The restoration has begun... Now the questions!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Salvo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Not that this helps with your current situation Salvo but a few posts in the thread mention other engine builders with V4 experience. For reference, does anyone have more intel on these shops?

2. Navman

Navman New Member

Map
    Good luck mate, it will be well worth the trouble in the end!!!! Really like your workshop....nice.

3. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Well, Everybody....

The results of my engine build with Dave Dodge are in... I'll see if i can post a link to the thread I just finished at another site... It has been nice to be here while I was and was really looking forward to finishing my project... I am too sick right this moment to speak here after what i just posted. Please look and maybe I can get back here in a day or two and say "GoodBye' properly...

OK, The link didn't work... I tried to copy it... The text copied but not the pics... I will try to get the pics over here or if you are a member at the "v4hondabbs" you will see my thread.... " Finally got my engine back from Dave Dodge"

Here goes.....

My last posting here at this site was on my thread "Re: Anybody that has an engine at Dave Dodge's... Please look!" it was #61 where I stated "I will wait until after the weekend of the 18th of March before making contact with them as that is the most recent date of completion given to me by DD last Friday. He has a week."

That was Sunday March 11, 2012. The following Friday I received a call from Dave Dodge stating that he had indeed finished my engine and it was ready to be picked up that weekend. I couldn't do that as I have been working weekends for months now. I scheduled the weekend of April 1 off and asked Dave if that would work for him. He responded that that would work and he looked forward to it.

The following is true there is no slander and deceit on my behalf...

I sent Dave a confirmation email this past Wendsday, March 28 at 4:43am, it follows:

Hi Dave,

Just touching base wanting to confirm our upcoming Saturday pick up? We will be getting into Bullhead Friday evening. What time would you like to meet Saturday? Anytime works for me. If need be we can do it Sunday as well...
    Please feel free to give me a call or email. Either way, I need to make this happen this weekend as my work schedule is still more than crazy and this is the only time I was able to schedule off...

Thanks!

Steve
    salvo66us@yahoo.com

This is the response that I received from Dave that same day at 5:51am, it follows:

Steve,

We are good for Saturday, about 10ish? Looking forward to it :)

Dave Dodge - DRP

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Mar 28, 2012 4:43 AM
    To: Dave Dodge , Dave Dodge
    Cc: salvo66us@yahoo.com
    Subject: Engine pick up...

Hi Dave,

Just touching base wanting to confirm our upcoming Saturday pick up? We will be getting into Bullhead Friday evening. What time would you like to meet Saturday? Anytime works for me. If need be we can do it Sunday as well...
    Please feel free to give me a call or email. Either way, I need to make this happen this weekend as my work schedule is still more than crazy and this is the only time I was able to schedule off...

Thanks!

Steve
    salvo66us@yahoo.com

Ok, I received a call from Dave Friday morning March 30, everything is a go for Saturdays pick up except that he has to get some orders out and instead of meeting at 10am he wants to do it about 1pm so he can get the orders out to the Post Office... I agreed and we head up to Bullhead from Phoenix, Az. I received a call from Dave Saturday morning, March 31 at 12:16pm stating that he is behind a little bit and still needs to get these orders to the Post office and meet with his accountant and won't be able to meet until about 5pm. I reluctantly agreed. At 4:42pm I received the call from Dave that he had found that he just wasn't happy with how the #2 cylinder bearing was feeling and that he had taken the case back apart and wanted me to see it in person as it would be better to explain the situation to me. I told him that we would be over in just a few minutes to pick up the engine and go from there.

As a witness to what we were going to see and retrieve I had a retired Sheriffs officer tag along, kind of a tool to keep heads level for the moment... I wasn't there to cause problems or curse anybody out... I just wanted my due... My COMPLETED engine that I had waited for for over 2 years.

Upon hearing the excuses as to why he couldn't meet me at the original time scheduled I knew that there was more to the story...

The following pictures were taken as soon as I unloaded the boxes from the vehicle this afternoon once we got back home in Phoenix... This is just an intial set of photos. It will take me days to lay everything out and retake pics that may be needed for whatever legal action comes next. I honestly don't know what to expect at this moment...

