Timing Gear Backlash (idle ticking noise VFR750 RC36)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rugsta, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rugsta

rugsta New Member

Hi,

I have a late 96 RC36 which has developed a healthy tick at idle. Its not consistent enough to be valves and I've had them don at a service 10000kms ago.

At this time I noted the noise with the mechanic and was told that this was "back lash in the timing gears". However having googled around I also read this post <http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/18908-97-vfr-clicking-sound-when-taking-off.html> which talks of camshaft end float and offers a 'solution' which seems rather more like a recall to me.

Can anyone shed some definitive light on this subject? I want to sell the bike but with the racket its making I'm going to have to drop the price a lot in order to shift it.

Many thanks

Rugsta

2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    It might be this problem. Just something to check in to.

[​IMG]

3. rugsta

rugsta New Member

Yep this is the post I was referring to. However striping down the top end to drill holes in the cam caps, while fun, isn't really what i want to do on some heresy and conjecture. If indeed this does solve the problem then someone out there must have done this and can confirm the problem and resolution. Has anyone fixed the mysterious VFR rattley tick? Mine is worse when warm.... anyone?

4. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    I searched Honda's IN network for bulletins regarding the 96 VFR750 and nothing similar was listed...If there was an actual bulletin it should have been there. Of course that is for the US model only.

Sometimes Honda has information on 'known issues' that is made known to tech line, but doesn't meet the criteria for publishing for what ever that reason may be. If a dealer calls tech services, the phone tech person THEN deals with that information for the individual case. In other words, they'll FAX you something that looks like the paper Greyghost posted. It sure looks legit to me.

This procedure 'rings a bell' from somewhere in my distant past but I'm not remembering. I've never personally done it but seems like I've read about it before.

5. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    Did a little research on this at work today...here's why it sounded familiar...

Service Bulletin #1 pertaining to '94' VF700C (Magna) outlines the exact same procedure to repair top end noise on that model. The cause of noise is 'side thrust' movement of the camshaft. The extra oil supplied to the outer cam bearing is supposed to 'dampen' excessive sound.

It goes on to say the problem can be verified by starting the bike and leaning from side to side while listening for changes in said noise.

I also talked to tech services and there was no information on this pertaining to later VFR models. Of course this is US...and Honda Europe could be different. That's what I know.