VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Excalibur105

Excalibur105 New Member

I´ve already calibrated the bike with a gps in the same way as you discribed, had my girlfriend on the backseat with a gps and went out to the nearest straight road and held 100km/h. The calibration with a 15 frontsprocket ended up beeing -12,6%.

I´ve also allready done the flapper removal, mounted an aftermarket exhaust and k&n filter.

I´ve now ordered a new backsprocket 45, I know it will not improve my top speed probably reduce it more, but hopefully I´ll be able to use those last revs in the sixth gear.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i dont want to be a buzz kill here but the kn isnt gonna gain you any power... it has about half the filter area as the stock filter. pretty much the same flow rate as the stock filter except that it is reusable.
    you should deffinetely look into a power commander though.
    by the way what kind of exhaust are you running?

3. vfrevolution

vfrevolution New Member

Map
    I have done 155+ in my 750f .... Of course that was when it was running and in one piece haha... It'll be back soon.

4. Excalibur105

Excalibur105 New Member

Don´t think I could gain so much power from an airfilter, I bought the K&N just because it´s reusable. I allready have a powercommander installed, but not mapped correctly yet, just one of those downloadable from their website.
    It´s not a compleat exhaust system just the slip on without the bufflers. Leovince Evo 2.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    well then, with everything said, i think your in need of a good custom tune...

6. Excalibur105

Excalibur105 New Member

I´ll give it a go, just want to make the bike go as smooth as possible before I drive it to the tuning centre.
    Thanks for all the advice, I´ll post later on how it worked out.

7. VFRNB

VFRNB New Member

Canada
    Map
    Mine tops out at 134.8 mph on GPS , riding solo, stock gearing. Its an 2006.

8. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

I hit 125 on my own, 115 with my girl ridin' too... honestly, I don't like to redline... but the bike was pushin' only 7.5 of it's 12 rpm's, so I'm sure it had more in it... I just get nervous when I'm haulin' ass on CA freeways, cops don't like it... btw, I'm on one of the ancients, a 1987 700 :D

9. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    (we prefer to call them experienced bikes)

10. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I never wanted to post on this thread but when I got on kris's 92 It had more to go rpm wise at 125mph but was kind of falling on its face, Maybe a jetting issue, and She has never conplained that it was lacking in any way. any btw, my 04 FZ1 was at 162 before I got out of it before I missed my exit. a Kid a Mustang Cobra SVT wanted to rev his V8 by my 1 liter, I waved to him at 150 before I shifted into sixth.

11. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

gotta love it... these punks have to start recognizin' that no matter how much they mod a car, it'll never catch a well-made crotch rocket
    :hump: take that, subarus and neons LMAO

12. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Not that speedos are accurate, but I think I hit like 88 once...

;-P

13. chadfrentz

chadfrentz New Member

220 km / hr on my stock 6th gen - there was a little more left but it would have taken more than I wanted to spend at that speed winding it out.... ( although 180 to 200 was real quick with the VTEC)

It was dusk and I couldn't help thinking what would I do if I saw a deer just now....

14. Rammer

Rammer New Member

Just found this thread....

Last year I tried this:
    Oklahoma, long flat straight roads.
    04 Viffer, stock, only 8K miles on the clock. Just did plugs an oil change and had mixed up some pump and race gas. Went out west to a county where a deputy sheriff friend would radar check my speed.

I weigh about 145 lbs, had slippery tight leathers and a new 'M' Shoei helmet.

Air temp 70 degrees F, 2:00 Am, no wind, Six mile south to north run.
    Great road, no gradient - very level, recent asphalt resurface, no joint cracks. Did five runs, best was 165 MPH-Radar, 163MPH-GPS, 168MPH indicated. Bike very smooth and stable.

God I love this bike. :thumbsup:

(Edit)Also to add...I ride bicycles so I spent some time on the VFR wheels and tires before this. I had done a static and then dynamic balance on each tire and wheel. Also had 48 psi back and 42 psi front. Checked with tires warmed up before initial run.
    Hand pumped them with a bike pump to loosen up and relax the rider. Chain was fresh oiled with a silicone based oil while it was hot before first run. Made sure brake pads were not touching any disks.
    I had a borrowed dampener on the steering. Had an added switch to turn off headlights for starting in cold temps. On the night of the run it was moonlit so for one run I turned off the added load on the electrical system. I don't think it made a difference. WOT on all runs. Runs got faster because of less weight as the fuel burned off.

Did I say how much I love this bike?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    that is probably one of the highest gps radar certified numbers so far. pretty unbelievable for a dead stock bike:eek:... good job bro!:thumbsup:

16. funskymcdoogle

funskymcdoogle New Member

that confirms my gps top speed in the low 160's, although Rammer has used the most scientific method so far, wish I had access to that , it is very believable, I would like to know what the deviation was from the speedo reading and the actual? I know mine reads about 4 mph higher than actual, but gps is +/- 20ft

17. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Huh?

OK, I hate to be a bit of a party pooper here, and don't want to start a Flame War or anything :)flamer:), BUT, perhaps a bit of a reality check for me is needed here: The question is "VFR Top Speed is ????"

The VFR is NOT a dedicated race-replica bike, I think we can all agree to that. The 2009 Suzuki GSXR600 is.

The Suzie's stats are:
    110 RWHP
    432 lbs.

The current Interceptor's stats are:
    ~100 RWHP
    540 lbs.

The 2009 GSXR600's top speed is 158 MPH. I'm finding it a bit difficult to believe that a bike with less ponies and much heavier somehow has a higher top speed... Per Cycle World's stats, the top speed of a 6th Gen VFR800 is 148 MPH (Cycle World - Speed Wagons), while SportRider says 151MPH for 5th (http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_9806_honda_vfr800/index.html) and 146MPH for an '05 according to VisorDown.com (http://www.visordown.com/articles/view/road-test-r1200st-v-st3-v-vfr800-v-sprint-st/4554.html). Which would be more inline with my expectations.

Now, I also know that top speed is more a component of HP, aerodynamics (per klee27x), gearing, and weather conditions; I also know that given enough "runway", weight doesn't play that much of a role in top speed. However, the math is still the math.

Y'all must have some seriously, highly modified Viffers out there... However, that fly's in the face with the fact that on multiple posts here, it is made clear that the VFR is not the best bike to mod out and doesn't have that many "go fast" parts... AND if we were asking here what is the absolute top speed of the Viffer, we should just get a hold of A&A and call it good, cause I doubt anyone's VFR makes more ponies and could go faster than their supercharged bike.

So my answer is: ~148MPH stock & whatever A&A's bike's top speed is, for the "modified class".

Pulls pin on grenade from outside door, tosses into room, smiles and waits...:kaboom:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  18. klee27x

klee27x New Member

United States
    Weight has almost nothing to do with top speed, unless you're going up/downhill. It's all about horsepower and aerodynamics.

19. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Um, I said that...

20. Bernieswanson

Bernieswanson New Member

United States
    Map
    I seem to recall...

Back in '86 when I bought my 2nd Interceptor (first VFR), seems Honda took a box stock 750 and ran it non-stop for like 24 hours with a team of riders.
    This was not the planned bike either. It was an in-stock replacement at a dealership, to which they added a modified fuel cap for quick refueling. They ran it over 3600 miles that day. It averaged 150 MPH. That does not beat the 158 MPH of the gixers today, but that was 23 years ago. Damn, that made me grin to ride that bike back then. I still grin and enjoy the looks it still gets.

That 150 was no BS as it was fully wittnessed and certified. I believe that record still stands today, at least for that class. But who'd be crazy enough to try and reproduce that today?