TT Isle of Man.......mad men on bikes....

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by EpiEric, Aug 6, 2012.

1. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Some day I'll be watching the race.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What??? No Harleys??? OMG!!! LOL

The Isle of Man TT is not really a race unless one considers the race against the clock. It is a TT, a Tourist Trophy. This is why we see those specific average speeds and lap times.

Here in the states we have, for the noobs , Pikes Peak..

Sturgis does not count.. Sorry bout that..

3. Badbilly

United States

Those crashes are very cool, I bet you have a whole stash of crash shit.

The IOMTT does offer a great degree of separation unlike separating harleydoods with crowbars.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I bet half of those riders drink scotch the night before and all have hangovers. :boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer::boozer:

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I can't really disagree with your sentiments, but I think many would say same about the older NASCAR races, the earlier Kentucky Derby. Even go back to when they had the original 6 teams in the NHL if you klnow what that is.

But sport, and spectator events do evolve. Everyone will try to out do what has been done in the past. Otherwise what's the use.

But I do agree to some extent. Seeing Bobby Hull, screaming down center ice with the Black Hawks, firing off one of his infamous 100 MPH slapshots past the goalie, does have a lot more of a exciting feel to it than to watch these bitching crying hockey players today.....on a large degree anyways.

6. drumwrecker

drumwrecker New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I think the problem is more likely money.
    It seems all types of motorcycle racing has had to be confined to a specification so as to keep the private runners in the racing and to stop the big factories going on a spending spree to win.
    In the past there was a differential but not like it is now so the home built race bike could be in the same race as a factory multi cylinder bike. And the bike could have any sort of engine.

In fact I believe the MotoGP as it is there for experimental engineering that eventually ends up on production machinery should be totally open to anything as long as it is relevant to ending up on the road. Limitation would be pollution and maybe fuel economy. It may include rotary, two stroke, diesel, steam, electric, any number of cylinders. Think what might come out of that and the eccentric engineers that might come up with a winner.

7. Badbilly

United States
    There several pages on WIKI concerning the IOMTT from it's inception to present day. The bikes were different and few and the course was much shorter for obvious reasons, waaay back in the day.. I wonder if sometimes we are talking regular days of the St. James version?

Clear thinking should indicate that the whole damn thing is about money . The money comes from motorcycle sales. Do we see down the line things on factory and privateer racebikes that may or may not show up on our mass produced street or dirt bikes? Not much need to even point that out unless some noob needs a little education, or the poster just figured it all out in a flash of brilliance..

The IOMTT bikes are not GP bikes.. and if all the various types were to be on the course all at once the USMC has a term for that.

Loved the bit on pit stops and the disclaimer about paved courses... Note the Senior TT is four laps of the 37.5 mile course. Yes those liter bikes get really crappy mileage at nearly 200mph. Some body ought to do something aboot that.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Lots of Honda's now. I would like to hear a few V4's roar through there. An RSV4 would be fun.

9. drumwrecker

drumwrecker New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The 1957 Golden Jubilee senior was a seven lap race of 264.11 miles that Bob McIntyre won and he set the 100mph lap.
    The first race in 1907 was on a course of 15 miles 1,470 yards of 10 laps won by Charlie collier in 4 hrs 8mins.
    In those days men were really men as the saying goes.
    Wikipedia is great isn't it.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Aww shucks, I was just aboot to post that I had all that stuff memorized.

11. drumwrecker

drumwrecker New Member

United Kingdom
    Map