VF 500 F had different heads with cam shafts - long or shoter - can I swap heads

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Pawel1967, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Pawel1967

Pawel1967 New Member

Poland
    VF500F - different cylinder heads with two type of camshafts long and shorter - can i use both (chain is the same ?) with cylinder block?, or other problems when I swap? Anyone knows? pls

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    You can't swap heads between the 84/85 and the 86 as far as I know. The 86 heads are much wider and I have always assumed would not fit the block. However if the block is the same then maybe you can. I don't think I have seen any evidence where it has been tried on a 500 though .

3. Pawel1967

Pawel1967 New Member

Poland
    Thanks for reply. I checked head fits block. Additionally I checked on cmsnl that cam chains are the same over 83 to 86 models. So I think swap eg 83 heads on 86 block theoretically is possible. So I start. If anyone knows the reason it is wrong way, let me know, pls

4. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thinking about it if the block is the same then the mating surface between the block and cylinder heads must be the same too and one assumes the bolt holes and cooling channels. All the extra width will be above this to cater for the wider camshafts. Nothing like trying it. There are maybe other gotchas though that other better informed contributors can chip in with.

If it does work please let us know. A 84/85 bottom end and 86 top end would be an interesting hybrid The other way round too!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. Pawel1967

Pawel1967 New Member

Poland
    You are right - cooling channels can be sensitive point, I will check ones again and I let you know

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have planned on trying this for a while now. In everything I've looked at, you might have to be careful about which head gasket you use and might have to modify it. Pretty sure the gaskets are different if I remember correctly.

7. Pawel1967

Pawel1967 New Member

Poland
    Hmm, maybe someone could help, please. When installing camshafts, sprockets etc I put the engine in TR position, and now there is a question which cylinder should be at TDC for proper timing: the no 1 or no 4. It is not clearly stated neither in shop manual nor Clymer, so please help !!!

8. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
  9. Pawel1967

Pawel1967 New Member

Poland
    corona makes world stoped, so I have time now to share my "achivements" in head swap. So I did it. It means I replaced head from 96 model by 94 model.
    Camshafts are shoter, but the rest is ok and all fits. Moto runs with the same dynamic as previously, maybe the sound is a little bit different. some photo below:
    Journal was demage , this is perfect example what can happened with heads when no oil.

[​IMG]
    Luckilly for me I had old ones , forgotten head somewhere deep in garage, I found, I checked valves, everything was OK.
    Heads are different, but swapable
    [​IMG]
    Machine shop clean and plan surfaces
    [​IMG]
    When instaling oil artery, I noticed leakage, It finished with rapalcement all oil seals at head and at the beginning of artery near water pomp
    Water pump was ok, genarally, but seal had to be replaced, as well
    [​IMG]
    once again : size of camshaft is different, but swap is possible[​IMG]
    all the time bigger brothers of small interceptor look with some dose of curiosity what is going on wth small one

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. mikemo

mikemo New Member

United States
    Map
    Did anyone download these updated pages? I went over to v4hondabbs but the post with this info just shows "direct link denied". I'll be pulling the front head on my 86 vf500f soon and would like any updated docs to go by.
    Thanks!

11. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    These are the cam installation pages from a manual that I downloaded.

Attached Files:

12. mikemo

mikemo New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Terry!