VFR wheel balance adapter

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Captain 80s, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    So, before I mounted the VFR wheel on the Hawk I used the modified spindle as an adapter, which worked great. I knew I had some time before I would need an adapter and I thought about buying the cheapest VFR spindle I could find on eBay and using that. Cheaper than any aftermarket adapter.

Well my buddy has 2003 VFR and just bought new tires. He was coming over to my shop to mount and balance them. Then I remembered I didn't have an adapter. Told him to come anyway we'll do the front and we can mount the rear and he can ride home (about a mile) and take the wheel off and drop it off at a shop for a balance. Maybe I could find something around the shop to use.

I had the conical back of the BIG socket used to tighten the Hawk spindle with another smaller socket on the inside, and it was close. Probably doable, but it wasn't a great interface, it wanted to wobble a bit. So I'm digging thru drawers and tool boxes trying different combos. I'm standing next to my bench where some leftover Hawk items (installed a modified spindle and 1994 VFR wheel) are still laid out, drinking my beer and, "what do we have here?"

20210715_065018.jpg
    20210715_065023.jpg
    It was perfect, like it was made for it. Even has two "sizes" by flipping it over.

SPACER, CENTERLOCK
    42607-MN8-000

ridervfr likes this.
  2. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Kind of off the subject but can you effectively balance a stock Hawk wheel with this washer and stock spindle? I have yet to try this just wondering.

Probably better for me to post this on HawkGT.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Think you might need an extra one for the other side on a Hawk wheel.