Torque values for coolant service

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dm4113, Feb 25, 2003.

1. dm4113

dm4113 New Member

I have a '98 VFR that I service myself. I have the shop manual, but I can't find the torque values for the cylinder drain bolt and the water pump drain bolt. Both bolts are removed during coolant service. Anybody have the info I seek? Thanks in advance for the help

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Usually, at the beginning of each section in the manual, there will be an exploded view of the section of the bike you are working with. It will show bolts, springs, parts, etc,... In some sections, the torque values will be listed right next to the bolts in the picture. In others, it will be on the first few pages, typically in a list format with all the other fasteners being used. Lastly, if the first two fail, it may be listed in the actual procedure.

I'm sorry I can't give you a number, I don't have my manual with me. However, now that you ask, I'll have to look it up when I get home. I will be doing the same exact service in a few weeks. I'll get back to you if I find it.

Adios,

3. Greg

Greg New Member

Hey dm4113, I have the Clymer's Service Manual and they say the Coolant Drain Bolt should be torqued to 10 N-m or 88 in.-lbs. I don't see a reference to the water pump drain bolt. In the coolant change procedure they don't say anything about a coolant drain bolt. There is a recommendation to replace the sealing washer. Hope this helps.

Greg

4. dm4113

dm4113 New Member

Thanks for the responses and the information. FYI - The water pump drain bolt is the larger inner bolt located in the 7 o'clock position on the water pump. Re. the washers - I'm with you. Honda sells them in a 2 pack and I replaced them both. Thanks again for the help.