Torn between VFR800 (5th gen) and Ninja 650R

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wildwhl, Apr 27, 2010.

1. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    This is too easy. V4 versus Twin?......V4 hands down. It's much better if you want to go
    sport-touring and have a passenger. You can lower the bike a little bit and also get
    a cut-down seat from Sargent or Corbin.
    It may seem a little big at first but you will get use to it quickly and wonder why you
    even thought it was too big or heavy. It isn't!
    5th generation? . . . of course! Go for it!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I'm 5'5" and a foot long.......................
    I own many bike from Ninja, CBR to ducati and honestly my VFR is the best all around. You can get a 6th Gen for about 4K

3. spdrcr

spdrcr New Member

The seat of the 650R is terrible at best. Get the VFR!

4. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

El Crappo - looks like I missed the boat on the local '99 for $3K...patience is a virtue!

WW

5. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    There will be more. Just be patient! =D

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I can completely agree with everyone else's posts, the VFR hands down. However, if you're in a hurry and budget is on your mind, I happen to currently be in possession of an 07' 650R that belongs to a friend of mine, and is for sale. Besides, there's nothing wrong with having multiple bikes, got one to ride and get around on while you mod the hell outta your VFR to make her YOURS. $2500, just sayin, if you're interested.:whistle:

7. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

Thanks - but I've pretty much settled on the VFR. Can't have more than one bike (have to save room for car projects and kid projects) and while I'm budget conscious, I could likely spring for a Gen 6 or 7 if I wanted too...the '99 just seemed to be a sweet deal.

I'll be patient...I prefer to buy once and buy right ;)

WW

8. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Very true! I will ride the VFR while I tear down the CBR 954 to see what's wrong with it. Of course, I most likely will ride the VFR anyways. =D

9. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    This is because the VFR is a superior machine, and all of our true loves, hands down.

10. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    This has been an interesting read. I faced the very same choice about a year and a half ago. I had pretty much settled on the 650R as a (re)starter bike after being away for 25 years. But I couldn't stop looking at the VFRs on eBay. I had wanted a VF since Honda brought out the Interceptor in '83 while I was in college riding my friend's bikes like the Suzuki GS750e and Honda Nighthawk 750.

Finally picked up an '03 VFR from a guy on this forum with 14k miles and I'm delighted with the choice. Things to consider: It IS a bit of a lean to the bars and the 650 IS a bit more upright, the VFR IS heavy but at 15 to 25 MPH it feels as light as a 10-speed, VFR is super-smooth and I understand the pre-09 Ninja's are buzzy. I feel like I'm still growing into the VFR though the relationship is maturing and I think that at this point I might still be enjoying the Ninja - but in two years - who knows?

What sealed the deal was the mods I saw people doing to their 650Rs that came standard on the VFR - seat cowls, 180 rear tires and so on. Why not just get a VFR?

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    The VFR. I am not biased, so you can believe me! ;-)

Seriously, the VFR is the superior bike - engine, power, refinement, versatility. The 5th Gen is great. Just buy it.

EDIT: Why was an advertisement in my post for a product I know nothing about?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  12. Coyote3

Coyote3 New Member

Map
    I haven't ridden a 5th Gen, but I have a 6th Gen and a 06 Ninja 650r at my house......it's the wife's. I would go with the VFR hands down. The 650 is fun to ride, but like others have said, it feels small and the seat is not so comfortable. It would be good at first but you'd probably get board of it rather quickly.

13. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

For starters, I owe this thread (and forum) a reply to where I ended up. A VFR is STILL in my future. Right now I'm (W)hacking an '89 NT650 aka Hawk GT. I've had a long love affair with this model, and one became available at a great price - so I said screw it. Many, many mods have been done thus far, and I'm enjoying every second of it for a commuter bike. The Ninja is a good ride. I found a local fellow who let me cruise one (for 3 hours) and enjoyed it a great deal. IMHO, another unique entry into the scooter world...

However, this will never tour at all. A 5th gen VFR is on the shopping list, and with recent turns in my various business entities, I think one is in my '10 future. Hopeful and over-optimisitic, but that's what makes me who I am.

VFR ftw, Hawk GT ft commute.

WW

[​IMG]

14. Warren Welsh

Warren Welsh New Member

Australia
    Map

15. Warren Welsh

Warren Welsh New Member

Australia
    Map
    Mate , nice to meet you.
    I took 10 years of no big bike syndrome to think what I wanted .
    I am Honda through and through , so I said ok it must be a Honda. Last one was a ST1100.
    After looking for 10 years, I realised the 1998 1999 Gen 5 ( I didn’t even know what gen it was until I joined here and a member set me straight ) HONDA vfr was for me . I had a big off in November 1998. Took 6 months to even get on my feet . It is my third miricale of not dying when I should have . so I have always hated 1998. But this bike made me ask myself things and to get over things . This years model has become my fav because I was even recognising 1998 existed. Then after I bought one , woah, I’m in love . I’ll just collect them as they come up now . That’s my story. Everyone has theirs, but your right overall , you know what brand you are . Catch ya mate, WW also

pi-on likes this.