VF1000F oil Mod failure!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Troglodite, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Troglodite

Troglodite New Member

United States
    Just wanted to reach out to those who have bought the VF oil mod kit. I purchased one from V4 Market I believe back in 2015 and didn't notice a problem until changing the oil one day. I found a aluminum dust in the oil, after finding this, I removed my valve covers to see what was going on and upon looking at the cams I found the ends of the cams worn with deep grooves, aside from the cams being pitted for years.
    Luckily I had a spare set of heads, Once the engine was out of the frame on my bench, I began to remove the oil filter kit, once the center boss was out of the body of the mod plate, I found the stock o-ring had shrunk and was letting the clean and dirty oil mix, but worse was the loss of oil pressure because of this.
    I am returning my engine back to the stock oil port but with the same size oil lines that came with the mod kit, just the correct length. I think if the stock o-ring was replaced (mod kit oil boss, aka close nipple) with a slightly over sized x-ring would solve the issue. I am not taking that road, if dirty oil to the head is good enough for Honda, its good enough for my VF1000F, just letting you all know what can happen with this kit.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow, just wow! Sorry to hear this happened.

Now that you are a part of the VFRWorld family, we would like to get to know you better. Post an introduction in the intro thread, and if you have a photo or two of your bike attach them.