Touch Up Paint Tips

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by shields17, May 27, 2021.

1. shields17

shields17 New Member

United Kingdom
    This is non-V4 related however the combined knowledge on here about paintwork seems to be second to none... hopefully the answers might be useful to people with similar VF touch-ups though!

I recently bought this VTR1000 to use as a daily rider. I wanted something I can use ever day without worrying too much about keeping things perfectly clean, and to save the VF500 from the wet. This came up at a good price and I've not had a V-Twin before so decided to give it a go.

[​IMG]

It's been pretty well looked after but at some point in it's life has had a pretty hefty scratch put on the rear cowl.

[​IMG]

Firstly, is this too big an area to be considering a touch up pen on? If not has anyone got any advice on how to get the best results? Would I need to try and sand it back in between coats of primer/colour/clear or is flattening it best dealt with after?

Any help as always hugely appreciated!

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Cheapest way of dealing with this is to fit a decal over it. Make it the same on both sides to look more correct.

After that it depends of what you are trying achieve & for what cost.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I would use some brush touch up paint (not a pen), and then put some decals on both sides in that area. Or I might try and do a "number plate" treatment that also goes into the solo cowl with the "V2" decal.

[​IMG]

4. shields17

shields17 New Member

United Kingdom
    I hadn't thought of decals actually , that definitely seems a simpler way to get good results!

Yeah the kits I've seen are the brush type ones with 3 layers for ~£15 . I'm just really on the fence as to whether its possible (or within my ability...) to not end up making it look worse! Just currently the way it is it stands out pretty badly.