VF1000R oil cooler with extra oil supply to heads (oil mod)

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by thx1138, Apr 11, 2013.

1. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Bike 1985 VF1000RF
    Would it be possible to put an inline oil cooler into the line from the main oil gallery to the heads?
    My concern is that it might create too much resistance to flow.
    The other thought would be to re-route the existing oil cooler return line to supply the heads instead. If anyone knows whether the secondary rotor in the oil pump will move enough oil to feed the heads that would be much appreciated.

2. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Many argue the oil mod using the main oil gallery uses too much oil, that you can easily starve the bottom end. If this is the case a little restriction from an oil cooler would only serve to help. Problem is I don't believe the oil cooler would cause any restriction for the amount of oil flowing to the top. Also, I believe cooler oil at the cams could only serve to help also.

Or.... you might fry your engine before you reach the corner.

Of course this is only my opinion. Good idea, now I'm interested because this seems to be the only way to even introduce an oil cooler on this engine.

Anybody?

3. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    The 85 model VF1000RF has a factory oil cooler on it already.
    The 84 VF1000RE has no oil cooler and I am looking at adding one to help keep it cool.
    The smaller oil pump rotor which feeds the oil cooler is about half the size of the main pump rotor.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013