VF500F vs. VF500C Fan Switch

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by invisible cities, Oct 1, 2010.

1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Would anyone know if the thermostatic fan switch for the VF500C will fit on the VF500F?

From what I have read the VF500C's fan switch threshold is set to 50 degrees cooler. This is part number 37760-MB4-770.

For reference, the VF500F's fan switch is part number 37760-KS4-880.

Thx!

2. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    That's a worthwhile investigation.

I purchased a small push switch that I was going to mount on the rear-side of the fuse box cover to allow for manual toggling of the fan, but I never got around to it.

3. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Yes, definitely a great mod to do as well.

4. blitzas

blitzas New Member

50 degrees is a lot, doesn't sound correct.
    I have done the parallel switch mod. It works well only if you have it permanently on while in traffic. Otherwise it is cumbersome switching manually on and off.
    I was thinking when my bike will be on the road again to upgrade in a dual thermo-switch/dual speed or even better with a thermo-dependant PWM motor controller

5. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I don't know about the C model, but maybe this info would help:

This is right out of my notes, but unfortunately I didn't write down the activation temperatures for the Honda part numbers. Supposedly they are both lower than stock. I'd suggest going the GP Sorensen or NAPA route anyway.

6. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Great info. Thank you for the post.

7. blitzas

blitzas New Member

Copied from the Dutch manual:
    VF500 thermostatic fan switch on @90±2°C, off @85±2°C
    (on @190.4F~197.6F, off @181.4F~188.6F)

8. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Thank you for the post. Would you happen to know the temperature specs for the VF500C?

9. blitzas

blitzas New Member

I'm sorry I don't know them, nevertheless I doubt if there is difference of few degrees or if there is any difference at all.
    Alteration of originally designed operating temperature of the engine is not a good thing to do. Engine needs to be in the range 82 to 92 degrees C. Everything else results in problems in long run.
    Mechanical thermostat and thermostatic switch are practically overlapping working side by side. If you really need to lower the temperature of the engine (affecting almost all the usable range) you can "tweak" the mechanical thermostat; I have done that too.
    Pressing the sides of the thermostat lengthens it and makes it's activation in lower temperature while maximum opening gets larger. Before "modding" the thermostat my normal temperature was with temp needle exactly at mid of the whole range, with above "modding" I could get anything from just above the "cool" band.
    Living and riding on temperatures from +10C to +35C led me to modify the thermostat in order to lower the normal temp to slightly less than the mid of the whole range. I experienced no problem and my summer trips were cooler.
    Best solution would be a bigger radiator adding more thermal capacity and lowering temperature fluctuations. If I am not mistaken the VF500F does have a bigger radiator.

10. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Thanks Blitzas.

I was going by this post, http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

Heat. (according to mechanics, not official Honda pronouncements)

Despite liquid cooling, these engines do get hot. Usually the rear cams are the first to go because they get hottest. There was no official remedy for this to my knowledge, but there are a couple things you can do.

* Rejet the main jets up one size to run richer and thus cooler. This may result in slightly higher fuel consumption and EPA violation, and you don't run on main jets all the time, but it may help. (Incidentally, Honda upped the main jet size on the '83 Sabre from '82, but we're not sure why.)
    * Install a manual over-ride on the radiator fan so you can turn the fan on before the engine gets too hot (when you know it is about to, such as when you're coming into stop'n'go traffic), instead of after it gets too hot, the way the system normally works.
    * Upgrade the thermal switch that controls the radiator fan. Here's some info from Eric Sterbenz, ers@cbnmva.att.com:

"I have a V65 Sabre. I was going through some old VF Sport Touring Association newletters the other day and came across a tech article talking about a lower temp fan switch for the VFs, part no. 37760-MB4-770. It is supposed to lower the fan threshold about 50 degrees. I checked at the dealer and this is now the standard part in the database."

Could be the 50 degrees is a bit off the mark...

11. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Here are the spec's I have for the '84 VF500F (US)

Shows continuity @ 208-215 degrees F.

[​IMG]