Valve adjustment

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by shortstockevs, Jan 21, 2012.

1. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    The FSM does indeed state 0.15 mm as computing to .005"...... a little off...... when you put 0.15mm to the calculator, the answer comes up .005905"......I would be more comfortable using the .006" figure.

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    As stated early in the thread, I have 86 and I did mine so a 0.15mm would fit and a 0.006 inch wouldn't. It took ages but it is possible. If you've set them to close to 0.15mm, I reckon you will be fine. Bear in mind there is an article published by Julian Ryder somewhere on this site that recommends checking the valve clearances every 1000, yes one thousand! miles (which might possibly be a typo). So if you work to that schedule you can loosen them up next time you check them in a few weeks!

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
  4. Addy

Addy New Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Thickness Gages
    How about Starrett for the longer feeler stock? Keep going down the list until you hit their feeler stock, they do have a 0.20mm thickness for the 86 750F people.

6. mecrutio

mecrutio New Member

Invisible, Try this. I looked it up where I usually buy our tooling. MSC Industrial supply. Individual searching may require some patience and finess, these people should have what you are looking for. 300mm might be too long for you, but its common in machine shops and keeps price down a tad. If you don't find what you are looking for, definitly try starrett.

Feeler Gages - Feeler Gages & Accessories | MSCDirect.com

7. HeavyNova

HeavyNova New Member

GreyVF750F-

I am looking at checking/adjusting the valves on the '86 VF500 and see you have 2 special tools here to make the job easier. I want to acquire both of your tools here. I found an OEM Honda part number for a 'VF500 model specific tappet adjusting wrench' #07908-KE90200. I was wondering if you knew whether this part # was that handy 3mm yellow square wrench or that special off set box end spanner..or are they packaged together? Or maybe that special spanner is a more generic wrench that can be found almost anywhere? Let me know if you could because I want to make sure I have all the necessary tools needed before getting into this project. What else do I need here? Two feeler gauges at the same time, is that it?

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you discover that valve clearances are correct, no need for any special tools.

9. HeavyNova

HeavyNova New Member

Thanks squirrelman! I was just curious about the specific tools pictured above in GreyVF750F's post and which of them is part #07908-KE90200. There are no pictures of this OEM part on the internet. Is it the yellow tool? I just came into possession of an '86 VF500 with 30k. It looks in great shape and idles smoothly without any discernible valve ticking or unusual engine noise right after a fresh carb. clean and re-sync, but I have absolutely no clue when the last time the valve clearances were checked. I know that valve neglect can lead to big problems on these engines..Since I am new to the steep mechanical learning curve of this particular bike (just bought the shop manual on eBay) I am taking it in to my local Honda shop to have them check the valves and adjust them (if needed) These engines are getting old. A lot of these mechanics are younger guys that haven't worked on a lot of the older V-Fours. I want to make sure they have any model specific tools they -may- need for the VF500 before going in there to check things out. Also, I like the idea of having these tools around the shop should I ever decide to check the valves myself..

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You COULD do it yourself even without those special tools. At least you could MEASURE clearances without much trouble so you know if it may need some adjustment. I just won't trust shops unless the owner is over 65 and all his mechanics are over 45, so check it yourself.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You COULD do it yourself even without those special tools. At least you could MEASURE clearances without much trouble so you know if it may need some adjustment. I just won't trust shops unless the owner is over 65 and all his mechanics are over 45, so check it yourself.

12. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    I like to keep things simple. I rotate the engine placing the heel of the cam lobe against the rocker, use the two feeler method. I bought my 500 3 years ago, adjusted the rockers using this method, checked them twice since, clearances still in spec after a bit over 4K miles.

13. HeavyNova

HeavyNova New Member

Fair enough. I just don't have the time right now and wouldn't go to all the trouble of pulling everything apart, measuring clearances, and then not having the needed wrenches to make possible adjustments, which brings me back to trying to find these wrenches.Also, to be honest I've never worked on valves before and this bike seems like a bear to start on. From reading these forums it seems that 100% of VF riders are expected to do their own work 100% of the time but I could use a hand with these valves. On the same token, reading horror stories about people get their valves mis-adjusted in shops and wrecking their engines does sound horrifying, which is why I wanted to acquire the tools and any of other V-Four valve info I could find and share this with the mechanic ahead of time before going into it blindly. I received a quote for the work. I am fine paying it. It's just a question whether they could do a good job or not. They're still likely to do a better job than I would since they are full-time mechanics and I have 0% experience working on valves. HA!! I suppose I am at a bit of a stalemate.. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  14. HeavyNova

HeavyNova New Member

For what it's worth, the engine purrs smooth as a kitten without ANY undesirable or strange noises, less in fact than practically every other motorcycle I've ever owned (12). Perhaps this is a good indicator valves are in check? I suppose you have to teardown to have any peace of mind, but I am tempted to leave them be if they aren't putting up any red flags. I suppose this is where people get into trouble- thinking everything is probably fine and leaving it.

15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I have heard, seen horror stories regarding people/mechanics/tech's removing cams, then on the re-install, snapping them, getting time camming wrong, ticking engines, etc, etc.

If you go to K&L they sell some chrome plated tappet wrenches where you can hold the screw adjuster/block adjuster and then turn the appropriate wrench. Either a 12/6 point, I have some off set midget wrenches that I favour over these K&L ones as they feel better in my hands. Got an old 10mm open end tappet wrench that is a good one too.

Remember, he who dies with the most tools wins. :vtr2:

16. HeavyNova

HeavyNova New Member

Is it not worth screwing around with valves if valve chatter is currently at a minimum? I've had bikes with noisy or ticking valves before, but this 500 engine is not one of them- I just don't want this little gem of a motor to self-detonate..Should I leave the valves for the time being or is that a huge mistake since I have no idea when they were last checked or adjusted?

17. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Yes, in my opinion it is definitely worth checking them. The VF500 has a very delicate valve train and is not part of the motor that should be neglected. Check them now.

18. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Worth checking....correct clearance is very important for proper performance and long valve train life. You state that there is no undesirable noise.....the clearances could be to tight, not good either. Since tools are mentioned, these are all you need to adjust....the funny looking thing is a piece of broomhandle with a square drive deck screw in it, fits the square on the adjuster screw.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014