Thurn Motorsport, Germany

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by noel2913, Mar 27, 2007.

1. KnuckleDragger79

KnuckleDragger79 New Member

Yeah....it is good looking, but I think I would rather have the fairing all together...IF I do put it back together, would rather have a sport/tour look...maybe get some hard bags & top case for it....but, first things first...body repair is in desperate need...

Thanks for your suggestion tho...

2. dale-j

dale-j New Member

That lower fairing went back together with some crazy glue, baling wire, and kitty hair bondo. It's not as hard as it looks if you come from the bodge-a-rama school of git'r done....

3. Rev

Rev New Member

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

I am sure that you had to do this to cover up unsightliness, but if that lower chin piece was "trimmed" I would love it.

Are you "bike-less" now Dale? Seems like you are selling all of your babies. You gettin' something new?

5. monsterkami

monsterkami New Member

Map
    I used to do business with Thurn and the quality of their products were good until recently. It seems the downturn in the economy has brought out the worst in their management. I spent close to $2000 buying carbon fiber parts and other accessories from them in a 6 months period but the last piece of my paid order kept getting delayed. Finally, after close to 3 months of waiting and many email inquiries and complaints, I received an empty box. I have been emailing them for 6 months to own up and send me the part (about $100 worth) and I either get ignored or run around to deal with the German Post. This company has absolutely no understanding of customer service and will not stand behind their products once you have paid for them. I will never do business with them again and warn others to be careful if you choose to do so.

6. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

...at one time several years back i considered getting their RC30 bodywork kit for my 1990 viffer...however, after researching the kit, the comments on the bulky look of the tail, and gerhard's attitude (kinda abrupt, not very nice, maybe he doesn't like americans)...i decided to not get the kit...but through the groovy guys, and gals here, i found that Empire GP (www.empireGP)in New York can do ANYTHING...consequently, i'm in process of changing the headlight from stock to an endurance style headlamp...single round PIAA offset...check out some of the repair work they've done...from itty bitty pieces back to stock...

7. monsterkami

monsterkami New Member

Map
    Like you said, Gerhard was hard to deal with and now is impossible to do business with. Anyone doing business with him needs to accept the fact that they are at his mercy. That means his schedule and terms and conditions all the way. I just can not believe he sent me an empty box (it may have been broken into by the shipper which was German Post and DHL) and then even when I prove it he would not stand behind it. Customer service is a term completely unknown to this merchant. Almost as bad as eMoto was before going out of business once and for all.

8. noel2913

noel2913 New Member

9. dale-j

dale-j New Member

Yes, I did it to cover the radiator hoses etc (didn't do as well as I hoped at this though) but part of the reason I left it taller was to connect to the mounting points that were already there, as well as to line up with the lines of the rear 'subframe' castings. I would have preferred it trimmed to the lower body line but this did not leave enough to give it structure or mount it properly.... and it didn't cover much that way.

One of the big things when you try to 'fighter a complex bike like a VFR is realizing how much attention needs to be paid to cleaning up hose, electrical wire and cable routing. Even after extending the harness to hide all the relays and fuses under the seat and tucking it in to the back of the frame, there was still a lot more 'underbelly' exposed than I wanted.

No, not bikeless although I'm currently down to one (pic attached)... I'm hoping for a miracle with the new VFR (no, let's not start another thread on *that*) and toying with getting a lightly used R1200S if the VFR disappoints... we'll see....

Attached Files:

10. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I have gotten a few small bits from Thurn great sevice 3-4 days to get package.

11. Vfroem

Vfroem New Member

Map