VF 500

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Joe, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

There appears to be conflicting information about the early VF's reliability. There are references to problems with chain driven cams, and yet there is info on the net about high mileage reliability with happy owners. I am thinking about an 83 VF 500 with 13,000 miles on it. On this site there is a message to avoid VF's "like the plague." I am not a mechanic. I would appreciate any insight as to experiences with these early models. Thanks.

2. michael

michael Guest

My first bike was a 1982 Magna, and my second bike was a 1983 Interceptor (both have the same engine). As with any older, AND first-run bike, there were issues. But, every bike has issues, it's just a matter of knowing what they are so that you can watch out for them. :)

To my knowledge, the main issue that plagued the early v4 engine was random cam wear. It affected some bikes, and not others. There is a ton of information on the web about the issue, just do a search on "oil mod".

Here is one of the original, and best, articles: http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html.

Many people installed a modification to pump more oil into the cams, which prevented the problem. I personally never experienced a problem with either of my bikes, and they were amazing bikes. If I had more storage space, I would have kept the old Interceptor.

Good luck on your decision, but owning the old v4s got me hooked!

Michael
    www.VFRworld.com

3. OGERSKINNYMAN

OGERSKINNYMAN New Member

Re: VF 1000

HI, I'M NEW HERE, AND A NEW OWNER OF A 86 VR1000. IT RUNS GOOD, BODY ROUGH, HANDLES A LITTLE FUNNY, BUT THAT COULD BE ME (NOT HAVING RIDDEN IN YEARS)HAS A OUT OF STATE SALVAGE TITLE, SO I'VE GOT TO GO THRU A RECLAMATION INSPECTION PROCEDURE IN ORDER TO GET A PA. TITLE. ANYWAY, ANY TIPS OR INSITES ON THIS MODEL. ANY ADVISE WILL BE APPRECIATED!!

4. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Gday from down under,
    What exactly would you like to know about the early VF1000 series of bikes, I have three of them, two "F's"and one "R". The "R" is supposed to be the granddaddy of all the VFR's due to it being the first to employ "gear driven cams". Any info you require I will do my best to answer, if I don't have an answer, I will certainly do my best to find out for you.
    Smithy.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

hey there! any info on the vr1000, i.e., maint. issues, reliability problems, quirks, etc. have you found it hard to get mechanical parts? the body is all there, but rough. brought it to the shop today; now i wait to see if it clears for titling, or becomes a parts bike (bent frame, fork damage). my last bikes were boxers; stone reliable and easy to work on. but no pizzazz. sorry to drone on, but any tips will be appreciated. thanks