I would like to bring to light 2 postings from Dave Dodge in my previous thread, # 71, it reads as follows:

Re: Anybody that has an engine at Dave Dodge's... Please look!
    « Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
    I just read all of your posts with interest. I only want to say that in no way has anyone been screwed or ripped off, nor will they be. Assuming the worst tends to be the way of the board. I'll admit that engine building since the move has not been easy and taking far too much time. I dont want to comprimise the level of quality either. If anything can go wrong... it has. I do apologize to Aaron and Steve, and even John. Thank you for your patience and I assure you that getting these projects delivered is more important to me than is realized.

Regards

Dave Dodge - DRP

And also, #79 from Dave as well, it follows:

Re: Anybody that has an engine at Dave Dodge's... Please look!
    « Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
    I completely understand all the concerns. It's been busy enough to keep me chasing my tail, but the level of sales is not fully supporting expenses or even cost of parts. I've made numerous changes to correct this. Most engine deposits started off at 50% and became progressive as I purchased the parts and outside labor to complete them. It became obvious that buying discontinued parts at premium+ prices was costing me more than I had them sold for. Labor from the machine shops is costing me $75.00 hr, yet I was only charging $50.00 hr., plus big shipping costs. Added to that, all my suppliers had subtantial and frequent price increases due to their higher costs. Products from Japan (Honda) are seeing 5% increases every time I order due to dollar to yen conversion. The slow economy and higher energy prices contribute to this as well.

I refused to increase the prices on those firm quoted jobs, but in the future engine jobs will be termed as 'restorations' and billed time and materials. Needless to say, engine building volume will be reduced, but if there's no profit in doing them, maybe that's best. The whole engine building side of the business has been causing me big concern... mostly due to the length of time to complete. I have never been known as the speediest engine builder, but I dont have comebacks either... it's gotta be right, and that's how I think my reputation developed. When talking directly to my customers, I do my best to explain the circumstances and reasons for the delays...

With all that said... I am (and have been) in this for the long haul, and the bumps in the road are a huge learning curve, even at age 56 with 30 years experience working on V4's.

Looking forward to a better tomorrow,

Dave Dodge - DRP

The pics...

This is the COMPLETED engine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A pic of one of the pistons showing what looks like used rings on it, next to it is a ring from the bundle of "old" rings found laying in the boxes...
    [​IMG]

A pic of a scratch in what looks like the #1 piston crank journal bearing...
    [​IMG]

The box the bundle of rings were in...
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my $560.00 HardWelded Rocker Arms...
    [​IMG]
    And another...
    [​IMG]

My cylinder heads... They were supposed to have Stage 2 Porting, Smoothing the intake runners and a Competition Valve Job, The tune of $400.00...
    Doesn't look like any smoothing or valve job was ever done...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boxes of head and valve parts... I must add that Dave was witnessed as grabbing "Valves" out of a plastic bag that he picked up from underneath a bench and added these valves to my parts. You can notice that there are valves that have been ground and valves that have not... The ground valves were from the plastic bag... I don't know if they belong to someone else's "valve job" and he just grabbed them to add to the mix or ???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My carbs were to have been cleaned and rebuilt to Stage 2, at $325.00 labor and parts kit... Dave was witnessed as removing parts from a set of carbs other than mine and adding these to my parts. There again I don't know if these pieces belonged to someone else's carb set or ???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did realize that in the hulabaloo that he still has my airbox and rubber venturis.... Fat F'n chance of getting that stuff now!

The trans was to have been "undercut" at $375.00... it looks like it was glass beaded at best... I don't know what to look for in an under cutting job but I can't see any fresh machining marks, maybe one of you can help me to spot it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My cases were to have been powder coated... None of this has happened. It wasn't on the work order but he was paid $150.00-200.00 for that service. Supposedly he has a new work order that he is going to email me... He did however "paint" the oil pan and shift cover, and maybe the engine case...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't even get the one hole that I asked to have "helicoiled" taken care of...
    [​IMG]

The date on this gasket set should have been from way before 9/16/2011... Should have been back in 2010 when I was originally supposed to be picking up my engine in December 2010.
    [​IMG]

The gasket set and an, I think, oil pump...
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of random pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am speechless........... I do not even now where to start......... My restoration project is done.

I have paid this man $4500.00 overall and this is what the culmination of more than 2yrs waiting and more than numerous emails and phone calls have gotten me. All the way up 'til the very end has been nothing but an excuse and as far as I am concerned, lies!

I don't know what is going to happen but I will be getting in touch with the Arizona Attorney Generals office and see what is next. I am posting this because I HOPE that I can at least save someone the future hassles and trouble in which they may find by doing business with this man. I have certainly learned a very costly lesson here. I have somewhere around $7-8000.00 wrapped up in what was to be a "Better than New" restoration of my dream bike. This has all been crushed now.

