VFR 750 86' won't start..

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Andrei, Nov 16, 2014.

1. NormK

NormK New Member

As I said before pull the tank get a fuel bottle an then you can see what is going on, you can't see a thing with the tank fitted

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

I tend follow a hierarchical problem solving check-list. So on a bike which won't start, after the basics - like the kill switch - checking the battery is serviceable is close to the top. On modern bikes so much is dependent on healthy electrics, so only once we know we have decent volts can we start to home in on any other underlying faults.

Yes I agree feeding fuel direct - might be a very sensible diagnostic test a bit further down the line. But stepping back to post #1 and you will see he says the bike was running fine - so apart from some sort of electrical gremlins in the fuel supply system the chances of sudden total fuel supply failure seem low.

Couple that with his statement that for some reason the battery was totally drained and personally I would be inclined to hold off any messing with the fuel system unless/until we know he has sorted out the battery. Over to you Andrei.

SkiMad

3. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Chuck that old battery, if you had to refill cells odds are some of them are dead and no amount of electrolyte will bring it back.

4. Andrei

Andrei New Member

Can someone please post a link or instructions on how to change the spark plugs?
    Thank you

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    You should focus more on the battery and charging the fuel system and less on the plugs IMO.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

That's in the service manual innit ?? Just use the proppa wrench, muppet.

7. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Andrei

I am getting totally lost here. :smash:

If a motorbike has issues, an important guiding principle is to focus on the stuff which is clearly not working - and just as importantly not messing with other stuff which was clearly working OK when the bike was last used - at least until you manage to get the bike running normally.

Can we take it you have already fitted a new battery and managed to get the bike fired up and running OK and you are now planning a routine service?

If not - why are you messing with the plugs??????????????????????? Leave the damn things alone! When you rode the bike home a few weeks back they were working fine - and the chances of all 4 failing at the same time are infinitesimally small BUT good plugs or bad, with the bike switched off they won't of themselves drain a battery, and to get at them and replace them you will be unnecessarily disturbing a heap of components which were working - so rather than reducing, you will be adding to the list of potential suspects for your starting problems.

PLEASE stop spending on anything else until you install a healthy fully charged battery (push starts, messing with the electrolyte in a dead battery, or attempting booster charges from a car battery are no substitute to installing a suitable new battery). Once you have done that, tell us whether it starts up OK.

SkiMad

8. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Andrei

We all need to start sometime - so what are you doing on Tuesday evening?

Could you get to London by 7pm - as the guys at Oval Motorcycle Centre are running one of their popular Basic Motorcycle Servicing courses. You will find details on their website here..

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/omc-training/

If you are struggling to work out how to change the spark plugs, then I think this course will be worth every penny of the £40 fee. If someone is struggling to think of a brilliant Christmas present for you this year, then maybe suggest they pony up and buy you a place on the course as an early Christmas present. If you arrive early you will usually find the kettle is on :smile:

Take care

SkiMad

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Or just keep it under one topic so we can refer back to things that have been said or done previously

10. Andrei

Andrei New Member

Got it to work again today, cleaned out the spark plugs and new battery, turns out i left it on 'reserve' for a couple of days and the spark plug was flooded and battery was empty.
    Thanks guys

11. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Phew! Now it is definitely time you post up some pictures of this mythical VFR!!!!!!!

:worthless:

SkiMad

12. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Glad you got her running again! That being said, theoretically the fuel pump shouldn't allow that to happen. It is down line from the petcock and doesn't allow fuel to pass until it's running. I'm thinking maybe you ought to take a look at your floats and needles.

13. Andrei

Andrei New Member

i only have 2 pictures but sure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Andrei

Andrei New Member

its been sitting for a while since i couldn't find the time to fix it and preferred to just ride my zzr until i had the time needed to check it, if that makes sense?

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    0ur Rocketer is correct in stating that no fuel will (can) flow into carbs unless the pump is powered-up, so leaving on reserve is never a problem.