VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Katana Paul

Katana Paul New Member

Map
    Good for you barny - greetings from the UK :thumbsup:

2. barny

barny New Member

Hi Guys
    I have just joined tonight so i may make a pigs dinner of this, but i have had an indicated 142mph out of an old FG. I was young and stupid then. Luckily now i am older.........and stupid,

3. Cajun Road Warrior

Cajun Road Warrior New Member

I wish I had video, Mine went just abouve 160mph maybe I had a good tail wind but that is what the speedo said

4. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

With a light rider, a good tuck, hot engine, and a long stretch of road I believe she could touch 160 indicated. Actual speed though, I HIGHLY doubt it. Jut can't do it with the gearing.

I had my 5th Gen up to 151 indicated on a long stretch with a tight tuck on an 85 degree day after about 50 miles on the highway at about 80mph. I'm 6'4" 350lbs. Only mods: 17/45 sprockets, K&N, PC III with stock map, and Staintune Highmount. Obviously didn't have my luggage on, only the stock seat cowl and front portion of the Sargent seat. I didn't measure with GPS that trip, but according to my calculations for speedo healer and previous GPS speed comparisons, my speedo reads JUST under 10% high. SO my indicated 151 is actually more like 135.9 mph. Which with the sprocket conversion and my weight make the Specifications top speed of 143 or 145 seem pretty damn practical.

So I believe 160 indicated can be reached(since with 10% error, that's right around 145 actual :eek: what do you know???)...but I'd like to see anything that proves otherwise for actual speed readings (like gps with on board video to prove it's a vfr)

5. Cajun Road Warrior

I'm a light rider. I'm 5ft 3 and wiegh about 135. I was tucked in tight and riding with a group east bound I-10 in Florida when (indicated) my speedo read 160. I'm running stock gears and a aftermarket exhaust new tires and a K&N. I notice my RPMs where way up there somewhere way above 10,000. My bike does accellerate to 150 really fast. My wife was driving the Envoy at a hundred when I flew past her at 150 with a lot left to go. I'll borrow a GPS and try agian to see what happens. I do keep up with the big bikes with no problem.

6. klee27x

klee27x New Member

United States
    Another vote for 155mph on a stock third gen. Well, it was a speedo indicated 154, at least. But I didn't dwell too long on the dial, and assumed if I had been able to look long enough I could have eventually gotten 154.5 and rounded it up. :)

Flattest, staightest, boringest road in America: I-70 through Pennsylvania. It was a clear bright day, and I could see empty road for miles ahead.

When I lived in Illinois, I regularly hit 120 on some of the interstates. Regularly, as in averaging 90mph, and hitting 120 on nearly every ride, several times a week. This is not so much to brag, but an indication of how people drive on the freeways around Chicago. The irony? Only ticket I ever got in the state was for doing 80ish in a 65. This on a road where the "speed of traffic" is about 85. It was the last day of the month and the sorry cop was behind on his quotas. Keenly aware of the date, I was taking it easy and was actually being passed (err... blown away, more like it) by several cars per minute, but I happened to be the first thing he saw as he was literally just finishing writing his previous ticket. I saw him on the side of the road a half mile ahead, and I did not feel the need to slow down any further. When I became his next victim, I actually swore and threw my wallet on the ground right in front of the bastard. He didn't even bat an eyelid. He actually never even made eye contact with me - even in court, where I tactfully berated him, and a sympathetic judge (who also drove that route) reduced my fine to the minimum. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  7. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

klee27x - I'll vouch for people from Illinois/Chicago driving like a bat out of hell:crazy:.

We call them F.I.B.'s over here...:rolleyes:

You can find them all over the I94 corridor...sometimes if you find a pack of two or three you can sneak in and run with them and make some good time along I94....just watch out for the MSP...they're getting pretty sneaky!:ninja:

8. klee27x

klee27x New Member

United States
    F.i.b?

Funeral In a Box?