I can't speak here how I really feel and what I would really like to do.... I am sickened!

Dave, I am certainly glad that you have clearly stated that " I only want to say that in no way has anyone been screwed or ripped off, nor will they be."

Steve

I am sorry guys, this thread was so fun for me and I was looking forward to sharing the bike with people at upcoming shows and generally just enjoying a preserved piece of motorcycling history...

I am sorry that I won't be able to continue with this project... I am not sure what is going to happen at this moment. I will get back on here soon and keep you informed. For the short time I had gotten to chat with you guys it was great and I miss the camaraderie that was being gained at the time...

It was great!

Steve

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    I do not see any photos.
    The story is important and a warning to others.
    What a horrible ordeal!!!

I ran into a similar situation one time.
    I received the product after months of phone calls and
    There never was an explanation.

I really HATE those kind of businessmen.

Law suits is all that will work with these people.

5. 85vf1000r

85vf1000r New Member

Wow....that is terrible Steve....so sorry to hear it coming to this end :( I truly hope you are able to find some resolve...and maybe...just maybe...even finish the bike at some point. If you do have time to fix the pictures I, for one, would certainly be interested in seeing them.

Again...my "condolences"

-Paul

6. hoganth

hoganth New Member

United States
    Map
    Salvo,
    How did you get those vin tag nails out without mucking them out. Getting ready to pull the vin plate on my old 83 VF750F

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice Shop! You got a tyre machine? What about a motorcycle lift? Looks like your doing a thorough yab ; )

8. Salvo

Salvo New Member

The "nails" come right out, at least mine did.... I just very carefully pried them up... Very carefully! They aren't very long, maybe 5/16"...

And no, I don't have a tire machine or a lift for bikes... I did however build a nice "Build" table on which I was going to work from.... I eventually wanted to get those items but this thread is a couple of years old now and just got re-freshed now that I just got my engine pieces back this past weekend....

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You can do ok building your own box as I have seen quite a few with-out bikes toppeling off em! far as a tyre machine, I use a local shops to mount and balance mine, but learned how to use tyre irons/spoons with rim protectors. Kinda a lost art, wouldnt want to do my vfr wheels unless, I had a gun to my head though. I could do it with-out gouging or dimpling em though, just lotsa sweat.

I used a rivet to secure tang on a door panel in my car after I used JB weld unsuccessfully, used a platic weld kit along with some fibre glass matt too. Drilled a hole along with that rivet...and presto!!! secure door plate...anywhoo...nice pictures, AZ is a neato place!

10. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Thanks Rider! Yeah, Az is definitely a different place!

Everyone,

Pics have been uploaded..... Up a couple of postings...

11. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Here is a link to the thread: Login (well, looks like you have to register to see the full thread)

Pretty amazing considering the "reputation" DD has in the V4 community. I'm completely surprised and sorry about the monetary losses.

I'd definitely pursue some legal options through your banks or state attorney general/local DA's offices. But in the mean time you've got some amazing offers from the V4bbs board for a free rebuild, take the offer and get this project on the road! Good luck and let us know how it works out!

(If you haven't posted to vfrd I think there might be a few people there interested in the details too.)

12. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks to me like there was absolutely no machining done nor new parts purchased for your engine project. Sounds like he was running his shop as a ponzi scheme. Taking your money and putting it into someone else's engine that was sitting there even longer. Or worse, someone else's business was just more important to him.

If it was me I would file in small claims court. The court will serve him at the time/place you tell them he is most likely to be found, sot it would be helpful if DD actually has a shop. Once served, he better appear in court or he faces summary judgement against him. If it is really a toss up it could go to trial. Just be professional, polite and have good, believable witnesses. DO NOT GET EMOTIONAL IN COURT!!!!!!!! The judge will really appreciate a calm, respectful demeanor and solid facts. If he gets server and decides to settle before having to go to court, get a cashier's check or cash FIRST. Once you have money in your hand, you can let the court know you have settled the matter. You should research what it takes to file in small claims court in your neck of the woods. Also, remember that you can't trust ANY of us Internet yahoo's. :crazy:
    We are not lawyers and this is not official legal advice.

Based on what you have told us, it sounds like ALL the facts are on your side and DD would be crazy to go to court. He will lose a day of work, have to pay court costs and STILL have to give you your money back.

