Troubleshoot: Electrical/Front end

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by waterdude141, Feb 12, 2014.

1. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

So, I have a 1994 Honda VFR 750F. Picked it up last Aug. (first bike) A few months later, I started having issues with my turn signals. At first, it only did it a little bit, but when I hit the signal (left or right) It blinks fast, like if a bulb were out, and the rear signal blinks opposite of what I pressed. On top of that, when I sqeeze the front break, both my turn signals light up rather than my break light.

Around late Oct, she died on me. After 15 min sitting at a gas station trying to jump start, a man came by and started her up (I was too scared to run that fast with it. I'm kinda tiny) I let it charge for 6 or 9 hours, and for the next couple days, the signals worked fine. Then it was back to opposites.

I recently moved back to Kentucky, and every day I'm more worried that I'll get pulled over, or worse, misread and hit because of this problem. She hasnt died on me since the first time.

Anyone have this problem before? Better yet, does anyone have a solution for me? (Hopefully an affordable one)

Also, just today, I dropped her in the driveway (this make drop number 5 since i've owned her :/ ) and apart from the clutch handle bending (I can manage to fix that myself) My handle bars are off.

I had a slight offset since early Dec. when, forgetting I parked infront of the garage, I backed into it. Not fast enough to knock it over, but enough so that I split the front fender in 2. Well, and offset the wheel from the handle bars. It wasn't too noticable, and after about 20 min riding, I couldnt tell anymore.

But this time, it is VERY noticable when riding. Even when just looking from mount. I about fell over making a U-turn to get it back to my garage. I'm short on cash, and wanted to know if this is a simple fix, or if it is something I'm just ganna take on the chin and pay up (or turn in to progressive)

Thank you in advance for answering. Any answers help, even if they are just suggestions.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That electrical problem looks deep rooted. Might be something very simple but difficult to find. The bike being the age it is, you could have a short just about anywhere near the front of the bike. I suggest get yourself a cheap multi meter, learn how to use it, and go exploring. Maybe someone here has had a similar problem who can be more specific.

3. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

lol, well, I do love taking things apart >:) I'll end up doing that regardless probably. Just so I can get a feel for every thing :p Thanks Randy

4. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    The electrical issue sounds like a bad ground. I would start by checking all the electrical connections for burned connections. Also check the grounding points to the frame and of course the battery connections.

5. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    while putting my bike back together I was checking the electrical and when I checked the front turn signals almost the same thing happened, ended up being a bad ground in the front connection where the lights plug into. cleaned all the grounds and the gremlins went away.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree with MrSleep, most likely bad ground, blinkers are finding their ground back though other components.

Check all connectors for corrosion. I used an emery board for nails to get down in between contacts, but first, if they are corroded, use a mild solution of CLR to dissolve the corrosion, (no CLR in the house, try white vinegar (acetic acid)) then rinse and dry. I bought a can of CRC "Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor" to do all my connectors eventually. I figured the marine guys really know how to handle corrosion on electrical parts and this was the top rated stuff for boats!

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    'Tis really great the way peeps here jump in to help out the newbys. I guess that's why I am still on this site.

Thank you everyone. Even though it was not me looking for the advise, I do get something out of it.

You meet the greatest people riding a Honda.

8. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    5 drops in 6 months? A big tall and heavy VFR is not a good choice as a new rider's first bike.

Do yourself a favor before you get seriously hurt or killed--get a suzuki gs500 or kawa ex500 and go take a motorcycle safety course and learn how to ride a lighter, shorter bike for about 10,000 miles without dropping it.

During that time you can also learn how to fix the electrical wiring mess and the twisted/bent forks.

9. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    When lights do funny things or wrong ones light up, it is a bad earth 90% of the time.
    Cheap to fix but can be hard to find.

10. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

Thank you :) Totally a connection problem. Took the plastics off, and the connector was loose AND corroded. Cleaned it up, pushed it in and BAM. Turn signals work. Next up is new tires, plastics, straighten the bars, and a clutch handle. :p Thanks again everyone who replied so quickly! This forum is great!!

11. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

take your tubes off and roll them on a flat(glass is best) surface. you may have a bent one, or it could be just one that turned a bit in the trees. at that age, take em off and change the oil. most likely needs it by now and you can inspect them easier.
    if its been hit hard enough to break plastics then its hard enough to bend things :S

12. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

Already had the riding course :) Grew up on light dirt bikes and what not, have been an avid cyclist for years, I just felt like going big :) plus the 750 was cheaper than almost every 250 I found. And 500. (got it with the fairings already banged up too, so doesn't hurt me TOO bad if I drop it)

13. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

Thanks! I was about to google all that stuff xD getting the oil changed next week, though It was changed right before I bought it, I've gone about 1500mi on it since then. Figure 2000 is prolly a norm for oil changes. My drops havnt actually broken the plastics, just scratched (besides the time I backed into it) But I bought it with fairings that had been poxy'd back together :p For the pure reason that I knew i'd drop it atleast once. I'm replacing those this summer, once I'm sure I'm done dropping it from rookie mistakes (like leaning WITH it at 0mph to catch it. For shame, me.) I've decided that my 2 year old worn down canvas shoes are no longer permitted when getting on her. I think it's a smart move on my part. lol.

When I looked at the bars, it seemed like it didn't bend them, but maybe twisted the forks? I'm ganna have a bike mech. friend of mine look at and give me his opinion.

14. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I make it a point never to ride with shoes/sneakers with laces! Got caught on shifter several times.

15. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

Everytime I wear them, if I'm not almost falling over from sliding, my laces are hooking onto the shifter. I feel ya.

16. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

I meant to change the fork oil, that needs it every two to three years. that and you've dropped it so you could have crud from the bottom (oil of any type makes its own crud when heated and your forks do a very good job of heating it) floating around.

Engine oil, well that depends on several factors: how hard you ride it, how long you ride it (short trips (less than 15 miles) are worse), type of oil (any Jasco MA rated oil is fine (well almost) but some do better than others, Im on rotella oil for diesel engines and don't have a single complaint with 5000 to 6000(sometimes more) between oil changes), and the every good rider question: what color is it - black, golden, dark brown, and fresh oil color(reference what your fresh oil color is as each company tints it slightly different) just as long as it is not white, creamy or some other not normal color.

Remember to pre-fill your oil filter until it stops taking more before you put it on. 2 secs of no lube is a good way to sweep a bearing or break a set of rings.

17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Amen to that bro, but few riders follow good advice. Practically never done when a shop does an oil change. What do they care, it's not their bike !!??

18. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

what? no thanks? lol

if a shop took the time to pre fill a filter, that mech would be canned for wasting time.

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have never done that one mine. I figure that there is enough residual oil on all the parts to sufficiently lube things until the oil circulates on start up. BTW. over 170,000 km so I guess my way cannot be too wrong. But to pre-fill is not wrong by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe a good insurance policy or even put you mind at ease. I don't have to put my mind at easy cause I can't find it. Lost it long time ago. Anyone here seen it floating around?

20. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Randy, last I seen badbilly and squirelman were using it as a foot ball.

Also, the air in your filter can get caught in the passages thus preventing oil from getting to where it has to go. Main bearings are not much of the problem, however you have many small bearings that require oil immediately after startup. These are the ones to worry about. Besides, fill fiter and let it sit while you drain oil. Then fill it again and drink a beer, then fill it again and put it on.
    See no wasted time!

Side note 170,000kms is good. Very good, but I want to reach 300k kms :D