VFR power band

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by slowbird, May 21, 2013.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm gonna find every thread you post in Jethro and reply with the word "Powerband".

lol

2. azi

azi New Member

This is going to sound really dumb, but to me my non-vtec VFR feels like an inline 4 at low revs and has the power sensation of a v-twin up the top. What I mean is that the viffer is pretty smooth and docile in traffic around 2000-3000rpm whereas my Ducati would try and shake itself to bits in that rev range. Meanwhile the Duke lifts its skirts around 4000rpm and is pretty linear until it hits the rev limiter with no real kick in the pants - just like the viffer, which just builds power with no big snap.

In other words it feels like an electric motor compared to the other engine configs I've ridden ;) if anything I'd say that single cylinder thumpers have the narrowest 'powerband' of the 4-strokes and are hardest to ride well - a DR650 only starts moving at 4000rpm and it's all over at 6000!

(By the way I have NFI why this is from an engineering perspective, just telling you what my butt dyno says)