Jose

13. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Thanks for the info Jose... I was on the phone today and will be tomorrow.

Cap'n, Can I ask what VFRD is? I'm sorry, but I don't think I am aware of it????

Thanks!
    Steve

14. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Hi everyone!

Been a long time since visiting here... Thought I would chime in, a lot has happened since my last visit here, both bad and good. well, things didn't pan out well on my Dave Dodge issue... Bottom line is my card company wouldn't help, I refuse to invest any more money hiring a lawyer to try and get money from a dry well, and the monetary amount was too much for small claims court... I'm screwed! I can only hope that people will read this thread and decide not to give him their business, maybe someone can be helped this way.

Fast forward some months... I saw an ad up on Craigslist for an Sabre 1100... There was a VF1000R in the background... I asked about it... Not for sale. A while after that I received an email from the person( Dan ) and he remembered this thread and wanted to give me first shot at it when he decided to sell... I jumped on it!

So, I finally ended up with a 1KR... 1986 with 13,000mi. Very clean overall... I am in the process of going over the bike with a fine tooth comb, I have been changing out various bits and pieces with new ones that I had originally ordered for the '85 that I was working on. Basically pulled the bodywork and am scrubbing all the nooks and crannies as I go... I am having the wrap around fascia that resides between the upper cowl and fuel tank covered in a carbon fiber hydra wrap, this should be finished next week, and going to send the bodywork sans the fuel tank sent out for new paint in the '86 color scheme... The fuel tank is being replaced by one that is in primo shape from the '85... I have rotors being machined to replace the ones on the bike now, you can see that a PO had started to drill them and never finished the job... I am going to replace the o-rings on the water pump body as there is a small oil leak there... I also plan on purchasing an oil mod kit from the V4 store...

That's about it for the moment... I know some of you have already seen this new bike over at v4hondabbs.com... But I wanted to make sure everyone here was updated as well.

I'll keep you posted with updates...

Cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Current state... getting it clean! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take Care!

15. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Can never see too many pics of a beautiful bike. Thanks for posting here.

16. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow Salvo! Just read through this thread, what an emotional roller coaster. Congrats on your "new" ride. I'd give up vital parts of my anatomy to get my 86 1000R back.
    VF1000RForSale01.jpg

17. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't say I was duped by the mythical Dave Dodge "I can fix all your V4 problems" experience, but I will say that his gear set refurbishing abilities were severely underwhelming to say the least.

Nice find on the '86, one of my all time favs for sure.

18. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Looks nice!

Out in the garage for a bit today... Over the past weekend I was able to get the Fox shock mounted. I found the rubber brackets that it was originally mounted on, so my intent as of now is to try and reuse them... I also got the upper triple clamp swapped out and new screws added... My rotors are finished and on their way back. I have new brake pads coming as well... The upper cowl fascia should be done later this week. I decided to drag out the '85 frame and put it to use as a "Taping Jig" for the bodywork once it goes to the paint shop. I will add some wood braces at the bottom of the frame so it can sit upright and will still be able to mount the bodywork on...

That's about it for now... Just lots of elbow grease and polishing going on...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Looking good. Keep up the momentum.

20. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Got the shock mostly finished, I still need to make final mount connections for the braided steel line... I found an old pic of the '85 right after I brought it home, you can see where the shock was mounted before... I think I got it close...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rotors came back and look awesome, Great Job Tom at TrueDisk LLC!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the "jig" for the tape mockup stand when I take the panels in for refinishing...

[​IMG]

I got my housing seals for the water pump, as I am having oil drips from the hole in the housing, it was mentioned that it was probably the housing o-ring so I was going to change it... That's not the issue, there is no way that o-ring could be responsible for the oil drips, it has to be from the bearing/seal etc... Anyways, I would like to ask if any of you can recommend a source for replacement or rebuild kits or ??? I really don't like the idea of trying to rely on a used one... I would appreciate any help or info in a direction! There is a fella on another site that will rebuild it for $250.00 but I thought I would see about a new replacement first.

Update: Just finished cruising the net... Doesn't look like I have much choice out there... I found this on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-V65-M...0297&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts? Looks like my only other alternative is to have mine sent out to Lews...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also found this bolt on the pump, lower left bolt... I'd rather find out about it now instead of later...

[​IMG]

Thanks again for any info on a pump...!

;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012