they told me it would happen and now i believe

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by 2000ex, May 1, 2007.

1. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    I used to ride in a T-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. Hoad a Triumph Bonneville. Guess I thought I was Steve McQueen. I had a crash, though, and have been wearing gear ever sonce. Guess now I think I am Rossi!

2. chesthing

chesthing New Member

7 crashes is really pushing your luck. If I believed I was going to crash someday in the future, my bikes would be for sale. Like is way too short as is and there are too many other sports/interests/hobbies to get into.

3. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Well in his defense, I've been down 6 times. 4 on the track. I also know I'll be down again simply because I'm going to keep riding. The statement you made is relevant to a persons risk vs reward ratio. I still get a huge reward out of riding after a lot of miles and several bumps, breaks and bruises. The day I fear the pain more than I enjoy the ride, I'm done also.

I've explained this to several people, all people who do not ride. The response from them is alway "I don't get it". My only response for them is that I hope one day they will love something as much as I love riding (kids and family don't count in this equation). :smile:

4. chesthing

chesthing New Member

I'm taking the same risk and havent gone down since 1984 (except for my drunken incident back in 1986), and I truly believe I will not ever crash - if I believed otherwise I wouldnt ride. I guess I have to join those who say "I don't get it." Best of luck to both of you, I hope you don't ever get seriously hurt.

5. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Are you telling me you have been going to the track since 1984 and haven't crashed? You said "taking the same risks" so I'm assuming so based on your response. If so, you must really be dogging it :smile: If you don't go to the track or haven't, you automatically have a different set of riding habits and preferences which is 100% fine but nowhere near the same risk. Everyone is different in what they view as a "fun" and "safe" riding experience. I could have kept riding my first bike, a cruiser, forever without an issue but I wouldn't have learned what I learned by taking the chances at the track. So I guess each of us won't get the other in some way shape or form huh? Interesting...

6. chesthing

chesthing New Member

No, I don't ride on the track - I agree going to the track is a different thing with different risks. I'm challenging the title of this thread and was responding to Speed, you've turned my challenge and response into something else.
    Btw, my uncle in law is 77, he stopped riding a couple years ago after having bikes over 40 years and never so much as tipped a bike over from a stand still. I'm sure there are many many riders who never go down.

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    No malace intended chesthing, my fault. I was looking the most recent posts and thought your statement "Best of luck to both of you, I hope you don't ever get seriously hurt" was directed at me and other poster. No problem either way. I ride with a few guys are in their late 50's. I myself am 32. I have nothing but respect for those who don't give in to age, pressure or have physical ailments that wouldn't allow them to ride anymore. Cheers to you! I hope to be the same way.

8. chesthing

chesthing New Member

I'm 41 and ride with 4 guys on Sunday mornings, 3 of which are in their mid 60's - they still ride faster on their FJR1300's than most 20 year olds on their race replicas, that i've ridden with anyway.
    I would like to try a track someday, but I'm worried it would be habit forming!

9. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    I'm also in the group that believe that I will not crash. I'm not saying that it can't happen but I don't believe that it will be anything that I as a rider will cause. There are so many variables out there while you are on a bike that it is almost inevitable but I ride as prepared as possible just in case. I think that if you think you will crash you probably will. Mind over matter. I try to think the opposite. I just prepare myself for anything. Granted if you do alot of track days or ride to your limits more than the average rider your % of a crash goes up.

10. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    That it is! The previously mentioned fellas' in their late 50's started riding on the track around the same time I did. One thing though, you'll learn more about the intended function of a sport motorcycle in two, twenty-minute sessions on the track that you will in countless miles on the street. It gives you the opportunity for repetition that you can't experience on the street. As a result, situations you encounter on the street are handled with more confidence because you know without a doubt that the bike will turn and stop at extreme angles and speeds. On the negative side, since you know you can handle it, you'll also tend to put yourself in those situations. Double-edged sword! The key is knowing when and where to use your added skills on the street.

