Too hot into a curve...what to do?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Miketegra, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Camarkim

Camarkim New Member

United States
    The one time I came in too hot was at Willow Springs Raceway, while racing my Vespa. I tried all of the above, leaned it over until it was so far over that I was scraping the pipe and catapulting into the hay. That didn't hurt, but the bike flying through the air and landing on my leg did. Even so, it was interesting to be in one of those "lean 'til there's no more lean left" scenarios. I'm glad it was on the track, where mostly it was just embarrassing, not life-threatening.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that is too cool. I hope to rent vespas when I go to hawaii next month or somthing like it. i didn't even realize you could get one in a corner too hot. I love it! Maybe I should take full gear to wear when I get ready to rent it. (of course they might tell me no if I was decked out in leathers...)

3. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Thank you again for everyone's input.
    Obviously, the best way to deal with the issue is to avoid it altogether by taking curves and turns at speeds well below both the bike and rider's limits.
    I was rather shocked at the variety of answers provided on the "other" forum...obviously there is more than one way to handle the situation, but it illustrates just how many riders out there really don't know what they are doing.
    I enrolled in the MSF Basic Rider Course today in an effort to brush up on my own skills and to help a good friend learn how to ride.

Be safe people !

Mike

4. Camarkim

Camarkim New Member

United States
    Not to get too far off-topic...but, well, you can make anything go fast, I suppose. But remember..this was a 200cc 2-stroke, with 4 speed trans. Stock, they were pretty fast. With expansion chamber, aftermarket head, big-bore kit, and different jets/gears, they could actually be kinda scary-fast. (Especially with 10" wheels/tires, stock/soft suspension, monocoque frame and the fact that they were never designed to be raced.)

Now, the new Vespas? I don't know that I'd care to ride one, to be honest.

http://scooterracing.info/home/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

5. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

When riding the dragon I went into a couple corners too hot and had to brake hard when leaned over , the bike didnt stand up but the rear tire lifted off the pavement for a split second...Scary but what a rush ..Oh Yeah, read the book " A twist of the wrist" and you will find lots of helpful hints ...