VFR 1st bike, a predictably bad idea

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by FearIsGood, May 27, 2008.

1. AKmik

AKmik New Member

All of the qualities listed are what turned me on to the Interceptor as well. That and the fact that when I was in high school the snazzy red white and blue VFR first hit the streets and I have always wanted one since.

I am also a new rider with limited experience, I grew up riding friends dirt bikes and have limited experience with street bikes. I have the MSC scheduled for next week and a deposit on a used interceptor.

I did look at a bunch of other bikes, but none fealt as right as the VFR. I also read many many reviews, and reccomendations for first serious bikes. I was very surprised at some, the SV-650 was highly reccomended as well, but the riding position turned me off, especially when I could jump from it to the FZ, to the Bandit, and back to the VFR. I am 35 and am very respectful of the power and abilities of the bike, as well as my limited experience, so like you I will definitely take it very slow and careful while riding.

My final push in the direction I went was a good friends advice. He has been riding for many years, and has been through a pile of bikes. He told me take the safety course and get a bike you will not outgrow in three months, get what you want to be riding and respect it, and don't f@#k around. By coincidence an 85 VFR was his first bike.

The guys here have also made up my mind and cost me a pile of $$$, AGATT for this guy, especially after reading some of the experiences and following links in those threads :scared: . I will be buying a hemet today and searching for pants and a jacket. it is steady in the 90s here now and all I can do is shake my head when I see these kids on GSXRs in shorts and t shirts, hot beats the hell out of having your skin shaved off.

see ya

Mike