VF500F Valve Adjustment

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by xtravbx, Sep 10, 2009.

1. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Well I just wrapped up the valve adjustment on my VF500F. That was a chore. I've done valves on my VW Beetle before, but this is the first time on a bike. Ugh. Just glad it's over.

2 things though:

One - the valves definitely needed adjusting, I heard them clicking and clacking like crazy. So now my bike appears to be running a lot cooler (possibly from dumping and draining the radiator (though I had -JUST- flushed it 200 miles prior, and it had no affect on temperature). It's just way cooler. Is that because the valves were way off?

Two - Since I had to pull the alternator cover, I now am leaking oil out of the alternator cover. So apparently I need to replace the gasket. Does liquid gasket maker work as a good replacement, and if not - what's the best place to get parts for this old bike?

2. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    Use Three Bond sealant for the cover.:thumbsup:

3. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Thanks - I'll give some liquid gasket a shot. I try to never use that stuff, but I'll give it a whirl.

4. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    could you tell us how hard it was to adjust them?

5. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

It sucked. Honestly I was going to take pictures along the way to help everyone out - but I got frustrated and just wanted to finish the job.

I definitely recommend having the right tools - which to be honest a metric socket set and an 8mm box wrench is fine - but the special adjustment tool from Honda would make the job a lot easier. I'm just referring to the one that fits onto the 3mm square adjustment post.

I was building a deck once and as soon as I saw that 3mm square, I knew a long deck screw w/ the 3mm square would fit that. It did, and i used vice grips on the pointed end of the screw, and used the head of the screw to actually hold the adjuster while I used the 8mm wrench to lock the locknut down.

Accessing the rear valves was a lot easier than the front if you ask me. Tearing off the radiator was a pain in the neck, and then you just have less work room due to the forks/front wheel.

The rear was cake, take off the tank, take off the coilpacks, take off the 4 bolts to access the valves. You're golden.

I could provide any details if neccesary.

6. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    how many shims did you have to add?

7. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Thankfully the VF500F motor does not use shims, it uses a more familiar "locknut / adjuster" type setup.

You check clearance, if needed loosen the locknut w/ the 8mm box wrench, adjust the adjustment w/ the special Honda tool or the ghetto fabulous tool that I explained in my first post (3mm square decking screw held w/ vice grips). After you adjust the adjustment screw to the correct gap, you hold it tight in place and crank the locknut back down so the adjuster will not move.

Edit: But kind of going along w/ your question on shims needing to be add, you can equate that w/ how out of adjustment where the valves?

Quite a lot. The intake valves were extremely tight, and the exhaust were slightly tight.

The motor PURRS now after doing it. 22,xxx miles and I'm guessing this is the first time the valves were adjusted.

8. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map

reason i ask i had mine adjusted by a dealer ship when they where installing the jet kit but the bike is makign a light clciking sound at idle, which make me think they didnt to a good job or didnt do it at all! do you know what the specs are for adjustments? mines got 20,ish

9. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Yes for your 86 motor, all valves need to be at .006 on intake and exhaust.

A little click is no big deal. That's to be expected even at perfect adjustment. But if they click a lot, like mine was, something isn't right. Do you hear it clicking even a little higher than idle? Maybe at a steady cruise? Or does your exhaust down out the sound of your motor?

You can check to see if they were adjusted if you want to pull the tank, pull the coilpacks, pull the spark plugs. Unscrew the timing viewing hole on the engine side cover w/ a big flat head screw driver.

Pull the rear valve cover. Pull the alternator cover. Remove the slave cylinder and zip tie it safely up and out of the way. (Don't know if this is neccesary or not to remove, the manual says it is).

(Check - is your alternator cover gasket new? If not, chances are they didn't adjust your valves - because that gasket is paper and in my experience would need to be replaced if its old).

Now that you have access to the main bolt underneath the alternator cover, you can rotate the crankshaft of the motor, line up the timing mark in the viewing hole, and check the clearances on your 2 rear cylinders (which I found are the easiest to get to.)

If those 2 are in spec, then you're golden and I'm guessing the front cylinders will also be in spec.

If those are not in spec, well then plan on tearing off the front fairings, radiator, and some radiator hoses to access the front valves.

If you need exact instructions and don't have a manual, let me know.

10. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

Motionpro makes a slick tool for this job. HERE I've been tempted to buy one, just haven't had the funds for it. I may have to adjust them with simple tools for now, or just do it later.

I'm curious to see what others say about your bike running cooler now. Mine tends to heat up quite a bit in traffic, which I just thought was the nature of the beast! I know my valves need adjusted, and it would be cool if it would help it run cooler!

11. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map

yea the exhaust is pretty loud as for the clicking at running speeds no i havent notice any but i cant hear anything over the exhaust. listen for your self. YouTube - my vf500 part 2

12. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

That tool looks very sweet. I read the one review about it - I'm wondering if its too short like he states? I don't know, I'd like to try it.

And yes, it is strange - but my bike is running definitely cooler. It's either from the radiator flush, which I doubt because like I said I just did a full flush about 200 miles ago and noticed no real change.

13. xtravbx

xtravbx New Member

Matt, I think you should check your valves. I can hear them over that very loud exhaust at idle.

As you probably know, valves being too tight will cause some serious problems if left uncorrected.

If you had this dealer work recently done, maybe take it back and ask them to check the clearance right in front of you.

14. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map