It's not for everyone, but it's definitely an eye opener.

11. dcengineer

dcengineer New Member

Wow, man. This thread really opened my eyes. I'm 21 and just started riding. I have the helmet, jacket, and gloves; but considered pants and boots an added luxury. I generally wear jeans and cheap work boots; but after reading this thread and some of the links; I really need to look into better quality gear.

I don't exactly have a ton of cash to work with right now; but I'd rather be in a little bit of debt than have my skin ripped off and be in for a lifetime of pain.

...Great forum

12. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Like somebody already stated, wear what you want to crash in. Not just a FULL face helmet, a protective (preferably leather everthing) padded jacket, pants, boots (or at least a good pair of sturdy workboots that lace up so they will not fly off) gloves, and eye protection. It leather is just to hot for you, pick up a good textile jacket, by Alpinestars, Aerostitch, etc.

13. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Think of when you hit the ground/road and are dragging your body parts, things want to pull off you (aka sneakers, unbuckled helmets, sweatshirts) and then it is skin on pavement....OUCH!

14. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Glad you're alive to learn the lesson. Helmets are way cool!!! Mine is so cool it cost me $700.00 (SHOEI X-11 Kagayama in Red) which I think is money well spent. you know the old saying "you got a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet"
    And by all means considering your experience level you should take MSF basic course. just curious, why are you riding a bike without a driver's license without a motorcycle endorsement? It is illegal where i live. Think! Man. you've only got one head, Use It! Glad you are OK.

15. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map

Can young squids learn new tricks :( I always want to hit kids upside the head hen they don't wear good gear. It is even worse when they don't make their passenger wear their gear. Anyway YES YES YES it is col to wear a helmet. AND NOT a skull cap

16. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    My dad and I went for a ride to celebrate my bonus at work (a brand new RWB '07 Ceptor). On the way home he wrecked my '03 Shadow ACE. I let him ride it because I thought the ACE was the easiest bike in the world to ride. It is low, light, good power, but not too much for someone who hadn't ridden in 15 years, and excellent brakes. He didn't realize how good disc brakes are. His last bike, a '73 Guzzi, had piss poor brakes. He came upon a stopped car in a curve, grabbed a handfull of front brake, went down, crossed the center line, and hit an oncoming car, which was totaled. He suffered a broken leg, but if he hadn't been wearing decent gear, he'd be toast. His helmet took a heck of a blow on the bumper of the oncoming car. It saved his life for sure! I've spent the last 3 months rebuilding the bike.

17. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Speachless...

18. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Just remember that in the ER people who don't wear helmets are called ORGAN DONORS.

19. Adam Woods

Adam Woods New Member

I do not know what it is like in the US, but certainly over here there is loads of perfectly good used gear on Ebay (don't buy used helmets!!). I got some really cool gear, hundreds of pounds worth for about £200 all in - that is winter as well as summer mesh jacket and 2 one piece suits.... you have got to be a bit patient...but it is there

Good luck - and get the right gear, oldies like me hurt and break easy, we know that and tend not to risk too much. You twenty somethings sometimes know no fear..... until its too late

Serrmon over - enjoy the bike

20. dale-j

dale-j New Member

Years riding: 26
    potentially serious crashes (not counting off road dirt bike stuff as a kid): 3
    helmets trashed: 3
    leathers trashed: 1 full set, including armored boots and gloves.

serious injuries: one mild concussion, without the helmet it would have been a lethal head injury. NOT A SCRATCH on me thanks to good gear choices and wearing it when I didn't think I would need it. The CBR954, however, was a complete write-off.

Before we get too hard on 200ex, it's good that he survived this one. You have to survive being young and stupid to get to be old and wise.

What many of us more experienced riders forget is our own indiscretions years ago.

Hopefully he has helped some other young (or just new) riders make it to being old and wise, by being open and honest with his story so others can learn from his mistakes.