VFR Decal Removal

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Shak, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Shak

Shak New Member

I have a '99 VFR and have the VFR decals toward the bottom of the right and left fairings....I want to remove these. Are they clear-coated in or are the just removable decals. If they are removable, any suggestions on an easy way to get them off of there?

2. Hondapitbull

Hondapitbull New Member

I have a '99 also,my bike is solid black with no decals.I beleave the decals are clear-coated one the bike.My bike was a salvage title when I bought it 4 years ago,all my fairings were ordered off of ebay so they were red,yellow,blue and scratched to Hell when I got them.The bike was painted Guards red and no decals the first time,I kept that color for 3 1/2 years then decided to go with black and no decals.It's fun hav'n people wondering what kind of bike it is with out the decals giving it away.By the way welcome to VFR world,Ride Fast/Ride Safe !!!

3. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Just look closely at the edges of the decal. It will be readily apparent if there is a layer of clear coat on top of the it. You won't see a well defined edge.

If they are above the paint, a heat gun will aid in their removal by softening the adhesive a bit.

Bend your knees, Shak! Oh, sorry...wrong Shaq.

4. Spike

Spike New Member

On the '98 they were just decals, at least on my old one. Don't imagine your ''99 is different. But the way to tell is to drag a fingernail along the fairing and into the decal. If it is a decal, your fingernail with 'catch' the edge; if there is clear coat, it is more like a speed bump and less like a curb. Does that make sense?

carefull with the heat gun if you go that route, and done right it tends to be the easiest as you can remove the decal in one piece, a hair dryer can also be used, doesn't work as well, but far more common in the home and less danger of over doing.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep decals, go find a heat gun, just watch your fingers.

6. Rev

Rev New Member

Just make sure to keep the heatgun moving or you may melt the plastics as well.