VFR track bike-preguntas

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by willy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. willy

willy New Member

Uhm...Hello. I'm willy and I wreck things. I also go on a bit, but bear with me.

My friends think I'm nutz, but I was looking for a v twin track bike (not a inline 4 fan) and couldn't find one in my price range, so I bought a low mile but mildly crashed '04 VFR 800 for surprisingly cheap-essentially a naked bike d/t plastic smashage. I was racing a SV650 back in 2000/2001 but have not been on the track since except once last summer on my V-strom which was pretty cool....as you can see, my expectations arent as high as some peoples; so I feel like this bike should be a fun if not super hard edged ride. My friends find this statement laughable...but never mind them for a minute...the small amount of riding I've done on this bike thus far suggests its about ten times the bike my old NT650 was.

Anyway, I have Questions: I'm not sure how much extreme abuse these vtec motors will handle or how a few track days at Road America (known for longish straights) might effect the valve adjustement interval. If I thought things would go kerblewi at a early date, I might spend some quality time on e bay and just replace the plastic and sell it....since i'm thinking adventure touring this thing is probably out.

I see the bike is somewhat big boned but certainly has to be better on the track than a v strom, or "the sparkler" as I like to call it, since it left trails of sparks at ever corner...so before I digress further, I wonder how the Interceptor will take to having it's catalitic converter removed and stock pipes replaced with something lighter? will the seat then start on fire, or worse, my butt? Will this lead to obligatory Power Commanderage? last but not least, does this bike favor a particular tire. In the past I was kind of into pilots but i've been out of the pavement game for awhile...though I can certainly pontificate about ice racing tires.

Any info on likely high wear items or the overall feasibility of thrashing this bike nearly but not completely quite to death would be appreciated. it's maiden voyage to Road America is nye

2. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    To keep it as simple as possible in response I'll say this: the motor will take the abuse. Forget that part.

I've ridden my VFR at couple times in Advanced with NESBA, you will have no problem riding it if you are from a racing background. The bike requires very smooth inputs both from braking and suspension standpoint. You can upset the chassis very easily if you start to ham-fist it.

Yes you will be a sparkler again. Right handers tend to drag the lower part of the exhaust especially with uphill, off-camber turns. I have personally never dragged the centerstand although sometimes I wonder how. As long as you're getting off the bike, you should be OK.

In terms of exhaust, sure you can remove the cat. I think guys do a 5th-gen to 6th-gen swap but I don't have any details on that. I never thought it was worth the hassle. I just replaced the tailpipes which does save some weight. Most guys would recommend a PowerCommander. The bikes tends to surge without the proper fuel mapping. Do a search for the exhaust and power commander, countless threads about it.

One word of caution: the brakes WILL develop fade without warning. I've never been to Road Atlanta but the way you describe it you may be OK with the long straights. I had a hard time with the brakes on my VFR at Carolina Motorsports Park. There are a couple bus stop turns and other hard braking areas that toasted the stock lines and fluild.

Other then that, have at it. The friends that laugh will stop quickly when you pass them :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^^

Listen to Two4One.

Now I'll add my two cents.

Without knowing your budget and some other factors, I'd say if you are going to track the VFR. Upgrade the brake pads and lines (Stainless steel Galfer ones) and with EBC HH pads.

Also, consider replacing the springs with ones from Race Tech for your weight.

Pretty inexpensive mods that can reap dividends. And if you do track it, please post pics. Others on here take their VFR's to the track...we like extra pics!

BZ

4. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent points Bubba. Don't know why I didn't mention it myself. I've been using HH pads so long it's become "stock" for me. I haven't done the springs either because I'm cheap which makes stainless lines out of the question.

I'd like to take the VFR to a track again this year for the fun of it. We'll see.

5. willy

willy New Member

Thanks. yeah, I did notice the suspension is a little soft. the thing that freaks me out the most thus far is that I'm in the habit of dragging the rear brake a bit as I set up for the corners so the linked brake thing makes the front end drop a little at when i'm not expecting it. I'm thinking stiffer springs and a little smoothness will help there.

There seems to be a plethora of folks trying to make money by taking pictures at these local track days so its pretty easy to just link to their sites.

ps, it's Road America up in Wisconsin, not Road Atlanta. the tip on the brake fade will come in handy since I just signed up for a date at Blackhawk Farms in Illinois which is sort of a paved MX track.

track map- RA track is over 4 miles long with some nice elevation changes
    Road America Track Map - Corvette Racing

6. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Man I need to wake up this morning. I saw "Road" and automatically figured Road Atlanta.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with those guys. The engine will handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. I took my VFR to the track back in December. The biggest enhancements I made were racetech springs and gold valves up front and a stiff penske in the rear AND I had steel braided lines from Galfer. No fade whatsoever. Before that I was squishing down in corners on hwy one and dragging the midpipe and the centerstand even with my big ass off the seat. after stiffening up it rides much better... the vfr's weight will work you though. after my sessions, I could definitely tell I'd been on a bigger bike. I would have loved to do just one session on an sv650 to get some rest! ;)