Umm, come to think of it, the one time my back tire separated from the rim I was doing 120mph on the I-94. I'm thinking that centrifugal force at that high a speed keeps the tire inflated, because it was just a subtle feeling at first - of the torque not quite hitting the road when I twisted the throttle. By the time I got it down to around 90, I knew something was definitely wrong. At 60 it started feeling flat. At 30mph, it was just a piece of rubber bouncing around on the rim. Having a single-sided swingarm, I wonder if it could have rolled right off! :frown:

9. klee27x

klee27x New Member

United States
    F.i.b?

Funeral In a Box?

Umm, come to think of it, the one time my back tire separate from the rim I was doing 120mph on the I-94. I'm thinking that centrifugal force at that high a speed keeps the tire inflated, because it was just a subtle feeling at first - of the torque not quite hitting the road when I twisted the throttle. By the time I got it down to around 90, I knew something was definitely wrong. At 60 it started feeling flat. At 30mph, it was just a piece of rubber bouncing around on the rim. Having a single-sided swingarm, I wonder if it could have rolled right off! :frown:

But I got it stopped without incident. That was the only VFR I have owned that had never been dropped - either by me or by the previous owner. I bought it in the late 90's and it had <3000 miles on it! I'm dumb for having sold it when I moved.

10. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

The I stands for Illinois... the rest... not so nice lol.

11. Born2Run

Born2Run New Member

Map

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Blade?

12. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    'Blade is short for FireBlade which was first designed by Tadao Baba for Hondas CBR900RR sold in 1992. Technically speaking the last FireBlade was also designed by Tadao Baba as the 2002 CBR954RR. :cool:

The story as I understood it at the time Honda was to drop the "FireBlade" name for the 2004 CBR1000RR as an honour to Tadao Baba but after protests from hardcore 'Blade fans decided to give in and call it the "Fireblade", notice the "B" is now a "b" .

Check out link to Visordowns interview with Tadao Baba
    Tadao Baba - Father of the Fireblade - Visordown Features: 10 Minutes with...

1992 FireBlade
    [​IMG]

2002 FireBlade
    [​IMG]

2005 Fireblade
    [​IMG]

13. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
  14. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, Hey, Hey...... Lighten up on us F.I.B.'s. I thought it was just the Wisconsin guys who called us F.I.B.'s. Now Michigan too? Man..... and I love to ride in both those states! No Respect! LOL

Oh, by the way that CB 750 goes 180 mph.............off a cliff.

15. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

LOL. It was actually my cousin, who lives just outside of Madison, Wisconsin, that got me started on the F.I.B. thing! Figures, right? lol

16. jonboy2five

jonboy2five New Member

the speedos are optimistic so its a guessing game. my 3rd gen has one tooth smaller rear sprocket for better acceleration, but i bet it helps the top speed as well since it might pull redline in 6th, around 150...

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  18. Cajun Road Warrior

yeah, that's a good one 175......... I pushed mine hard to get 160......but that is just what the speedo said. anyway I still plan to buy a GPS to confirm it. I'm afraid I may be disapointed to see the speedo lies.

19. Cynycl1

Cynycl1 New Member

Many years ago, when I was young and foolish, I owned an 86 700 Sabre. I know its not a Ceptor, but it's V4, shaft drive, NAKED sport tourer. As with ALL riders at some time, I thought "How fast will this thing go?" I was riding the I495 in MA when I hit 129mph at 7500 rpm in 6th. Redline on that thing was 10500rpm. I was still accelerating when some friggin old lady moved in front of me in a Buick doin 55. There was some very nervous persperation, and a whole lot of HOLY SH&^$%T bein said while slowing down. That bike handled FLAWLESSLY. I MISS IT TERRIBLY, which is why I found myself an 85 VF500 project a couple months ago. Cant wait to do it again, 20+ years later.

20. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Highway, wont say which =) 136mph and was still pulling..... HARD. Completely stock
    5th gen. With the new exhaust and service, i may try and better that on the track just to see. <WEG>