Thinking of selling...

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by brian_06328, Apr 14, 2020.

1. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all, I've not been on in a long time, I see some good changes to this site. I bought my 96 20 years ago last month but haven't ridden it in a few years now, smashed my knee up and couldn't for a while (long story there). I had an issue a few years ago with a fuel leak and replaced the O rings in the fuel lines at the carbs but got something together wrong so the throttle doesn't snap back on it's own any more. I started it up today for the first time since I was working on it, had to jump it but she ran and sounded good. I'm thinking I should sell it but it's been around so long I don't know. It'll need a new battery, which I'll see if I can pick up here in the next few days. There are only 25k miles on it so I obviously didn't ride it too much anyway. What's the market like these days for an old VFR?

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Hi Brian.

I bought a '98 with 36k miles in the fall three and a half years ago.
    It was in very good shape but needed chain and sprockets, tires, brake and clutch fluid all replaced soon.
    In other words it was due or overdue for many normal mantenance items to be paid attention to.
    It had been used lightly but at a consistant rate. No rust in the tank.

Because it was late fall and storing the bike away for winter can be a pain, I was able to offer considerably less than the PO was asking.
    The asking price was $2400, I paid $1800.
    That was my budget limit, and I told the PO that. I was nice about making my offer and gave him every option to decline.
    He shared with me that most of the people interested in the Craigslist ad were not familiar with a VFR. They were asking if it was a CBR. I think that I was the first and only person to contact him who wanted to buy a VFR.
    Demand for VFR's in the US have been such that Hondas last model year here in the states was 2014.
    Some of the members here have within recent months purchased 2014 VFR 800's new for around $6,500 give or take.

As always when selling anything, the price is largely dependent on what the buyer is willing to pay. So you may need to be willing to wait for that one interested party who knows what a great Moto a VFR is.

RedMenace likes this.
  3. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Broken heart, here.
    Fourth Gen is the best. Shocked at prices. Rllw Joe speaks wisdom. Put it up and wait.
    I'm trying to sell an Acura RL. Nobody wants to give me what it is worth. nCo19?
    I'm trying to be cool, but at the end of 3 months it is just money and money buys groceries.

4. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Related story?
    I sold a 2002 Honda Civic Si and thought, "when I get back to U.S. I can buy another one!"
    I look and look.
    They are gone. Nobody has a good example.
    What is it worth?

5. complex.technician

complex.technician New Member

United States
    Hey Brian,

Sorry to hear that you’re thinking of selling… sometimes that’s how it is, though.
    We have all been there, buddy.

If you gave us some more info, we could give you better feedback.
    Maybe…

How many owners?

Any maintenance history?

Any accidents? Any driveway/garage tip-overs? Any scratches or cracks? Pictures to show these issues?

Anything “aftermarket” or non-original?

Any major maintenance performed – valve check, recent carb rebuild, etc.?

Pictures will help VOLUMES!

Things of that nature will help us give you better guidance on price, maybe even on HOW to help market your bike if/when you sell it.
    I am not in the market to buy another VFR at this time (sadly), so I think I can give you experienced and honest feedback on you motorcycle.
    About two weeks ago, I sold my extra 2000 VFR800FI – so I understand how to sell in the current C19 environment.
    Don’t worry – I still have my main VFR!! No way I would sell THAT!! My trusty steed...