VFR Toolkit?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by azsmp, Mar 21, 2008.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    They made the "tool" kit exactly that in 2007, just the handle and chain adjusting stamped tool. I added the screwdrivers, hex wrenchs, and open-end adjustable to the bag with a piece of foam to try to keep it quieter.

If you go back to the dealer, let me know if you can kick a "tools" kit free for an 07 or 08 6th gen.

The tools are better quality if you put it together IMHO, but some tools, like :yousuck: THE FREAKIN' SPANNER WRENCH SHOWN IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL should be included.

huff... puff.... hufff...
    must...
    lower...
    blood... pressure.

ahhhh. beer. :drink:

2. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

My 06 came with the chain adjust spanner and that was all. I carry the complete tool kit that came with my 86 VFR700F2. I need a crow bar to get it in or out from under the seat, though. LOL

3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Here are some pics of my kit that came with my bike. I was told they ALL came with a kit. It sits under my seat just as it should. Whoever didn't get one, I think you dealer owes you.

Under Seat
    [​IMG]

Bag Front
    [​IMG]

Bag Back with feeler gauge.
    [​IMG]

Tools
    [​IMG]

4. jeff8478

jeff8478 New Member

Only in Canada, you say?

Hey jasonsmith, that's the same as my set.

No wonder the bike costs $5,000 more here!!! :mad: :smow: :canada:

5. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    There could be a lot of truth to that LOL.

6. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Map
    That is the same underseat kit that I got from the dealer when I bought my used '04. I took it out to check it and had to have my wife put it back because I couldn't get my mitt of a hand around the brackets that it has to fit next to. If I have to use it on the road, I'm going to have to tuck it into my jacket until I make it back to the house.

7. georgealm27

georgealm27 New Member

This is rigodamndiculous... I need to adjust the preload on my rear suspension (2009 VFR800). My kit only came with the same crap mentioned above, 1 extender and the chain tool, NOT the rear susp tool)..

On the website linked in one of the posts above (Ohio, Florida, Honda, Parts, Accessories, dealer, Honda Direct LIne) they have the following 4 items under tools:

QUANTITY REF# PART #REQ YOUR PRICE

01 BAG, SERVICE BOOK
    77251-342-000 001 $3.44

04 BAG, TOOL
    89101-MBW-000 001 $4.94

06 SPANNER, PIN
    89201-MR8-000 001 $12.33

15 GRIP, RR.
    89256-MT4-000 001 $11.35

Unfortunately, I get the feeling these are the 4 items I actually received with my bike: the manual, tool bag, tool extender, and tool spanner for the chain..

URGH. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on the tool to adjust my rear susp. preload..or a complete Honda toolkit that has this tool, PLEASE PM ME.

much appreciated

8. georgealm27

georgealm27 New Member

disregard above...

ok, apparently Im smart enough to search for the `04 model instead of my `09 because the `04 actually came with some decent tools. Ima order both of the spanners and hopefully Ill get the right tool..

9. georgealm27

georgealm27 New Member

Ok guys, forget the site above if you're just looking for the spanner. Again, this is the tool needed to adjust the Rear suspension pre-load on sixth gen, non ABS VFR800's. I got this spanner from Kneedraggers.com for $10 and it worked great.

Cruz SPAN1 Shock Spanner - Item # 625291
    Cruz SPAN1 Shock Spanner - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

10. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    Check out the metric tool kit from Motion Pro.I think it is the most compact kit out there.Can remove 8,10,12 & 14 mm bolts also has #2 & #3 phillips,small & med. straight,5 & 6 mm allen bolts,1/4" & 3/8" socket driver,10 mm & 12 mm 1/4" drive sockets.I added a few extras to mine and they all fit in a case not much bigger than a cell phone (also a great tool).

11. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

tool kits

Guys,
    Have I fallen into a land time forgot,where people don't have enough gumption to get what they have paid for...???? I just took posession of a 99 that had all of the tools associated with all adjustments and the tool to remove the rear wheel....If a dealer is tellin you they are cutting cost by removing the tool kit....they are selling it to some poor schmuck....whos buying what you paid for....a side note my 04 ST1300 came with a complete kit as did every other bike I have gotten new or used....you guys who bought new bikes and got partial kits need to go back and get whats yours and dont take no sheite! you could make it easy on them by printing the page from the net that shows what is in the tool kit......I just can't believe this stuff......
    Rod:crazy:
    addendum
    heres a link to ronayers.com what should be under your seats...its under my 99s seat,not listed was the tool for removing the rear wheel,its a 19 mm wrench or I believe a 3/4" xocket is very close
    to this 89211-MT4-000

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...8116/Model/VFR800/GroupID/386699/Group/TOOLS_

If you got a new or a new/used then this is what ya need. I find that if my other Honda is in need of a badic service the oem tools will work fine...the only one that was a joke was the plier...poor tool. I'm ex body repair man, I always used Snap-On...when I quit tthe business I kept my tools, yes they cost way more than the oem stuff but it does fine for me....I did upgrade the tool roll o one from RoadGear and added afew extras...hope this helps and fires any new bike owners up
    Rod

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  12. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Rod you are sooooooo right on with your rant about the tool situation!

I'm a former Honda sales manager and believe me we always included
    everything that the new owner was intitled to receive.

I remember years ago working for another Honda dealer that use to
    keep the spare small jars of touch-up paint that came with the bikes.
    Then they sold them to customers who needed touch-up paint.
    I bitched about it but was told to shut up.

Be sure to check over the bike carefully and make sure that the tool kit
    is complete before you take the bike out the door.
    If the tool kit is missing or short a few items demand that they give you what you paid for.
    If they don't then leave the bike there and walk out (be sure to get back your deposit).

This kind of crap has to stop!

13. prnc81

prnc81 New Member

Map
    My tool kit only included the spanner and extension handle...
    I checked out the MotionPro metric tool kit - $58... I guess I'll be packing my own tools into the bag.

14. 2thdr

2thdr New Member

My 2004 came sans the extension for the shock spanners, hex wrenches, and some other stuff...have you checked the prices on replacements? Holy crap...$14.50 for a single hex wrench????

15. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    They run 49.99$ at Cycle gear. Do you have a Cycle gear near you? I get great deals from them all the time, usually they send me a 5$ off your next purchase coupon too. That would bring the price down to about 45$. Cycle Gear - MOTION PRO: Multipurpose Tool Kit, METRIC My kit has helped 3 members of this forum with minor stuff on our group rides. Last time a guy with the factory kit asked for mine because his is such a PITA to put back under the seat.

16. prnc81

prnc81 New Member

Map
    As a matter of fact, I do have one near me - I'm in the western 'burbs of Atlanta. I've gotten some great deals from them as well - I'll swing by there on my way home to see if they have any in the store. Thanks.

17. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I am assembling the mobile tool kit for a 5th gen.

I would like to know the purpose of the attached. Here is the descriptions:

89211-KJ2-000
    WRENCH, BOX (8MM)

I read on one blog that this part is for the preload on Gen 2-4 bikes, but cannot identify why it is in the 5th gen kit. Also, the Honda descriptions calls this as a box wrench. Is that description wrong or are all of the pictures showing a socket wrong?

If this is a socket, what is it for? Would a typical nut driver be long enough for the same task?

89211-KJ2-000 8 mm socket.jpg

Is it necessary to carry a spark plug socket? If I am meticulous with maintenance, can I expect to have a problem with a plug that must be fixed on the road? I have iridium plugs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015