sisters give me shit when I share my ride stories.......and I am 59. My wife just does not listen any more.

You are a lucky man Billy. See you Tuesday. No truck this time.

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Great stuff Zoooom Zoooom
    Thanks for sharing :thumb:

10. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Tell your boy that everyone at VFRW is very proud of him! It takes courage to lean into those curves. He needs to start thinking about what his race number is going to be! Safe and smart on the street but smart and fast on the track! I say you mount a GoPro to his helmet. How great would it be to see the world from his perspective on the back of the bike and what great memories you'll be preserving. No doubt those would be videos he would treasure forever.

11. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Good thought. Might have to consider that. I had also thought about mounting one to the top of the top case and point it forward so that he could watch himself moving with the bike.

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Kid's got a great dad for sure !!