VF1000R plug wire question-

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by BillyBob, Apr 16, 2021.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

United States
    Map
    The plug wires on my '86 VF1000R are the originals and way past due for replacement. Wondering if the boot/cap on the plug end of each wire is easily swapped onto new wires. Anyone done it?

thanks in advance!
    bill

Attached Files:

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Why in the world would you not replace the caps if you are worried about the wires? If anything, the wires are more resilient than the caps. If you are worried about originality, take the old plug wires and caps and put them in a bag for any future owner.

[​IMG]

3. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure if that means you have or haven't done it. Thanks anyhow.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have replaced wires and caps on a VF1000R. No issues. I'm not sure if you can get the original caps off of the wires without damaging the molded rubber. Never tried. They might be vulcanized right to the wire, some Hondas are.

Maybe order an old plug wire off ebay and do some experimenting if you are that attached to the original caps.

ridervfr likes this.
  5. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll pull a wire and check. I'm gonna switch to solid core wires so there's no reason to use caps at all from an electrical perspective.
    But the original caps fit nicely and do an admirable job of blocking dust, road debris, and random gritty stuff from getting down in the
    hole. Too many people leave them off or replace them with something that doesn't, letting stuff down there then they unscrew a plug and
    maybe let the bad stuff into where it shouldn't go. I've got boxes of assorted caps sitting here and there from years of doing winter restores.
    Just thought I'd try to save some time and get an inch ahead of this one since there are more than the usual number of projects going on here...

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    "due for replacement?" i don't think so, tires maybe but not honda sparkplug wires !

honda's high-quality oem wires are capable of lasting for the life of the bike. no replacement necessary unless you see bare spots or breaks. the caps, however, sometimes do go bad. oem wires are solid core.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    raYzerman likes this.
  7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    high quality units on the Honda bikes, they cost mucho dinero. The Kawasaki that I own, I have replaced the caps in the past as the round brass clip inside went weak and would not grip the threaded end of the plug. There is a resistor in there too and you can have hours of fun with your multi-meter testing different ones if your super bored. :mech:

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member