The PAIR mod and fueling

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Sirdoh, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Sirdoh

Sirdoh New Member

United Kingdom
    I spend a lot of time at low speed and I have read that the PAIR mod can fix the jerky throttle response, but makes the fueling "not perfect". In what way and how much? i.e. what is the down side?

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Just from what I know about PAIR systems... it's a passive system to let ambient filtered air into the exhaust ports, air is drawn in by negative pressure from the exhaust gasses leaving the exhaust system. ECU simply cycles the solenoid valve as it needs to, all it does is allow the air to help burn unburned gasses. No effect on fueling or throttle response, as it doesn't affect anything upstream of the exhaust ports. Some remove it simply to clean up the engine bay.

3. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    I did this to my 3rd gen. No effect on running but cleaned up engine bay. Removing the steel lines is the hard part. I capped the two ports on the air box and plugged the two vacuum lines. The front steel lines to the heads was easy to take off but you have to plug the holes in the head. I cut off the line at the ends and pressed a cut off plug from a drill bit in the hole and reinstalled the end of the lines to plug off the heads. The rear line is hard to remove so I left it in place and just plugged off the lines at the solenoid. The lines are not visible under the fairing. Less junk and a little weight off. Woo Hoo

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I've no personal experience with a 6th gen PAIR removal but I did it on my 5th gen, purely to reduce the engine bay clutter. The 5th gen does not use O2 sensors in the exhaust but the 6th gen does; I'm no expert but my understanding is that as the PAIR is introducing extra air into the exhaust, that can confound the O2 readings at the sensor under some conditions and mybe lead to that stumble.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Long gone are the days when you could just plug in a PCIII and some O2 sensor eliminators and throw all that shit in the trash.