This is scary. Trooper rams into motorcycle couple...

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by surfandski, Sep 12, 2013.

1. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OMG !! I got stopped on my Hawk and questioned by a Buffalo cop yesterday. The "offense" was riding with my eye shield open, and when i objected and said i was wearing glasses, he insisted that ordinary eyeglasses were not approved by the DOT !@!!! Next he complained that my license plate was at an angle. Most cops are at least OK; but the profession, with all it's union rules, doesn't do enough to remove bad cops.

2. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Here it is! I'll say it! I never got a ticket I didn't deserve!

And Yes I had quite a few good cops give me a break when I didn't deserve one!

Let's just say in this department I am way ahead of the game!

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
  4. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I'd sit and explain to you why these things happened but you would never understand it. Must be a slow day in Chillwackoff. Don't you have a donut you need to eat Randy?

5. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am going to court for the same thing (visor up) in NY in a few months. When I am found not guilty I should spit in the cops face after for being a retard.

6. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Dude - Don't be a Troll. :troll: :asshat: :flamer:

Those two statements above are condescending, ignorant, humorless, and tasteless.
    Never make an assumption that you are smarter than someone based solely on their occupation. I know of a state supreme court justice who worked as an enlisted mechanic in the Air National Guard. I have met some extremely well educated and intelligent folks in the Law Enforcement community. I met a guy happily working as a park ranger with a PhD in Chemistry (He was tired of working in a lab).

Randy is a Stand up guy, and seems like he was a really good cop. :thumbsup: I have had my share of good experiences and bad ones with the LE community. Your attitude can frequently determine the events related to any encounter with anyone in Law Enforcement. The hard part for even the good ones is that they frequently deal with the worst parts of society, and pretty soon, like a carpenter - everything starts looking like a nail which needs to be hammered :smash: :hitit:. If you act like an ass :argue:, it is way more likely to elicit a similar response from the officer. Nobody is perfect, and in instances like squirrelman and you had, they were following what appears to be their opinion and not the law - a common mistake for many in positions of authority. :der:
    A truly smart individual finds a way to keep cool and deescalate the situation asap - lots of times that can save you headaches and tickets.

With regard to the OSP hitting the riders - he made a huge mistake which easily could have resulted in two deaths - he compounded it by not appropriately assisting the rider and pillion. In Ohio, anyone else would be charged with failure to maintain an assured clear distance. As a State Patrolman, he needs to meet a higher standard than the general public. He should be punished, fined, and sent back to OSP driver's school for remedial training. He also needs a procedural refresh on what to do when involved in an accident. He mad a whole series of bad decisions both before and after the accident :decision:. State of Ohio is going to owe the rider and pillion a bunch of money for his negligent driving - there needs to be consequences for actions like that - especially when they lead to serious injury or death. Whether or not he is competent enough to keep his job as a state trooper is something that the OSP will have to determine with an appropriate, unbiased investigation.

:pop2:

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i find the content of dino's posts and his proclaimed profession deliciously ironic.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Where is Joey Dude when we needed him :rolleyes:

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i finally watched the video and i agree with whover said what the hell was that rider doing that he didnt see that cruiser. do t get me wrong obviously the cop was not paying attention and from what i saw he appears at fault, but damn. situational awareness is a necessity(sp?) if a rider wants to stay alive.

10. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed reg, but your average cruiser rider (actually most average riders) haven't taken an MSF (or any other) class, and their riding gear is more about appearances than function. The rider's lack of S.A. while riding on that stretch of US 35 in light traffic at night at almost 10 pm - just after dark, while not smart, is understandable.

I grew up not far from that area, and know it well. A friend had a lake house just south of that section of highway - I used to ride my bicycle for a short section on old US 35. Even during the day that section of limited access highway between Jamestown and Xenia is in a rural area and would normally be considered a light traffic route. I could see getting somewhat complacent given the circumstances. On a Saturday night, it's very, very lightly traveled. I'm pretty sure I would not be that unconcerned on my bike, but driving my truck or one of the other cages? I just don't know. Maybe the rider just expected the car to switch lanes, he's just tooling down the road in the right lane - doing around the speed limit (60 to 65) - minding his own business - who would think the idiot cager would not change lanes and pass. I'm also guessing that the OSP was 70-75, so he was probably 5-10 over the limit - dash cam doesn't have his speed noted. If the bike had rolled on the throttle hard, I bet he would have gotten a ticket. The OSP isn't know for their flexibility - even with other LEOs.

In your area, I would bet that it's rare occasion for you to see a 4 lane highway that lightly traveled at 10 pm.

11. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map

Ditto........

12. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I know that in Virginia, you must be wearing some sort of APPROVED eye protection and regular glasses do not meet that criteria...it is stated clearly in the Motorcycle Operators handbook. NJ probably has a similar law.