tis the season for browsing. Whats your dream second bike?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Dennis The Menace, Mar 10, 2016.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Don't tease me like that..........

2. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, and I forgot the Motus. Though that's what I would get if I had plenty of money but could only house one bike.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well there's two parts to this, a Dream bike you ride, and a dream bike that you and stare at it in lust knowing you have it is 90% of the game . in that I'll stare at a NR750.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I used to work on those things. The Commando I loved and the Atlas I hated. Maybe it was because the Norton Atlas bikes I saw were the worst, having passed through many savage and unsympathetic hands, but I could never love that paint shaker full of problems. As a Commando owner I hear ya about the seat. They were a bike for their day. They tried to fix the seat issue but for me the stock item combined with the stock wide flat bars caused me to stare down at the front fender rather than look at the road. I have a nice running, sorted, 1973 750 Commando I wound sell if anyone whats to be a Commando owner. I will tell you this, they are really fun bikes, great for sunny days and back roads. They are fantastic if you like people and love to talk bikes. Every time you take it out you will meet new people. Do not try to tour on it. It will beat your butt flat and it will lose stuff (think old Sportster just not of rough.)

I currently have a garage full of wonderful bike that I just hate to part with. I want someone to take the Commando away from me so I can move on. Does anyone else feel this way? If I sell it I will regret it and if I sell it I won't have a Commando? (Who will I be without my Norton?) It was my first bike back after a 20 year dearth. It used to be my main ride but since the purchase of the VFR it doesn't get much love. I know I have to move something to make room for something else.

I build the 2005 Honda VTR Superhawk as a fun project but now I am reluctant to sell it too. It is just so damn much fun to ride. I hate to say it but it is more fun than my VFR. The biggest draw backs, to the VTR being my main bike, are that it has a peanut tank and gets 24mph with it current jetting (and rider input) and it's race crouch it kind of uncomfortable. I cannot stress enough how much fun this bike it. It is also a ticket generator.

These are the bikes that I have a serious lust for: Moto Guzzi Griso (2006 2 valve model), Africa Twin DCT (but I don't know if my back would take the upright dirt bike style riding position.), VFR1200. I could make anyone of them a reality if I sold something but I haven't been able to do that yet.

shop.jpg

By the way, I am a multiple bike owning pantload but only because, usually, when I get them they come in a box (and several Styrofoam ice crests) and I can't let them go after they are done. It is a sickness.

5. blackboyd

blackboyd New Member

myf6b.jpg
    I already have two but put me down for the duke if I could have 3....this is my second bike

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    I have to admit that I was young and didn't really know any real enthusiasts, the Atlas was in rough shape when I got it, but remember someone said get a "Snortin Norton", I had fun with it but didn't really appreciate the Commando at the time.

7. VifferVet

VifferVet New Member

United States
    Map
    I would like to add a Bimota TESI 1D to the list

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    uploadfromtaptalk1457800056746.jpg
    My old Ducc

9. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I want to add a KTM 690 Duke to my list. I have never ridden one but they look like a hoot to ride.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Just one?

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOl they are a buzzzy little thing, fun but buzzy busy, I'd ride your Norton before a KTM, now the twin version of the Duke is a riot. I can see you all ready on that one.

12. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    2015 Yamaha super Tenere. I just think next to the VFR it's the most awesome looking bike out there. Would love to just cruise around north and South America. Not crazy back roads just the easy dirt and pavement. I'd be gone for years.

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Like I said, "I never rode one" but I did see one in the parking lot of the KTM dealer and just lost my heart to the look. I can't help but think that a massive single would be, yes, buzzy, but fun none the less. I already have the 1000cc VTR twin and that IS massive fun.

Part of a lot of this is a question of usage. I have been asking myself "what do I need or want a bike to do? Am I going to take more long trips? Then the VFR is my bike. Or I wants an ST1300, or a VFR1200 (w bags.) Am I going to do more short rides? Then the VTR or a Griso fits." My problem is I can't decide so I just keep riding what I have.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ and in that it works, lucky you having two bikes. but nothing wrong with lusting huh. :)

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have been lusting after bikes my whole life. I want to ride them all. I picked up a 1972 Suzuki TS125 (why I don't know.) It is a tatty barn find. It is complete but dirty, sad and has a hole in the piston. I am getting it sorted out slowly but I do know that I would have killed for a bike like it when I was a kid.

IMG_20160218_174305675_HDR.jpg

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sweet! a two smoker going to be brought back from the dead.

17. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I wish it was a 250 but I will take what I can get. Take a look at the grips. The thing was stored in a shed and so stayed dry but it must have got HOT in there!

IMG_20160222_220803612.jpg IMG_20160222_220817181.jpg

By the way, it has all the street legal equipment except for the horn.

18. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

19. vfrpilot321

vfrpilot321 New Member

NR 750
    HRD Vincent Black Shadow
    Any 500 two stroke that Eddie Lawson piloted
    ...AND the Suzuki NUDA concept bike from good ole 1986

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  20. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd like my brand new $1465 out the door 1970 Triumph Bonneville, or maybe my '82 Eddie Lawson Replica....