US in the news here

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by OZ VFR, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I consider a 380 a last ditch ankle mounted effort. Ballistics on it even with really good ammo like Hornady Critical Defense is not very good. There are many 9mm and even .45 about the same size these days.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Some people can not comprehend why a lot of us like to ride motorcycles, they kill a lot of innocent people every year. Same with guns, some people love to shoot them. Both hobbies are fun, but you need proper training and respect for both.

GatorGreg and Samuel like this.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    A few pesos (yes, IMnshO!):

1. Apples v Oranges. Even when comparing different areas just within Los Angeles County (e.g. Palos Verdes and Compton) - it's Apples and Oranges, much less COUNTRIES!

2. Lies, damned lies, and Statistics! Things are skewed on an hourly basis here. In addition, no matter how rare/"impossible" it is for something to happen, that's no comfort for the poor sod (that .0000001 % chance) to whom it's happening!

3. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. Be prepared. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

4. Foolish to think criminals will follow rules/laws - that's why they are who they are. If you criminalize having guns, only criminals will have them. There's no way to unring a bell - guns are already out there.

5. Suum Cuique. To each his own. You want to carry, great. You don't want to carry, great. If you have already chosen one way or another, you don't have to "get" why the other side made their choice - leave it/them alone.

6. 'God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal.' I'm all for decent members of society to be able to carry weapons - not all decent members of society are able to defend themselves and/or their loved ones very well empty handed. 'People carry guns because cops are too heavy'.

7. If you're gonna carry for protection, be Ready, Willing, and Able.

8. Pure evil does exist and it's often manifested in the actions of creatures that some people still stubbornly call/treat as "human beings".

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Don't know yet about CO but been shooting since I was 8 and if any training class is mandatory I'll be happy to do any and all-- like ATGATT I'm game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Eagle Six likes this.
  5. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I'll disagree with you a bit Gator - your post would make more sense if the intended audience was a bunch of cops who are paid to actively confront bad guys and engage in gunfights. For me the 380 is purely a defensive concealed carry piece that is so small and light it is COMPLETELY unobtrusive and has good enough ballistics to fend off probably 95% of what I'm likely to encounter (see excellent 380 ammo review vid below). Yes there are some VERY small 9mm and .45's these days and I do own / have owned a number of them over the years, but the key phrase you used was "about the same size". They are NOT QUITE the same size and they do weigh several ounces more than the LCP. Even the lightest 9mm (I think it's still the single stack Keltec?) weighs several more ounces than the Ruger LCP. For me, I prefer having the lighter weight of the LCP for my purposes.

Yes, if I were a cop or lived in a high crime area I would consider carrying something bigger on a regular basis - in fact when I go to Miami about twice a year I usually bring a 9mm or .45 Glock and leave the ElsiePea at home :D. But for just putzing around the Orlando suburbs the 380 is more than sufficient IMO. Actually it was this story about Governor Rick Perry back in 2010 that first made me take a look at the 380 because I too like to jog with my dog and I do occasionally see coyotes and black bears when we're out. We've had cases of people getting attacked by these animals while walking their dog where I live so I like to be somewhat prepared: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042705323.html

duccmann likes this.
  6. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I'm pretty sure they'll make you take a course to get a concealed weapons permit there. I love Colorado - they are starting to train their teachers to shoot back. This should be allowed in all states IMO:
    http://www.9news.com/news/local/nex...-teaches-school-staff-to-shoot-back/450818166

duccmann likes this.
  7. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  8. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I'm afraid Australian filters are much better. ;):Bolt:

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Guns are very useful and effective at committing suicide. Not only that, I can't remember one instance of somebody holding up a liquor store, or bank, with a motorcycle. Robbing somebody at motorcyclepoint doesn't have the same ring to it.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you may be on to something... how can I rob someone with a motorcycle...

oh wait, Harley already did that...

Sorry. had to be done. don't be a hater.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Somebody inferred motorcycles and guns were somehow equally dangerous....the harley, not so much.....it would misfire.

Y2Kviffer, Samuel and 34468 Randy like this.
  12. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

You find the list stupid as it contradicts a statement you made, rather childish but unsurprising as that does seem to be your mentality.

13. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    I have two friends die from blunt force trauma. One was t-boned by a cager, the other was out of control. They were both riding motorcycles. They are both dead. The motorcycle did not kill either. My friend who was t-boned was killed by the actions of the cager. My other friend was killed by his own actions riding beyond his limits, it was suicide. I'm bewilder at those who feel riding a motorcycle to their death is somehow more righteous than carrying a gun for their protection. I have never heard of anyone defend themselves from an armed robbery with a motorcycle.

I acknowledge there are examples that can be used by both sides during a discussion, I just wanted to add some balance here with the two above.

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  15. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, 2.2 miles??!! That's incredible/awesome!

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Eagle Six likes this.
  17. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
  18. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
  19. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I come to the VFRWorld forum to escape the steady flow of bad news in the world. If I want to hear someone rant about the horrible state of the world all I have to do is turn on the TV or the radio. I like motorcycle and I love to ride. These things make me happy. This is why I am here.

I hate it when someone thinks they need to lambaste the US for their so called "gun culture" based on a article from our liberal press that sees a simplistic answer to a complex problem. The article in question mentions 1300 "children" a year that are killed with firearms. I know that the word "children" brings to mind images of babies, toddlers and preadolescences. This tugs are your heart strings and makes you angry. There are indeed small children killed by firearms but the numbers are not nearly that high. What the article leaves out is the 12 to 18 year old gang bangers that are getting shot or that are killing others. This is not a gun problem but a moral one and the answers are not as simplistic as implementing Obama era regulations.

In the US we have background checks and waiting periods for the purchase of firearms. I am sorry to inform you but in the US, we have the right to self protection (gun ownership) built into the very core of our law. The right to self protection is a basic freedom for every US citizen to be able to fight back in the face of crime or oppression. It is difficult if not impossible to determine which individuals "need a gun" at any given time which is want the anti-gun crowd wants to do. I don't need a gun until I do and I do not need to justify my weapons to you or anyone.

Now I'll get off my soap box and go ride!

PingJockey, Samuel, duccmann and 2 others like this.
  20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

From 2.2 miles away......